IGNORED

Andy King apologises

CyderInACan

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Pring had been booked….I wonder if King did….probably not, but just wondered.

From the highlights you can see it's King who, after the penalty is given, clearly 'crosses the line' in his vocal protestations to the ref and gets a yellow.

The way in which he walked straight off without turning back after the second yellow challenge too suggested IMO he knew exactly what was happening. 

Shame as it's petulant stuff from an old pro, just as he's returning too and just when the game was there to be won for us. 

Apology is however accepted - we're all human.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jacki said:

That phone in on Radio Bristol, and the texts and tweets they were reading out, really wound me up last night. Multiple ‘not good enough’ and ‘Pearson out’ type remarks after what was one of our better, and certainly most committed, performances of the season. Some of the contributors have an agenda that they stick to regardless of how the game plays out.

Ian Gay’s protestations that the ref only got one decision wrong all night was one of his classics as well. I swear that guy should be a Talksport ‘shock jock’ presenter, saying ludicrous and contrary things for clicks and to attract furious callers. For years and years he used to say we need a manager like Nigel Pearson. About 2 months after Pearson joined, he was calling for his head! Ridiculous. 

That bloke is just a ten a penny knee jerking know-all who loves the sound of his own voice and can't stand anyone with an opposing view. He just reacts to results.

I hit the mute button when he spouts his rubbish and he is the reason I've stopped listening to the pod cast he is on.

Mind you, there are a few other ignorant and negative feckwits that get on RB for both clubs in this city. Its time that the format was changed for the after match programme, its getting predictable and stale.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That bloke is just a ten a penny knee jerking know-all who loves the sound of his own voice and can't stand anyone with an opposing view. He just reacts to results.

I hit the mute button when he spouts his rubbish and he is the reason I've stopped listening to the pod cast he is on.

Mind you, there are a few other ignorant and negative feckwits that get on RB for both clubs in this city. Its time that the format was changed for the after match programme, its getting predictable and stale.

Can’t recall if it was Ian or Mark who thanked “our” listeners last night before correcting himself to “your”.  I get the impression with either of them that it wouldn’t have just been a slip of the tongue. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, tin said:

King’s a City fan. If I was on the pitch last night and the ref was giving every decision against us, I’d bloody well let him know about it as well especially after the ref didn’t give the Scott pen. I’m sure many of us who’ve played to a decent level have experienced this sort of red mist before.

His second booking was the sort of shithousery we’ve lacked for years. How many times have we said before take a booking on halfway to stop a counter-attack? I’ve no issue with that at all, and fair play for apologising. I don’t actually think he’s responsible for the defeat either; we played well with 10 men against 12.

The shithousery is fine but that was stupidity. He’s on a yellow! Just because we raised our game with 10 doesn’t make it a good decision. You wouldn’t want us to lose a man every game after an hour - we’d lose most times.

Respectfully.

Actually the thing that slightly jarred with me was Pearson blaming the ref and deflecting the blame away from a player (city fan or not) that he’d brought in for his ‘’experience’’. Now I don’t expect or would want Pearson to throw him under the bus, and ultimately King is responsible for his own actions, but it just didn’t sit right with me. Don’t get me wrong though, the ref was poor.

Edited by steveybadger

5 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

The shithousery is fine but that was stupidity. He’s on a yellow! Just because we raised our game with 10 doesn’t make it a good decision. You wouldn’t want us to lose a man every game after an hour - we’d lose most times.

Respectfully.

Actually the thing that slightly jarred with me was Pearson blaming the ref and deflecting the blame away from a player (city fan or not) that he’d brought in for his ‘’experience’’. Now I don’t expect or would want Pearson to throw him under the bus, and ultimately King is responsible for his own actions, but it just didn’t sit right with me. Don’t get me wrong though, the ref was poor.

So you did want Pearson to throw King under the bus then? King will get fined for getting the dissent booking and it will be kept "in-house". Experienced players do daft things sometimes and always have done since football started. Shouldn't happen but it does. Not everyone can live an error free life like half the pundits on here......and before anyone says getting £10K per week has got **** all to do with it, mistakes happen.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Respectfully.

If King lets Johansen skip past him and it led to them going 2-1 up, how would you react then? It’s a tactical foul and I’ve got no issue with it, regardless if he’s on a booking or not. That said, I thought Pring was booked for the dodgy pen given against us and didn’t realise it was King until after he’d gone. 

I’m not someone for slagging off refs, but Andy Davies was incompetent and from @Olé’s thread it seems like his performance is part of a pattern rather than an exception. I can understand King getting in his ear and NP criticising him; he deserved it IMO. If NP throws King under the bus, he’d get shit from certain quarters for doing that. 

We played well, deserved at least a point, and were on the wrong end of some woeful decisions. Hopefully that luck evens itself out over the course of the season. It usually does. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Wouldn’t surprise if ref was booking for the foul and got the wrong player, would cap his performance perfectly. 

A great point, and not impossible either.

There was some suggestion that King may not have been aware he was on a yellow. Anymore on this anyone?

Edited by AppyDAZE

48 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

The second yellow would have been a good yellow to take if you weren’t already on a yellow bloody card! Moronic. But at least he’s fronted up, fair play. 

Yes it was stupid but bear in mind you’ve got a split second to make that decision and his instinct would have been to foul the bloke because 999 times out of 1000 that is the right thing to do in that situation. It’s not a quiz show where you have 10 seconds to think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

His second booking was the sort of shithousery we’ve lacked for years. How many times have we said before take a booking on halfway to stop a counter-attack? I’ve no issue with that at all, and fair play for apologising. I don’t actually think he’s responsible for the defeat either; we played well with 10 men against 12.

I'm pretty sure the idea of this is to stop the opposition creating a scoring chance and only having a foul to deal with, rather than playing the rest of the game with 10 men.

The guy obviously cares, in the heat of the battle these things happen.
Rather have his approach than others in the side who clearly don’t give a shite at times. They just don’t try.
AK has been badly missed IMO. One of the better performances last night. It was really pleasing to see midfield and defence actually working together last night. NP can take some positives.

• Like 2

He should have been yelling at Pring for the stupid foul leading to the penalty award rather than the ref who was never going to change his mind and was just gagging to get a card out. I think King was just venting the frustration we all felt in that exact moment. 

Live and learn, onwards and upwards ?

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

Can’t recall if it was Ian or Mark who thanked “our” listeners last night before correcting himself to “your”.  I get the impression with either of them that it wouldn’t have just been a slip of the tongue. 

I think they perceive themselves as part of the show! 

50 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So you did want Pearson to throw King under the bus then? King will get fined for getting the dissent booking and it will be kept "in-house". Experienced players do daft things sometimes and always have done since football started. Shouldn't happen but it does. Not everyone can live an error free life like half the pundits on here......and before anyone says getting £10K per week has got **** all to do with it, mistakes happen.

No I didn’t want him thrown under the bus. I just have an aversion to managers criticising refs, whether they’ve been rubbish or not. Pearson himself said he doesn’t normally comment on refs, but that means nothing if the first time we have a crap one he immediately blames him. Or to put it another way, it’s easy not to comment on refs when they don’t give poor decisions against you.

In addition, of course everyone makes mistakes ( inc experienced people) and salary is irrelevant.  But that also includes refs

52 minutes ago, tin said:

If King lets Johansen skip past him and it led to them going 2-1 up, how would you react then? It’s a tactical foul and I’ve got no issue with it, regardless if he’s on a booking or not. That said, I thought Pring was booked for the dodgy pen given against us and didn’t realise it was King until after he’d gone. 

I’m not someone for slagging off refs, but Andy Davies was incompetent and from @Olé’s thread it seems like his performance is part of a pattern rather than an exception. I can understand King getting in his ear and NP criticising him; he deserved it IMO. If NP throws King under the bus, he’d get shit from certain quarters for doing that. 

We played well, deserved at least a point, and were on the wrong end of some woeful decisions. Hopefully that luck evens itself out over the course of the season. It usually does. 

I’d suggest that you are highly likely to lose if you play any length of time with 10 men, and although QPR may have scored it certainly wasn’t guaranteed. I’d have no issue with the foul if he wasn’t already on a yellow, which let’s not forget he got for arguing about the award of a pretty obvious pen (yes I know he missed our even more obvious one). And yes I agree the ref was generally poor, but as somebody else pointed out in the other thread he’s refereed us on a number of other occasions without incidents

That said it was a spur of the moment decision by King and I’m sure we’ve all made similar decisions in life that might not have been the best. Anyway, I agree we did play well and luck will even out (ish). Onwards and upwards.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the one that rankles is the yellow card for dissent. That’s a yellow that should never happen, particularly from an experienced pro.

As for the second yellow, I think it showed King up a touch for sharpness/speed in the first part (he had the ball, but got it nicked away), but once that had happened, it was a foul I’d expect most players to make - they had players on the break and if the foul isn’t made, it’d be a very threatening scenario. It’s what most of us would describe as a “good foul”, it’s just that the wrong player, as he was already on a yellow, that made it.

So bizarrely, I can kind of understand the second yellow more than the first. I’d want my players to make that foul in that position 99 times out of 100 so his instinct was to do that.

I guess without the first card it was a classic "take one for the team" scenario. However, although a breakaway attack is always threatening, I believe Pring was still behind him and could intercept or at least slow down Johansen. Apart from Willock, I don't think QPR were a particularly fast team and we were likely to get back and defend. Once King had lost the ball, the best he could do was shadow the runner to make a pass difficult. 

41 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

but that means nothing if the first time we have a crap one he immediately blames him.

Think we’ve had plenty of bad refs, but generally their errors are reasonably balanced between the teams, yesterday’s performance was so poor it was odd and became difficult not to cast aspersions on his character, given the extent to which his errors favoured QPR. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tin said:

King’s a City fan. If I was on the pitch last night and the ref was giving every decision against us, I’d bloody well let him know about it as well especially after the ref didn’t give the Scott pen. I’m sure many of us who’ve played to a decent level have experienced this sort of red mist before.

I agree with most of what you wrote but he is at least partly responsible for the defeat, I would have expected us to be better with him on the pitch.

Edited by pillred
Punctuation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The thing is he could have said **** all and some smart arse would be accusing him of just being here to pick up a wage and not giving a toss.

Hes played in the euros, and in the nou camp and is a millionaire,, i dont think he particularly gives a shit about getting sent off against qpr, regardless of what a tweet might say

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes it was stupid but bear in mind you’ve got a split second to make that decision and his instinct would have been to foul the bloke because 999 times out of 1000 that is the right thing to do in that situation. It’s not a quiz show where you have 10 seconds to think.

Probably not a good time to make this point ( after last night ). But, what you have said in defence of a player, is exactly the scenario for the referee in every decision they have to make. 

The guy is clearly in a no win situation. To some if he apologizes, it's damage done, put it right on the pitch

and if he doesn't, he doesn't care etc

It's the sort of thing that can and does happen to all players, of all ages and experience.

I thought he was playing well too.

Still can't get over the refereeing and the fact that a few have defended him.

We've all heard of a homer, but this man was definitely and awayer

Even the QPR fans thought it.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 5

Let’s face it the Referee last night was absolutely crap ?. The yellow card was waving about so much he had no idea who he was booking as long as they were in a red shit. 
King made a mistake but there was a lot of all in wrestling going on under the referees nose he just happened to spot Kings attempt surprise surprise. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Probably not a good time to make this point ( after last night ). But, what you have said in defence of a player, is exactly the scenario for the referee in every decision they have to make. 

If a player gets so many split second decisions wrong they are in the National League before too long. Refs like the one we had last night will carry on regardless. I know you defend refs but this one had a stinker, no defence at all.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Hes played in the euros, and in the nou camp and is a millionaire,, i dont think he particularly gives a shit about getting sent off against qpr, regardless of what a tweet might say

So with you he can’t win then. Say nothing and he doesn’t give a toss, apologise and he doesn’t give a toss either.

• Like 6