IGNORED

Massengo, Massengo, Massengo, Massengo, Massengo, Massengo,

Curr Avon

1 hour ago, Super said:

Absolutely this he is a liability when defending at times but produced some great stuff at the other end. You can see why Pearson is reluctant to start him.

Some time ago, when he was playing in a more defensive/holding role, his mother was quoted as saying he was more of an attacking midfielder and, apart from his lack of goals, that did seem quite an insightful observation.

Incidentally, was today really his first assist? - I am aware of his ‘assistance´ in the QPR away game, and why, strictly speaking, this was not classed as an ‘assist’.

5 hours ago, KegCity said:

Criminally underrated by quite a few, always sets the tempo and does the hard work to let James play his game.

If he adds goals to his game he won’t be here much longer.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 hours ago, Tookster said:

quality player, and liked how him coming on enabled James to play more of an attacking role.

FWIW I thought he had a mixed time today, but the good bits more than outweighed the poor bits, and we again saw the more creative / incisive element of his game. Three or four really penetrating passes, one that led to the winner.  No ”1” in the assist or second assist column for it, but it opened them up. The little things.

But today, you both make points that I picked up on too….he complimented James well.  That hasn’t always happened.  But I thought he gave us general rotation with James to avoid us becoming too one-dimensional, and it made it difficult for Millwall (leading in the game) to just sit in a low / mid block.  Him and James facilitated getting Vyner and Pring getting forward, even if it was just getting us up the pitch to them go infield / sideways.  That is progress for me.

Id obviously like him to get more tangible rewards in terms of goals and assists but it’s not the be-all and end-all at this point.  It will come in time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

What a strange comment. I've said many times before that he's a fine player who needs some coaching to become a truly great player. Made a big difference in the second half but does indeed lose the ball in key areas at crucial times (see Coventry away as an example). Currently I'd say a £15 to £20M player who could become £50M plus. 

I don't trawl people's post history before replying to a single comment. Your entire comment was a backhanded compliment. You literally slated him 3 times before begrudgingly commending his forward play. In a thread praising the guy you could have cut your entire post down to the last 7 words. 

7 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Still does some dumb stuff, loses the ball in key areas. Got away with it at the end. Made a big difference going forward though.

Exactly my point on the match thread and someone said wtf am I talking about ... nobody is disputing he’s the best midfielder we have however he is a calamity at times when he could safely pass out of defence but opts to pass to an attacker free in the box from the opposite team (dumb stuff).  

On 02/01/2022 at 15:24, KegCity said:

Why is a centre midfielder who consistently runs the midfield frustrating because he also doesn’t have screamers in his locker? Does his job well, goals would be nice but aren’t necessary.

Seem to remember a certain number 8 that was quite good at screamers but nowhere near as mobile as Massengo - very much enjoying life at Burnley now!

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

Seem to remember a certain number 8 that was quite good at screamers but nowhere near as mobile as Massengo - very much enjoying life at Burnley now!

Almost as if they have different roles in the team! Would love to see him have goals in his locker but his current contribution is fine for a 20 year old. Brownhill was hardly banging goals in until near the end of his time here

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 17:26, The Original OTIB said:

What a strange comment. I've said many times before that he's a fine player who needs some coaching to become a truly great player. Made a big difference in the second half but does indeed lose the ball in key areas at crucial times (see Coventry away as an example). Currently I'd say a £15 to £20M player who could become £50M plus. 

?

13 minutes ago, Antman said:

not the sort of player we should let go for 3-4 million, but i fear we will.

Unless we're selling him to a prem club that's probably where the market is.

The key at the moment is wages and as he has his whole immediate family is over here with him I would imagine that's quite expensive but no real idea.

Should mean that if we can we should be able to replace him with similar quality for about the same price but reduce the cost base.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Will we never learn?  HNM has approx 18 months left on his contract, he is a very valuable asset, why have contract talks not taken place?   It's Elliason all over again, why aren''t we talking to him, am I missing something?  

We probably are, but these things are rarely in the public domain and rightly so. If we were to go public with "we are currently negotiating with Massengo" (one of our only real financial assets) there'd be plenty of other clubs in his agents ear. 

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Will we never learn?  HNM has approx 18 months left on his contract, he is a very valuable asset, why have contract talks not taken place?   It's Elliason all over again, why aren''t we talking to him, am I missing something?  

Richard Gould has already commented about HNM but he’s not gonna say whether we’ve entered negotiations or not.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We probably are, but these things are rarely in the public domain and rightly so. If we were to go public with "we are currently negotiating with Massengo" (one of our only real financial assets) there'd be plenty of other clubs in his agents ear. 

According to HNM,  directly from the horse's mouth............HNM has stated in the last couple of weeks........that no contract talks have taken place so far.  However, perhaps he is being Cloak and Dagger?   Ha!