IGNORED

Weimann - All he does is "run around"

Waconda

20 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I would normally agree with that statement wholeheartedly but the first goal today was super composed. Lobbing the keeper was the perfect finish

The ball arrived to him fortuatively. Had any other player been in that position, as a professional, I would expect them to score from that position. Keeper miles off his line and not under pressure.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

The ball arrived to him fortuatively. Had any other player been in that position, as a professional, I would expect them to score from that position. Keeper miles off his line and not under pressure.

Not so sure about that, superb, calm finish. Looked much easier than it was - IMO

14 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Not so sure about that, superb, calm finish. Looked much easier than it was - IMO

It was...but standard for this level as a professional. Should be finishing that all day long. 

That's why they are paid massive wages...to do that and make I look easy.

There are amateur footballers that would do the same, every time, but don't have his other attributes.

Simple finish at this level imo...unless standards have dropped considerably.

Just now, spudski said:

It was...but standard for this level as a professional. Should be finishing that all day long. 

That's why they are paid massive wages...to do that and make I look easy.

There are amateur footballers that would do the same, every time, but don't have his other attributes.

Simple finish at this level imo...unless standards have dropped considerably.

Agree to disagree,

At Championship level that type of chance is missed more often than scored - IMO.

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm aware but he sounds brummie

Lived in Birmingham for many years.

Just now, VT05763 said:

Agree to disagree,

At Championship level that type of chance is missed more often than scored - IMO.

Then standards have obviously dropped. Kinnel...the ball has landed at his feet, controlled, steady, keeper off line, no one closing you down, lob into empty net. If a pro can't do that at this level then God help us. That was standard when I played. Not technically hard. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Then standards have obviously dropped. Kinnel...the ball has landed at his feet, controlled, steady, keeper off line, no one closing you down, lob into empty net. If a pro can't do that at this level then God help us. That was standard when I played. Not technically hard. 

Not standard when I played.

Definitely would have been classed as a great finish.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Are you talking the first goal? Think you do him a bit of disservice - easy IMO to either a) slash at that and sky it or b) go for a loopy lob that gives the defence chance to get back and cover/clear (it was what, 20 yards plus out?). He was actually being closed down by 2 players, one of which would have blocked if he’d taken another touch.

It was a good first touch and a slightly ‘sliced’ finish that put the right amount of spin and pace on it to lob the keeper but keep it under the cross bar. 

Good finish for me. Yes expected, but not totally routine IMO.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Just heard him speak for the first time on radio bris. Not what I expected, mad accent. 

Me too!

Thought I heard a bit of scouse on occasions. A real melting pot of accents. 

If ever wanting to stump someone playing ‘guess the accent’ Andi’s your man!

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Are you talking the first goal? Think you do him a bit of disservice - easy IMO to either a) slash at that and sky it or b) go for a loopy lob that gives the defence chance to get back and cover/clear (it was what, 20 yards plus out?). He was actually being closed down by 2 players, one of which would have blocked if he’d taken another touch.

It was a good first touch and a slightly ‘sliced’ finish that put the right amount of spin and pace on it to lob the keeper but keep it under the cross bar. 

Yep agreed.

It does seem an oddly harsh critique of the goal for some reason.

Have gone back and watched it several more times to confirm I wasn't seeing things but around 25 yards out being closed down by 2 defenders and it was a shot not a "simple lob".

Pure quality at any level.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Yep agreed.

It does seem an oddly harsh critique of the goal for some reason.

Have gone back and watched it several more times to confirm I wasn't seeing things but around 25 yards out being closed down by 2 defenders and it was a shot not a "simple lob".

Pure quality at any level.

That should be a bread and butter finish for this level...cmon guys...that isn't technically hard. I'd want that opportunity in a game, every week, when I played. Not hard to finish. If you can't raise the ball, first time over the keeper, into an empty net, from 25 yards centrally, you shouldn't be a pro footballer. Bread and butter touch. 

Austrian Brummie accent from signing for Villa as a 15/16 year old.

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

Decent first touch, little thigh touch, wrong foot volley over the keeper.  You do it a massive disservice.

Thought Weimann had a funny afternoon today.  Some really good stuff, passed it pretty well, but I thought it made some bad runs in the mid-first half when we were struggling.  But all in all, I thought he was very decent, besides his goals.

I think Semenyo’s presence creates space for players like Weimann to make dangerous runs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

That should be a bread and butter finish for this level...cmon guys...that isn't technically hard. I'd want that opportunity in a game, every week, when I played. Not hard to finish. If you can't raise the ball, first time over the keeper, into an empty net, from 25 yards centrally, you shouldn't be a pro footballer. Bread and butter touch. 

This may explain your harshness tbf.

"He does my head in...can't fault his ability to run all day, give his all etc." 

"But he has a foot like a banjo... watching him trying to control a ball is painful..it's foot, shin, knee...freeking everywhere. It's never fully under control. Like a rubber ball tied to a piece of string. So frustrating to watch at this level."

Edited by VT05763

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Decent first touch, little thigh touch, wrong foot volley over the keeper.  You do it a massive disservice.

Thought Weimann had a funny afternoon today.  Some really good stuff, passed it pretty well, but I thought it made some bad runs in the mid-first half when we were struggling.  But all in all, I thought he was very decent, besides his goals.

I think Semenyo’s presence creates space for players like Weimann to make dangerous runs.

Yes the Semenyo/Weimann combo is decent if frantic at times.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

First touch and finish are exactly what I'd expect at this level. Cmon Dave...are you seriously saying you couldn't do that 9/10 when you played? It's not technically hard. Should be something they do daily in training in different circumstances. Simple at this level.

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

This may explain your harshness tbf.

"He does my head in...can't fault his ability to run all day, give his all etc." 

"But he has a foot like a banjo... watching him trying to control a ball is painful..it's foot, shin, knee...freeking everywhere. It's never fully under control. Like a rubber ball tied to a piece of string. So frustrating to watch at this level."

Look at the context that was written in. You've taken something to back your view without context. I also wrote at the same time that he was best centrally and reactionary... exactly like his goals today. No time to think...just reactionary. When he's at his best. I stand by my statement in general for the rest of his game overall.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

As NP said..he was in the right places at the right time.

Today was a prime example of when he's most effective as a goal scorer.

No time to think...just react. It's when he's best.

Think his second goal was a proper strikers goal. And he anticipated and moved in a way I wish he'd do on a more regular basis.

For everyone of these threads praising him, there will be two after other games doing the opposite.

That's what you've got with Weimann.

If he was technically better he'd be playing for Austria. He hasn't in years.

Annoying bit is how true this is for him. 

Wonder if he's had any individual sports psychology work done. I love him to bits, but as soon as the instict gives way to the thought processing he struggles. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

First touch and finish are exactly what I'd expect at this level. Cmon Dave...are you seriously saying you couldn't do that 9/10 when you played? It's not technically hard. Should be something they do daily in training in different circumstances. Simple at this level.

Look at the context that was written in. You've taken something to back your view without context. I also wrote at the same time that he was best centrally and reactionary... exactly like his goals today. No time to think...just reactionary. When he's at his best. I stand by my statement in general for the rest of his game overall.

Decent Banjo though isn't it ?

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree with your discription of weimann a few days ago..he is in a purple patch at moment good for us good for him .he has not scored more than 12 in his career I believe so this is unusual not usual.as nige said he is happy to have him in this form at this moment.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Decent Banjo though isn't it ?

Not really...as Red Colin pointed out...NP is happy to have him in the form he is at the moment. He wouldn't say that if it wasn't normal. 

He has his strengths, and his weaknesses.

Today showed his strengths.

If he could do what he did for his second goal consistently, he'd be another level.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes, you over-expect…it’s why don’t we see so much perfect football from all teams though isn’t it.

I think you are massively underplaying the goal.

9/10 to score…don’t make me laugh.  Left (wrong foot) volley with two players close enough to pressure him. 7% probability (1/14) from infogol.

And it’s much easier to do lots of stuff in training.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Just now, spudski said:

Not really...as Red Colin pointed out...NP is happy to have him in the form he is at the moment. He wouldn't say that if it wasn't normal. 

He has his strengths, and his weaknesses.

Today showed his strengths.

If he could do what he did for his second goal consistently, he'd be another level.

And not playing for us !!!

The only thing stopping him from playing in a lower Prem/Top six Champs team is his inconsistency and much of that could be down to how awful we have been as a team the last 2 seasons.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, you over-expect…it’s why don’t we see so much perfect football from all teams though isn’t it.

9/10 to score…don’t make me laugh.  Left (wrong foot) volley with two players close enough to pressure him. 7% probability (1/14) from infogol.

Yep a 1 in 5 chance at best in that scenario.

On the cusp of getting a Weimann tattoo. We have no prolific goal scorers so Weimann has said f it, I’ll do it. Joint career high tally of 12 goals this season, he’ll break that before the end of this month. A tricky season where Nige has had to take 1/3rd off the wage budget and is set to remove more (fabulous job our gaffer is doing by the way, in Nige we trust), Weimann is a HUMONGOUS part of the reason we are 11 points clear of the drop and in 14th. I can’t put into words in any kind of succinct way the gratefulness I have for our Austrian king. Forza Andi Weimann, ******* dynamite. 

Edited by BCFCGav

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Then standards have seriously dropped. Kinnel...we are paying over £10k a week for that. Should be normal. Seriously Dave...I think we've got so used to seeing players being extremely fit and athletic, at the expense of technical ability. What he did was bread and butter in my day.

12 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

And not playing for us !!!

The only thing stopping him from playing in a lower Prem/Top six Champs team is his inconsistency and much of that could be down to how awful we have been as a team the last 2 seasons.

Exactly what I've implied for a long time. 

Our ethos was to buy players that were extremely good at one thing, and average/ below average at other things.

Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer, Weimann all came under that umbrella.

• Like 1