IGNORED

Tom Ritchie 70

GrahamC

At the peak of his playing career, he bought a small 3 bedroom house in Congresbury, directly opposite my mate Rob (still the best butcher in N Somerset, incidentally). When decorating, with the curtains tied up, he was clearly in view, so Rob and I sat in his bedroom for hours just watching, awe struck, sustained with squash made by Rob’s mum. And that, my young forum chums, is footy fanaticism.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

At the peak of his playing career, he bought a small 3 bedroom house in Congresbury, directly opposite my mate Rob (still the best butcher in N Somerset, incidentally). When decorating, with the curtains tied up, he was clearly in view, so Rob and I sat in his bedroom for hours just watching, awe struck, sustained with squash made by Rob’s mum. And that, my young forum chums, is footy fanaticism.

I can’t imagine any of today’s stars buying a small 3 bed house in Congesbury and then decorating with the curtains up.

:disapointed2se:

Happy birthday Tom and a million ‘ thank you’s ‘ for all the pleasure you bought to us fans. 

• Like 2

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Tom is that it was definitely a penalty at Notts Co, FA Cup, Sunday January 1983!

They were in Div 1 and we were just off the bottom of Div 4.

Just like Alex Scott's penalty that never was, so was Tom's. It happened in the final few moments of the second half, right in front of all us City fans. Naturally, I am not biased. Blatant penalty!

8 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of Tom is that it was definitely a penalty at Notts Co, FA Cup, Sunday January 1983!

Just like Alex Scott's penalty that never was, so was Tom's. It happened in the final few moments of the second half, right in front of all us City fans. Naturally, I am not biased. Blatant penalty!

Rachid Harkouk (spelled wrongly I'm sure)

Is that the one?

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Tom agrees 100% and remembers it to this day. Not impressed by the referee, shall we say. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Today is his 70th birthday, an all time great, the only player I have seen who has scored 100 league goals for us & a lovely, modest bloke.

I hope he has a great day.

Hear, hear. Let's hope the team do him proud this afternoon.

Top man. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Rachid Harkouk (spelled wrongly I'm sure)

Is that the one?

Remember that penalty shout very well as a youngish lad amongst 4k City fans that day, crucial as that would have been a huge win , unbelievable decision, referee Norman Glover nearly 40 years on I can't forget :laugh:...

• Flames 1