IGNORED

Well done Nige

dREDful

Good win today just what we needed.but I still feel nige is not the man for us.picked the wrong team and the subs saved us.why wells does not get a chance.whats the problem with Atkinson.and why mass does not start beggars belief.if we have lots of problems in the camp then this needs sorting.and quick.on the plus side a good win and let's hope we can keep scott because this kid is good.happy new year let's hope for a good un.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Good win today just what we needed.but I still feel nige is not the man for us.picked the wrong team and the subs saved us.why wells does not get a chance.whats the problem with Atkinson.and why mass does not start beggars belief.if we have lots of problems in the camp then this needs sorting.and quick.on the plus side a good win and let's hope we can keep scott because this kid is good.happy new year let's hope for a good un.

Having made a £38m loss last season one thing I can promise is Steve won’t be changing managers and adding even more losses we can’t afford any time soon. We are cutting costs not adding them by sacking managers. Who said there are problems in the camp (apart from speculation from one or two nutters on here)?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, redsocks said:

There seems to be a lot of little dots scattered randomly in amongst your words.

Is your keyboard broken?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

God I read some utter merd on this forum sometimes. 

We have had to clear out players and have to continue to do so as LJ SL MA JL and a faceless powerless board of directors made a lot of appalling decisions in respect of player purchases. 

However the silver lining is we get to play our kids along with a few senior pros who are doing as well as anyone can possibly expect. 

if we can finish top half I would be delighted but would take 4th from bottom right now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

I think this might have been the reasoning, moreso than trying to make a point about transfers. See where Towler is at and whether he can be an option for us in the second half of the season. If he isn't up to it yet, get him back out on loan, assuming that we can?

It didn't work today and was rightly rectified at half time, but if my thinking is correct then I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see him start the cup game next week to give it another go.

I agree with this. I think the other two factors are that Pearson obviously feels that Atkinson's obviously not yet done enough to force his way back int the first team and Vyner had to move right back to cover Tanner.

But ultimately we need to find out if Towler is ready at some point or other. In the past we've tended to never quite give youngsters ago and then obviously they never quite break through. Scott, Benarous and Towler are going to be inconsistent this season but I think giving them a chance now will reap rewards in a couple of years time and be far better than being where we got to with Joe Morrell where was 23 years old and we still had no idea if he was ever going to be good enough. In Morrell's case I think it became a self-fulfilling prophecy and Championship football a couple of years earlier might have been the difference between him making it as this level and him being where he at the moment. 

• Like 4

Surprisingly in his post match comments Nigel didn’t mention that the likes of Benarous, Towler, Pring, Vyner and even Semenyo are not up to Championship standard despite various OTIB experts clearly stating that to be the case of late. Can it be that he realises with young players there is more inconsistency to be expected and negotiated. As has also happened with Scott, Tanner, Bakinson and Atkinson there will be days when one or another needs to be subbed early because of their lack of experience rather than any harshly judged lack of ability. He has been consistent in doing that when necessary but clearly does not let it put him off selecting them again nor let it affect their confidence.

We have some mighty fine talent emerging this season so perhaps us keyboard warriors need to avoid being too judgmental and instead encourage their development and be proud of the enthusiasm and passion that they bring to our  team.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

I didn’t think we were that bad first half…sloppy, undoubtedly?  Micky Bell on co-Comms was frustrated we didn’t keep it better…he was right.  Both goals came from poor passes (James and Kalas).  I’m not saying we deserved to be ahead at h-t, but I thought the goals flattered them.

It was a risk picking Towler, just back from Grimsby.

I can only assume Atkinson is struggling fitness wise.  Long-covid?

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Surprisingly in his post match comments Nigel didn’t mention that the likes of Benarous, Towler, Pring, Vyner and even Semenyo are not up to Championship standard despite various OTIB experts clearly stating that to be the case of late. Can it be that he realises with young players there is more inconsistency to be expected and negotiated. As has also happened with Scott, Tanner, Bakinson and Atkinson there will be days when one or another needs to be subbed early because of their lack of experience rather than any harshly judged lack of ability. He has been consistent in doing that when necessary but clearly does not let it put him off selecting them again nor let it affect their confidence.

We have some mighty fine talent emerging this season so perhaps us keyboard warriors need to avoid being too judgmental and instead encourage their development and be proud of the enthusiasm and passion that they bring to our  team.

and also Pearsons passion and trust to give them a go

• Like 1

Oh we do love a few conspiracy theories on here.

Could be simply NP is trying to get us playing out from the back and keeping the ball. Perhaps tried out in training which we are not privy to.

I thought we started well and Towler moved the ball around well, we got caught for the 1st goal with a great ball in and an in form Striker making a run  behind Towler, the 2nd Kalas makes a bad pass and is out of position and Afobe gets the better of Towler. This can happen to experienced defenders.

After their 2nd goal you Could see the confidence go and did well to get to half time.

HNM made a big impact and was much more effective than Benerous, coupled with a change of shape and Millwall wanting to get deep and defend a lead all changed the game.

NP has many reasons for picking a team but the key is being able to adapt and change if not working

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

This thread has an almost unbelievable number of posts that make absolutely no sense.

So….. on the logic here, any manager overseeing a side that comes from behind deserves less credit for picking a side that was behind in the first place.

@RedNachos

@Chivs - special mentions for you on this.

Stupendous stuff. ??

Great 3 points. On we go.

• Like 5

The side picked did a good job until their first goal, it was a gamble that could have paid off. I think Nige is looking towards next season when he realises some of our better experienced players will be sold to balance the books so he needs to get the young players involved now so they'll be ready when the time comes, he's already done it with Scott who is now an established first teamer but he needs more. I think this is why O'Leary's playing, he probably thinks Bentley will have to be sold before the start of next season (if not January). People on here thinking we're going to spend money on experienced players in January are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dREDful said:

Gotta say I thought the starting line up looked shocking defensively and so it played out but well done to him for not only making the changes but firing up the side at half time leading to a brilliant turnaround.

I hope this is the wake up call the club needs. Before the likes of Bryan and Reid the Academy produced no one of real note for most of the previous 20 years. We've now gone to believe we can almost wholly rely on it where it is quite clear a number of the youngsters aren't ready or maybe never will be for this level in all reality. 

Let's invest in some transfers and kick on to give us some hope for the next season now. Well done Nige. 

What alternative universe are you living in?  We have little to no money for transfers for some quite considerable time; that is why NP is blooding the youngsters.  Sensible policy imo.