IGNORED

Benik Afobe - Touch Of Class

One Team

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

After Benik scored the penalty he went to first celebrate, then stopped and held his hands up to apologise. So far, so against old club celebration. However, after the Millwall throng had cleared, he went to his knees and pointed to the heavens.

We all know what happened when he was here and what that celebration meant. And the fact that, despite us conceding, a good number of city fans applauded him after it is something we should all be proud of.

Some things are, and always will be, more important than football

Said much the same in my own thread just now mate. Wonderful if poignant moment. 

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

Apologies if this is mentioned in the Millwall match thread but I’ve not seen it there or elsewhere:

I thought it was fantastic, poignant even, when Afobe scored his penalty that firstly he pointed to the sky (assumably referencing the tragic death of his baby daughter) and secondly most of the South Stand clapped him and then he clapped us back. 

Fantastic to see and a touch of class from the fans. Feels like he will always have a little piece of us in his heart and vice versa. 

He is a class act & great to hear that response from our fans, I wasn’t aware of that watching it on the red button. What he went through while on loan here pales into insignificance anything else. I know he holds this club very fondly & it was great to see him hold back from celebrating ( as much as some don’t like this ), I believe in recognition of off the field stuff, as much as on it. Was class from the moment he walked into the building with a bin bag full of his gear. Cannot help but like him. COYR 

• Like 1

Was a real handful today with his willingness to run in behind. Thought he should have celebrated his goal more. I don't hold with this 'respect' rubbish when scoring against a team you once played for, its not as if he was a permanent City player but a loanee. The supporters of a team you're playing for should expect you to celebrate a goal scored for their side. I expect a City player to celebrate scoring regardless of whether he once played for the opposition or not. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Was a real handful today with his willingness to run in behind. Thought he should have celebrated his goal more. I don't hold with this 'respect' rubbish when scoring against a team you once played for, its not as if he was a permanent City player but a loanee. The supporters of a team you're playing for should expect you to celebrate a goal scored for their side. I expect a City player to celebrate scoring regardless of whether he once played for the opposition or not. 

Think there’s a bit more to it on this particular incident though to be fair. COYR 

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Nice to see that a footballer can show so much dignity and class.If I was a Millwall fan I would be proud of Benik today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

On the flip side, I noticed that Millwall were the only away fans that boo'd our taking of the knee, while none of their players joined in. No, problem at all with clubs not doing it anymore, but to boo ? Horrible club.

Don't give them the attention and dislike they crave.

As for Afobe... played well, would have him ahead of Martin in a flash.

Well done the South Stand for applauding his moment and well done the fans round the tunnel clapping him off after the game.

Would sooner be known as a decent club than a Millwall, 100%.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

On the flip side, I noticed that Millwall were the only away fans that boo'd our taking of the knee, while none of their players joined in with the gesture. No, problem at all with clubs not doing it anymore, but to boo ? Horrible club.

Did we rain down bottles when they scored or did our horrible club not bother today 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

42 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

After Benik scored the penalty he went to first celebrate, then stopped and held his hands up to apologise. So far, so against old club celebration. However, after the Millwall throng had cleared, he went to his knees and pointed to the heavens.

We all know what happened when he was here and what that celebration meant. And the fact that, despite us conceding, a good number of city fans applauded him after it is something we should all be proud of.

Some things are, and always will be, more important than football

Missed that and did wonder why the majority of the crowd were clapping the player who just put us behind. 
Seems to have been well meaning though so fair play to everyone. Still got a lot of respect for Benik. Wish him and his family all the best. 

23 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

On the flip side, I noticed that Millwall were the only away fans that boo'd our taking of the knee, while none of their players joined in with the gesture. No, problem at all with clubs not doing it anymore, but to boo ? Horrible club.

It was the same at the Den earlier in the season.

Afobe was also class at that match and acknowledged the city fans during the macth.

14 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Missed that and did wonder why the majority of the crowd were clapping the player who just put us behind. 
Seems to have been well meaning though so fair play to everyone. Still got a lot of respect for Benik. Wish him and his family all the best. 

Me too.

I like him.

Out of contract next summer, a totally different situation from when Stoke wanted £8m for him, like Bradshaw (who is also OoC) worth keeping an eye on.

30 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

True. QPR were interesting in that some of their lads stood and applauded and some took the knee, obviously given a choice rather than a co-ordinated team response.

42 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not a fan,celebrate your goal and show appreciation after the game,let’s not take the joy out of scoring a goal,VAR is doing that as it is 

100% disagree in this instance. We all know the personal tragedy that Benik suffered while he was with us, and the support the fans gave him. His 'celebration' wasn't because he used to play for us, it was because of what happened.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, super slick said:

His lack of celebration had nothing to do with ‘respect’ to an old team he was on loan to for a season, more to do with the support he got from 99% of city fans & the entire club with everything that he went through whilst here. 

Exactly 

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

100% disagree in this instance. We all know the personal tragedy that Benik suffered while he was with us, and the support the fans gave him. His 'celebration' wasn't because he used to play for us, it was because of what happened.

Of course we all know what the poor bloke went through but wouldn’t you rather seen him celebrate and then show appreciation after

That was certainly a moment when Afobe scored today and proud to be a Bristol City supporter after the reaction of the South Stand  Loyal .  It wouldn’t of bothered me too much if he would’ve done a Austin . It’s all about choice and he made his and endeared himself to the red army . As for the knee I thought it was our fans booing Millwall for not doing it, personally we need to do something else as it’s lost its message . Quite a few of our fans don’t clapp it are they racist ?!!!!!!