IGNORED

Benik Afobe - Touch Of Class

One Team

It was a lovely moment.

Will be interesting to see what happens to him in the summer, his lucrative, long Stoke contract is finally up (for balance their fans largely think he has been one of their worst signings, which is saying something) & in an open market he has no chance of replicating it.

Both he & his strike partner yesterday Tom Bradshaw (who I thought was excellent) are OoC & are the type we should be looking at, whilst we fret about our wage bill, every club without parachute payments will be doing the same, so  there will be opportunities in what will still be a tough situation.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was a lovely moment.

Will be interesting to see what happens to him in the summer, his lucrative, long Stoke contract is finally up (for balance their fans largely think he has been one of their worst signings, which is saying something) & in an open market he has no chance of replicating it.

Both he & his strike partner yesterday Tom Bradshaw (who I thought was excellent) are OoC & are the type we should be looking at, whilst we fret about our wage bill, every club without parachute payments will be doing the same, so  there will be opportunities in what will still be a tough situation.

Interesting. Of course if contracts are up then they might just renew on reduced terms.

Does that put them a bit ahead of us in terms of clearing expensive players off the wage bill and clearing up there balance sheet? I guess we did that with Weiman over the summer but had a lot more players.

I'm really interested in seeing others balance sheets now.

2 hours ago, One Team said:

He didn’t really celebrate the goal, his team mates came up to him to congratulate him, then when they turned back to the centre spot he went to his knees and pointed to the sky. We then clapped the acknowledgement and when he got back up he clapped us back.

Agreed, it wasn’t a celebration as such. Thanks for the description of the part I’d missed! ?

4 hours ago, One Team said:

He didn’t really celebrate the goal, his team mates came up to him to congratulate him, then when they turned back to the centre spot he went to his knees and pointed to the sky. We then clapped the acknowledgement and when he got back up he clapped us back.

It sounds like an event I`m going to regret missing. Some players just engender that sort of reaction from fans who care - Benik is one of those and always will be. As someone who was at AG the night Wilbs came on as a sub for Bolton I can only imagine how proud it felt to be a City fan yesterday as I did then.

The likes of Charlie Austin could learn a lot from players who have the class of those two.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It sounds like an event I`m going to regret missing. Some players just engender that sort of reaction from fans who care - Benik is one of those and always will be. As someone who was at AG the night Wilbs came on as a sub for Bolton I can only imagine how proud it felt to be a City fan yesterday as I did then.

The likes of Charlie Austin could learn a lot from players who have the class of those two.

Out of likes but well said mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2022 at 19:04, sticks 1969 said:

Gutted when he got injured while on loan here 

and made kp45 look good 

That season started with some real promise. Okay not the first game vs an admittedly excellent Leeds.

Ha isn't it always, a team...that could have been starting to get going was decimated by injuries in key positions in 4-6 weeks- yes we had some depth but it sapped momentum and cohesion from us. Terrible for Afobe definitely- and there was the mass speculation for about a week but it was the news that we all feared just ahjead of the Swansea home game.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker

Hunt Brownhill Nagy DaSilva

Palmer

Weimann Afobe

Other options:

GK

Maenpaa, O'Leary

RB:

Pereira

CB:

Williams

LB:

Rowe

CM:

Massengo

RM/RW:

O'Dowda

LM/LW

Paterson, Eliasson

CF:

Diedhiou

With Smith to return from injury in the Autumn. There are probably some I am missing too, just off the top of my head this. Crucially though, Williams e.g. in inhibits the high line, Massengo has, even then had real promise but less experience- put Diedhiou in that front 3 and it's far less fluid, with less movement- Rowe with his age offered less thrust than a fit and in-form DaSilva- little changes can lead to big impacts, not that they're necessarily poor players.

Unbelievable- between 1/4-1/3 of the starting XI injured within a mere 6 weeks, two long term and two medium term. That cohesion just wrecked- that was perhaps the only time Palmer looked like he might be consistent for us, behind the pair of Weimann and Afobe?

On 03/01/2022 at 10:24, GrahamC said:

It was a lovely moment.

Definitely think we should look but think Afobe would not be unhappy to stay at Millwall- played there before plus he's from London originally- additionally, Rowett took him to Stoke in the first place.

• Like 1

There's only ever going to be one way of spoiling his affection and affinity with us and that's signing a permanent deal.

Sometimes things are better left as they are.

29 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would love to see Afobe here on a permanent. He has an affinity with the club. He makes intelligent runs & can play in a variety of roles as an attacker.

Plus he has unfinished business here.

• Like 3