IGNORED

Millwall at home match day thread

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Shame the first 15 minutes positivity got knocked out of us by the first goal. Towler and O'leary should have done better with the cross for their goal. Pen I'm less blaming Towler as Afobe was through and he was coming over to cover. If he had not dived in, a very good scoring opportunity. After that the game passed us by. Shame, as we have tried to keep the ball on the ground but the crisp early pass and movement was gone. Confidence is a big thing . I do think we can get back in it, but we will need to be more competitive in the middle. Would expect HNM in place of Ayman B as first change . 

The way I see it, it was a good scoring opportunity - but not as good as a penalty. By diving in, he was never going to get the ball and risked a red card as well as a near-certain pen. Better to let him shoot than commit a kamikaze foul.

• Like 3
Just now, Andy082005 said:

We look poor most games let’s be honest. We are in genuine dire straits at the minute

I feel so sorry for these kids. The responsibility being put on them is not fair 

We have some talent there but Scott aside, very few of them are ready for this standard of football. 

It's certainly a very tough time to be a City fan. I for one am finding it very hard to get much enjoyment out of watching us. Very frustrating. Mrs City_USA keeps asking why I put myself through it week in and week out. I'm starting to wonder myself. Really hope we can get some fresh faces in this window to give us some optimism, but fully understand if we're unable to do so. Can only think that it's going to get worse before it gets better. Will I keep watching? Of course I will. It's the hope that kills you right? COYR! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Shame the first 15 minutes positivity got knocked out of us by the first goal. Towler and O'leary should have done better with the cross for their goal. Pen I'm less blaming Towler as Afobe was through and he was coming over to cover. If he had not dived in, a very good scoring opportunity. After that the game passed us by. Shame, as we have tried to keep the ball on the ground but the crisp early pass and movement was gone. Confidence is a big thing . I do think we can get back in it, but we will need to be more competitive in the middle. Would expect HNM in place of Ayman B as first change . 

Got to look at Vyner, the cross was far far to easy. They surely must have looked at that type of threat before the game.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

This is beginning to feel dire. We have no formal mid-field and just keep getting pulled from pillar to post. 

I genuinely cannot see where our opportunities are going to come from....Millwall will come out and park the bus, frustrate us and then hope to capitalise on a quick counter. 

AS is not a striker.....he's often behind COD and AW......can't score if you're not in contention. Equally should have done better on the clear cut opportunity he had....that would ha e made the game an entirely different prospect. 

In short one step forward (despite the loss to QPR) and two back. 

Going to be a long second half. 

Edited by MelksRed
1 minute ago, dREDful said:

The second was caused by the ease of Afobe getting away from Towler imo. To slow to react to what was happening in front of him. 

Dont wanna dig him out but this is what happens when you put players not capable of this level against the likes of Afobe and Bradshaw. Shocking decision to play him today imo. 

This was always going to be the case unfortunately .

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Embarrassing all round, the team selection, the performance. Everything. Time for NP to go 

:laugh: its half time, everyone before the game was saying well done for all the youth, then when were only a goal down at half time, you say this crap, our fan base is truly embarrassing! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 5
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

The way I see it, it was a good scoring opportunity - but not as good as a penalty. By diving in, he was never going to get the ball and risked a red card as well as a near-certain pen. Better to let him shoot than commit a kamikaze foul.

Poor judgement call, it's what's deserved when playing a mass of yutes 

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Spot on... i actually wonder if Pearson is playing the academy lads as it gives him a "get out of jail free" card when it all goes wrong. Fans will have more understanding if the kids get beat?

Lets be honest he has tried numerous formations and team selections and nothing has really worked and looked convincing for the past 12 months

The buck stops with Lansdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

My first half thoughts.

Unfortunately consistent faults are in full view, especially giving the ball away, not looking after the ball well and rarely winning a 50/50 challenge. Again AS is unable to convert from a good scoring opportunity. Defensively we look vulnerable and are getting exposed too easily.
At best we play a very hopeful ball into a space or too frequently pass to them! The penalty resulted from us giving the ball to them when we were in the attacking third. We need to be looking for shorter balls to feet and movement. Millwall are simply getting bodies behind the ball and we aren’t finding a way of passing and moving through them. Next goal is absolutely crucial if they get it game over, if we can score - who knows.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Anyone seen the replays of the goals, thought Afobe looked offside as the ball was played?

Nowhere near, makes it even worse from Towler.

Well after the ball was played and still onside..

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-02 at 14.05.27.jpeg

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

I need to see it again, but Towler was on the left of defence, Afobe was charging down our right channel. Surely it was Kalas who should have had Afobe. First goal he , Towler , let his man get in front of him. 

I think it was a poor pass from Kalas that gave away possession, and meant Kalas was bypassed by the through ball. Doesn't excuse Towler's reckless challenge though 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I need to see it again, but Towler was on the left of defence, Afobe was charging down our right channel. Surely it was Kalas who should have had Afobe. First goal he , Towler , let his man get in front of him. 

Yes the replays showed the fact the Tyler was having to come across, not clear where Kalas was

3 minutes ago, prankerd said:

:laugh: its half time, everyone before the game was saying well done for all the youth, then when were only a goal down at half time, you say this crap, our fan base is truly embarrassing! 

Yep. I said before hand I didn't like it and thought we'd need 3 goals to get anything. I think I'm wrong, we'll probably need 4.