IGNORED

Weimann - All he does is "run around"

Waconda

Reality is, no better or worse than he was before today’s match. A good player at this level, who works extremely hard. He is an important cog in our team currently & probably a great example to those youngsters around him & coming through. But not a player of finesse or technique, simple as that really. COYR 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Still won’t be signing a decent striker, desperately need a right back and a winger.

Agree. Priorities are both full backs, probably another CB and a a right winger. 

Weimann, Martin and Wells all know where the net is. It’s the service that lets them down.

Edited by Selred
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2015 said:

One of my favourite ever City players. Criminally underappreciated. Been consistent for us ever since he came in

One of my favourite players. Can’t fault his work rate or passion. Granted there are many times when there is no end product as such but I still say we really missed him when he was out that season. Happy to say he has returned fitter than ever and certainly contributes more than he is given credit for.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Agree. Priorities are both full backs, probably another CB and a a right winger. 

Weimann, Martin and Wells all know where the net is. It’s the service that lets them down.

Yeah service is the issue, still yet to replace Eliasson. The hopeful balls over the top need to stop.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I don’t think weimann is either great or poor. What i do say about him is he isn’t the best footballer, the thing that stands out most about him is his work rate. Give him a chance he doesn’t have to think about he can be very good. Give him time to think and i think he looks a far worse player

I said to someone on the way out of the ground that, bar maybe Bobby Reid, I can't remember a player who works so hard for his goals. He deserves his current run that's for sure. 12 goals and 4 assists in a bottom half team is a great return.

He is not a Rolls Royce of a player by any stretch of the imagination, there are times when he barely looks in control of the ball, but he is our Toyota, he keeps going, whatever is put in front of him. 

People often moan that we never get the best out of players, but this is the best goal return of his career, so I think we can see him as an exception to that comment.

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even better was the “stealing a living” comment, one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. 

Yep...........your right there.......it was   quite probably up for the most inappropiate ignorant  remark of the year award.......   anyway it gets my vote.  ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Reality is, no better or worse than he was before today’s match. A good player at this level, who works extremely hard. He is an important cog in our team currently & probably a great example to those youngsters around him & coming through. But not a player of finesse or technique, simple as that really. COYR 

Finesse or technique. You saw his touch for the second goal. Admittedly not Messi or Ronaldo, but in this division he’s as good as anyone on his day and more. 

• Like 1

When Dean Holden was in charge, I started a thread to get rid of AW as I didn't think he fitted in as he was yards ahead of the other players who struggled to catch up and every time he ran up the wing and no one would pass so he would end up at the opposite end of the pitch pointing to where he should have received the ball. 

Under Pearson however, it has clicked and he is now a vital member of the team. My mind has been changed this season and I am glad of this as AW has impressed me a lot. 

Can’t knock his goals or work rate . He’s not technically gifted but he suits where Bristol City are at the moment . We need a hero and we have a goal scoring one . What an achievement considering the service he gets  at times and the constant shuffling of the team that often sees him asked to do a job 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I said to someone on the way out of the ground that, bar maybe Bobby Reid, I can't remember a player who works so hard for his goals. He deserves his current run that's for sure. 12 goals and 4 assists in a bottom half team is a great return.

He is not a Rolls Royce of a player by any stretch of the imagination, there are times when he barely looks in control of the ball, but he is our Toyota, he keeps going, whatever is put in front of him. 

People often moan that we never get the best out of players, but this is the best goal return of his career, so I think we can see him as an exception to that comment.

I think the thing with AW is that he drifts in games; and sometimes is completely anonymous (QPR for example).

We need to get him involved in the games, and maybe the way to do that is by playing him centrally. 

He certainly on current form, is the best finisher at the club. Our movement in the central forward positions has been poor for a while. If Wells is not going to be playing, and Martin playing some role off the bench in the foreseeable future. We could do a lot worse than playing Weimann in the middle of the front three. With Semenyeo moving over to the right wing; and Scott (I know it wasn't his best game today in this position) behind in the 10 role.

• Like 1

Apologies to those that have previously suffered, the Italic bits are a straight copy/paste of a recent post, but seem relevant to this thread.

I was wondering ages back how long before AW would be criticised for scoring too many goals in the same match.
He may not have scored in that many matches, however, in most he will 3 or 4 times leave defences for dead, beating the offside trap, to put himself in a likely scoring/ assist position, only for a safe  pass to be made out to the left or back to midfield.
The times it does go to him, the pass is usually delayed and he's had to check his run and has a defender on top of him. Not his forte.
So should we play to his weaknesses and criticise him, or look to aiding what he does better than most? (Same applies to other criticised players.)

Excluding penalties, only 4 Championship players have scored more and only one of those has provided more assists. I also suspect they get better service and a hell of a lot more opportunities. Also with not following those clubs, I'm totally unaware how much of the boring stuff they're expected to do.
Sure I'd be happier if A.W. danced round defenders like Salah, but unfortunately, complete footballers are beyond our budget. Until then I'll happily settle for Andi.

Update/More Context.
He is now the 4th top scorer even allowing penalties, with only 1 of the others providing more assists, and well on his way to the "Magic" 20 a season.
2 of the other 3 are with Parachute Payment Clubs, the other a 1000-1 long shot to reach 20 goals at the start of the season.

Reality.
Even if the clubs wanted to sell, the other 3 are valued at 8 - 14m more than Andi and surely on loads more money. We won't be buying them.
Even if the clubs would let them go, the players would have to decide between joining us or staying with a club likely to be in the Premiership next season, along with the associated rewards.
Also not happening.
So any suggestions on a guaranteed improvement on Andi, other than finding that 1000-1 striker or that lower league superstar that has proved elusive for years?

As many others have posted, curing a scoring problem by buying a striker, is only a solution if it's your strikers that are the problem.

I'd sum it up as a good player having a great season. He's solid and dependable and every now and then finds the ball at his feet in a position to shoot. If he hits 20 this season then great, but that will be an outlier, and a sign of a hot streak, rather than a transformation into a goal machine.

• Like 1

This player has gradually won me over with time. Fantastic attitude and energy as we knew, but turning into one of those City players that will be remembered for having a good, successful time at BCFC.

Well done, AW. Deserved MOtM and a beautiful hat-trick.

Top guy.

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Finesse or technique. You saw his touch for the second goal. Admittedly not Messi or Ronaldo, but in this division he’s as good as anyone on his day and more. 

As I said, a good player at this level. It was a good goal, great movement/anticipation. But for every great moment of finesse/ technique you can probably find another 3 not so good. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy he’s here, he’d be in my starting eleven. But he is what he is. COYR 

• Hmmm 1

As NP said..he was in the right places at the right time.

Today was a prime example of when he's most effective as a goal scorer.

No time to think...just react. It's when he's best.

Think his second goal was a proper strikers goal. And he anticipated and moved in a way I wish he'd do on a more regular basis.

For everyone of these threads praising him, there will be two after other games doing the opposite.

That's what you've got with Weimann.

If he was technically better he'd be playing for Austria. He hasn't in years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think his second goal was a proper strikers goal. And he anticipated and moved in a way I wish he'd do on a more regular basis.

For everyone of these threads praising him, there will be two after other games doing the opposite.

That's what you've got with Weimann.

If he was technically better he'd be playing for Austria. He hasn't in years.

Exactly this, I think Nige has actually said recently ‘ Andi knows what he’s good at & he knows what he isn’t so good at “. COYR 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I would normally agree with that statement wholeheartedly but the first goal today was super composed. Lobbing the keeper was the perfect finish

We’re not awash with players who’ve got Premier League on their CV to any significant level and Weimann is the only one who plays up front (Wells and Martin 14 Prem appearances between them vs Andi’s 113). Whilst he isn’t Lineker, Fowler or Owen in their pomp, his consistent industry (and generally very intelligent industry), plus less consistent (hint of LJ good/bad runs), but very useful, goal scoring get him on the team sheet every time for me. Whilst he’s liable to poor control and blazing shots high and wide at times, the three finishes today show that he’s a pretty decent natural finisher - think some of those oddly poor touches/finishes distract us from his base level of performance, which is, in line with his Prem credentials, pretty high. 

Has probably had slightly less of career than he might have, due to not being a perfect fit for most roles in most formations: not quite an out and out striker, not quite just behind a main striker, not quite an out and out winger. But overall think we missed him massively last season and may well turn out to be the critical reason we stay up this season. 

• Like 1