IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

Meh. Millwall now happy to let us pass it around in front of them, wait for the mistake, then break quickly and effectively. Feeling like one of our efforts from the end of last season; lots of inexperience on show. Three home defeats on the bounce would be a real worry. This is not a starting 11 I fear that is going to avoid a relegation battle.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Some decent and too much bad, again. 

Different game to the QPR in that we’re having to work very hard to create chances, COD for example nowhere near the space to operate in and this is when he looks 1 dimensional as he can’t work his way into the game.

Pring, good game so far.

Thought we were pressing well, resulting in our goal (very well taken by Andi) but we went from looking in control to having our inexperience badly exposed:

Unfortunately Benarous a liability today, losing possession too easily costing us momentum that helped Millwall get a foothold in the game.

Towler I’m afraid, after a decent start has had an absolutely shocking 10 minutes. Lost his man for the first goal and then an absolute school boy challenge for the penalty. Dire. That’s putting it politely. Will he get hooked at halftime?

Vyner seemingly bypassed at will on our right wing too often.

Scott and James looking decent in possession. 

Semenyo buzzing around as ever and looks a thorn. Need more balls like Kalas’ into the channels for him and Weimann as we look like we can hurt them there.

Will be tough to get back in it to it though as no doubt a well organised Millwall will make it very difficult.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see HT changes. 

Max error on the goal. He comes and catches that ball easily and Towler mistake isn’t remembered 

• Like 1

I have no idea where we are going as a football club anymore, just miles off the pace today after a decent start again.

Why is Towler starting over Atkinson? What's going on with Bentley? Why can't Dasilva get a game?

I'm all for seeing the young lads get a chance but Scott and Benarous together in midfield is too lightweight against a streetwise team like Millwall.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Meh. Millwall now happy to let us pass it around in front of them, wait for the mistake, then break quickly and effectively. Feeling like one of our efforts from the end of last season; lots of inexperience on show. Three home defeats on the bounce would be a real worry. This is not a starting 11 I fear that is going to avoid a relegation battle.

They were always going to play like that once they got in front. They’re not that good but will be well organised. 

On 12/12/2021 at 08:39, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Loans are a bit pointless unless you really think we might go down with current squad? I know Jan is more difficult than the summer to get talent in but I'd like to see us getting a few Tanner/Atkinson like signings. Ones that fit the profile of player nige wants, that can help this season but that will clearly improve for years 2/3 of the project and have sell on value.

Assuming nige plans to ultimately move to a back 4-id like to see a physical/mobile striker, a left back, an attacking midfielder and a winger in Jan. all above 6 foot, good injury records, have pace and can handle the ball! 

Would try and get rid of JD & Palmer if at all possible-not niges type of player.  Then try and get rid of wells and replace with a vardy type player in the summer. 

On 11/12/2021 at 20:03, Swede said:

I guess I am in the minority here but I firmly believed the way forward was with KP45, with Afobe in tandem. While I would admit he's lost his way since, there is so much talent in abundance just simply going to waste.

He has to look at himself but I also think it's up to the coaches to find the key to unlock the undoubted potential & get the best out of each & every player in the squad and that includes KP45.

On 17/12/2021 at 22:06, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I am - West Brom's kit is making it an easier watch than it might have been otherwise 

On 18/12/2021 at 22:55, YGBjammy said:

Utterly bizarre. I guess Scott has looked okay at RWB but even thats not ideal. Pring seemed an obvious choice, even if you only play him for 70mins then get DaSilva on for 20? 

On 19/12/2021 at 15:41, Lrrr said:

On 24/12/2021 at 16:29, Roger Red Hat said:

On 30/12/2021 at 23:47, BCFCGav said:

We have to put a complaint in against that ref. We’ve been ******* robbed of any chance in that game. He needs to be seriously scrutinised. Never felt so fuming after a match.

On 01/01/2022 at 14:42, Taz said:

Disgraceful. We clearly need something to bolster the squad, and 12 hours 43 minutes after the window has opened we have nothing.

Same old City, always playing catch up.

A

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
11 minutes ago, TomF said:

Maybe Nigel is making a point to the board that he needs some reinforcements.. 

There are many possible reasons, but the most likely unfortunately is that he sometimes makes very poor decisions that really don’t work out and end up costing us.  This looks like one of those and I thought  it was harsh on Atkinson who did okay last game, unless there are fitness issues there.

Another of those poor decisions was that he signed Simpson which means we have no back up right back, and Vyner has to play out of position there, when he’s been good recently in the middle.  

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

We look poor most games let’s be honest. We are in genuine dire straits at the minute

I feel so sorry for these kids. The responsibility being put on them is not fair 

We have some talent there but Scott aside, very few of them are ready for this standard of football. 

Spot on... i actually wonder if Pearson is playing the academy lads as it gives him a "get out of jail free" card when it all goes wrong. Fans will have more understanding if the kids get beat?

Lets be honest he has tried numerous formations and team selections and nothing has really worked and looked convincing for the past 12 months

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sturny said:

I wonder what Kalas thinks about his time here, I reckon he regrets the perm move. 

Of course he does, when he signed it would have been on the basis we would be pushing for top 6 consistently. He is now surrounded by our academy players with the team plummeting down the league, he'll be gone at the first opportunity

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Shame the first 15 minutes positivity got knocked out of us by the first goal. Towler and O'leary should have done better with the cross for their goal. Pen I'm less blaming Towler as Afobe was through and he was coming over to cover. If he had not dived in, a very good scoring opportunity. After that the game passed us by. Shame, as we have tried to keep the ball on the ground but the crisp early pass and movement was gone. Confidence is a big thing . I do think we can get back in it, but we will need to be more competitive in the middle. Would expect HNM in place of Ayman B as first change . 

The second was caused by the ease of Afobe getting away from Towler imo. To slow to react to what was happening in front of him. 

Dont wanna dig him out but this is what happens when you put players not capable of this level against the likes of Afobe and Bradshaw. Shocking decision to play him today imo. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Offside said:

Depressing. We are slow in possession, give away the ball way too easily and are wide open. Second best by far. 

Yep, we don’t have the imagination and creativity to break through team sitting back closing all the space down.

Its concerning that we just look totally all over the place against a front 2 with a bit of guile.