IGNORED

Pring - Finally found our left back

brad blit

2 hours ago, Better Red said:

Thought he had a great game today. Played well and looked like a championship player.

Good in a back three. Good on the ball.

Comfortable on the ball and has pace.

Great temperament and looks a good lad.

Well done Cam Pring

Agree, would be unfair not to give Weimann man of the match but he’s a close second. Dasilva is a very good left back but Pring has done ever so well to claim his spot

I really like him in the Left Centre Back position in the back 3. 

He offers perfect cover for COD which then allows COD to push high up the pitch and join the attack. 

Pring has the awareness to step out wide to cover which suits the system perfectly. 

There is an element of Joe Bryan in his play, especially when attacking, but COD has secured the Left Wing Back role for the time being, and rightly so. However, Pring can certainly secure that Left Centre Back role for himself moving forward. 

There are opportunities for players to stake a claim this season, our financial situation only adds to that. Pring can certainly be classed as a player who has taken their chance. 

A big well done to him. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Left Centre Back for me.

Thought he was good first half, although could’ve played better passes to O’Dowda on at least 2 occasions.

Second half he was fantastic. His covering when having to go 1-on-1 at times was excellent.

There’s a lot to like about him at the mo’.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he was good first half, although could’ve played better passes to O’Dowda on at least 2 occasions.

Second half he was fantastic. His covering when having to go 1-on-1 at times was excellent.

He is very good defensively at 1 on 1 situations, probably the best we have, he gets very close to the opposition player and has a great turn of speed over the first 10 yards - a great asset for a defender.

But he aint half bad going forward as well.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he was let down by O Dowda yesterday who was a passenger for 70 minutes.   Thought he carried the left side tbh. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I thought he was let down by O Dowda yesterday who was a passenger for 70 minutes.   Thought he carried the left side tbh. 

Completely agree. O Dowda spent the entire second half hiding on the touchline behind the full back. Quite a few times he could have come towards the ball to give Pring an easy pass but instead retreated away from the ball giving Pring no option but to go infield.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Completely agree. O Dowda spent the entire second half hiding on the touchline behind the full back. Quite a few times he could have come towards the ball to give Pring an easy pass but instead retreated away from the ball giving Pring no option but to go infield.

It felt more to me that Callum was trying to break down the wing and then had to check his run and track back a little to stay onside when the througball wasn't forthcoming. Not that the opportunity for the throughball was always there but it did seem to me like he was trying to get a quick break moving most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

He at least Got stuck in towards the end. First half he was uninterested. Would've been hooked at ht on another day but there were 2 candidates in front in the queue...

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought O'Dowda was much quieter yesterday. 

I don't think hugging the touchline is hiding though. It's where he has mainly been every game since coming back into the side.

He did drift to the right at times too 2nd half.

Thought McNamara had another really good game against us and up against him. Though O'Dowda still did his defensive duties fine, just didn't work for him in the final third.

Pring was very impressive imo. Mainly his defending which I've been most impressed with this season. Same at Pompey last season. Didn't get forward as much as I expected but looked very quick and strong defender which is now the case with us.

This.

As much as we all have an opinion on how his positioning might be right or wrong; chances are he was following what he had been told to do by NP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grifty said:

He made a block/tackle at point point in the 2nd half and I said "Well done Kalas" but then realised it was Cam which is probably the biggest compliment he can receive.

Another one who puts in his body on the line to clear/block the ball.

Haha….I did the same.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

2nd half I agree, though O’Dowda was ok first half.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It felt more to me that Callum was trying to break down the wing and then had to check his run and track back a little to stay onside when the througball wasn't forthcoming. Not that the opportunity for the throughball was always there but it did seem to me like he was trying to get a quick break moving most of the time.

The problem with that Rich is that it becomes very one-dimensional and easier to stop / block the passing lane.

We made 486 passes yesterday (401 v Huddersfield our next highest, our best until then was 394 v Millwall - who like the halfway line press).

Callum made 21 passes / 16 successful.

image.png.bfbc63f12523a9755767e28a4282f13e.png
He received 15 passes.  For me, he needs to improve his passing angles and when to rotate his position in and out to create space for others.

image.png.e724a9bbdfea1e3e5a518fa3129591b8.png

He was below his recent performances.  But he’s allowed that imho, has generally been a part of improved team performances.

• Thanks 2

The improvements throughout the team are evident. We are starting to see what we had and never gave a chance to (as there was an obsession with purchasing players) and what is coming through. Benny Scott and Towler are still kids. Pring a bit older but keeping multi million pound purchases out of the side. We have played well in the last two games in large portions and it’s clear we have a decent chance of winning a few more in the second half of the season

Massengo had the best 45 minutes in a City shirt yesterday and now has to maintain the level he set for himself. Semenyo looks like a very decent player that needs a few more goals and we have hopefully Joe Williams to come back. On top of that I think Vyner is playing better than many give him credit for

All in all I remain up beat about the future under Pearson…..But still fuming about the cabal of half wits that blew all that money! 

it all reminds me of the Leicester style. Fast running forward/s get the ball in/up early and unhinge defenders. The future looks bright to me!

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

I noticed the beginnings of some nice little planned movements between O'Dowda, Semenyo, and Pring yesterday, so although O'Dowda didn't have the best game I'd stick with all three.

First half in particular it was noticeable a couple of times as Pring advanced, O'Dowda would run infield dragging his man while Semenyo ran out into the space for the easy ball, then looked to play it back in. Simple planned moves but we haven't been seeing it so much this last 18 months, and it'll improve with time. They actually looked like they had a plan to advance and knew what each other would be doing.

• Like 3

Means we can get some decent money for JD, somebody will definitely take him based on age, potential and the fact that he came from Chelsea’s academy.

Get a striker on loan (no idea who tbh and if we can sell Bentley then we could be in much better shape - maybe even a right back although personally I quite like him.

FYI - Strikers I had in mind for a permanent deal: Grigg, Hogan (poachers) or someone like Yaya Sanogo and before you saw it I’m not that guy from twitter! Just think him and Weimann look like they could complement each other. However, he did mention Ibe which if it is true and he’s back on the right track mentally would be a Great addition (although not a striker).

23 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Means we can get some decent money for JD, somebody will definitely take him based on age, potential and the fact that he came from Chelsea’s academy.

Get a striker on loan (no idea who tbh and if we can sell Bentley then we could be in much better shape - maybe even a right back although personally I quite like him.

FYI - Strikers I had in mind for a permanent deal: Grigg, Hogan (poachers) or someone like Yaya Sanogo and before you saw it I’m not that guy from twitter! Just think him and Weimann look like they could complement each other. However, he did mention Ibe which if it is true and he’s back on the right track mentally would be a Great addition (although not a striker).

Not sure the fact he came from Chelsea holds much water.

His potential was probably all in the fact he was seen as someone with a bright future when he was an England U-21 player, since then he has had injury problems and hasn't really set the world alight.

Just remember McGivern managed to extract a wage from Man City for about 5 years.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure the fact he came from Chelsea holds much water.

His potential was probably all in the fact he was seen as someone with a bright future when he was an England U-21 player, since then he has had injury problems and hasn't really set the world alight.

Just remember McGivern managed to extract a wage from Man City for about 5 years.

They have a world renowned academy so there’s probably a manager out there that thinks he could get him playing well. Fingers crossed anyway because like the OP said I prefer Pring as well. You may well be right mate but I’m just under the impression someone would take him for a half decent fee. 

Never in a million years would I think Palmer would get sold and LB is a notoriously hard position to fill so more out of hope than expectation to be honest.

I wouldn't be so down on DaSilva- finances permitting I think him and Pring are two good options for LB, albeit with some different attributes perhaps. The former is only 23 too. Of course there is also his past injuries to consider and whether he'll be able to regain what he initially had- the first big injury was half a season in 2019/20 and then I think quite a while last season?