IGNORED

Bartos Bialkowski & Antoine Semenyo

Fordy62

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

On the subject of the former, his name seems to have stuck in my head for some reason I can’t quite place. So a big thank you to Bart for the first goal. 

On the subject of Semenyo as a striker, he doesn’t score… but when he plays, we do score, and ultimately isn’t that the point? Said it before, I’ll say it again, I’d much rather he be in the team than on the bench. 

Isn’t life infinitely better when we win?

Happy new year everyone. 

Agreed.

Semenyo always looks like he has no idea what he is about to do when he gets the ball which means the defence certainly don't, which in turn often leads to chaos and creates space for others.

Never going to be a great finisher - IMO

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

On the subject of the former, his name seems to have stuck in my head for some reason I can’t quite place. So a big thank you to Bart for the first goal. 

On the subject of Semenyo as a striker, he doesn’t score… but when he plays, we do score, and ultimately isn’t that the point? Said it before, I’ll say it again, I’d much rather he be in the team than on the bench. 

Happy new year everyone. 

He was right though. Our lot were on the beach for months. However a fellow pro shouldn’t be mouthing off to the press even if it’s so obvious. Funny how these things bite you on the arse though……..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Team = 9 goals in 5 games since Antoine started again. He has 1g and 3a in that, plus a big part in our winner.

His being a constant "pest" closing down GKs and defenders, forcing rushed passes and clearances shouldn't be under estimated either.

Edited by VT05763

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Happy new year everyone. 

Too many are single player stats focused.  Juventus scored fewer goals when Ronaldo was playing but that was masked by his goals. I think United are the same. He scores big goals for them but if he wasn’t playing they might not need late winners.  

Semenyo is a must start. He came deep quite a bit today and his control and pass was good. I think he’s improving massively. Unfortunately some have written him off but I am sure he will prove them wrong 

• Like 6

Bialkowski now has 2 assists for us, today he passed to Weimann & v Ipswich away a few seasons ago he managed to divert Famara’s header that was going wide, into the net.

Can’t imagine many other opposition keepers have done this.

• Like 1

What a piece of work is Antoine?

How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty,

In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god,

The beauty of the world, The paragon of animals.

• Like 4

Anyone have thoughts on their possible red card for handball/last man in second half? Looked clear where I was or did Antoine actually foul him? Haven’t seen it mentioned. We don’t seem to get any luck on those sorts of things. 

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I really don’t buy into playing a striker that doesn’t score goals, yes team has scored 9 in 5 when he started up front but no team will get promoted or be in play offs with a striker that doesn’t score. 

It is a take I just can’t wrap my head around. He is causing opposition so many problems and has directly contributed to 4 goals in those 5 games. Not to mention was responsible for the winning goal without getting the assist. Also the chance he didn’t take in the first half isn’t even a shot for our other strikers as they don’t have the pace or the power. I can only see the goals going up with more time played there. Also, we aren’t trying to be a playoff team this season so it is even more perfect to keep him there so we can make a decision more accurately about whether that is where he should play going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I said this the other day - Antoine has a touch of the Reid’s about him since he came back in. Not the goals (yet), but the physicality, the strength, the energy and the press. The latters the most important - what he’s brought is pressure on defenders and giving them no chance to relax. That in turn forces mistakes, playing backwards and gets us higher up the pitch. 

I think he’s making a real difference.

• Like 13

Would still prefer him on the right of a 433. Think his ability to run at or cut inside his marker is the key. What a difference our attacking play has when wide players get to the byline and pull crosses back! Long may our new found attacking and chance creation continue. 
Just need to learn how to defend now and not concede to teams that dont even look like scoring! ??

26 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I really don’t buy into playing a striker that doesn’t score goals, yes team has scored 9 in 5 when he started up front but no team will get promoted or be in play offs with a striker that doesn’t score. 

That’s a challenge set down to find some examples. Busy at the moment but will definitely be able to I reckon 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Happy new year everyone. 

I thought the same. Then I thought of the 1980s British ski bloke Konrad Bartelski. Perhaps he's somewhere in your mind too?

34 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Darren Byfield says hi…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Team = 9 goals in 5 games since Antoine started again. He has 1g and 3a in that, plus a big part in our winner.

Spot on, he absolutely contributes to goals and general attacking threat.

I think people often overlook assists for strikers too. Semenyo has 4 goal contributions in 563 mins (approx 6 full matches worth of mins) this season. That's roughly a goal or assist every 140 mins. Comparatively, when Diedhiou won POTY in 19/20, he averaged a league goal contribution every 220 mins that season (12 goals 1 assist).

FWIW I've not written off Semenyo as a goal scoring striker either. He's still only 21 - lots of strikers have few Championship goals to their name at that age. It seems slightly premature to eternally brand him as "a striker that doesn't score". 

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

Hmmm, I’m not so sure.

Nine goals in five games equates to 83 goals over a season, and I suspect (our defence notwithstanding) that would result in us finishing in the play offs at least - on the subject of which, when we went to Wembley back in 2008, our leading scorer, a certain Mr Byfield, didn’t score very many goals at all (9?).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Happy new year everyone. 

168 games for Ipswich, was also at Southampton before that. 

Much though Semenyo did do some good things today there are some other bits that can’t be avoided. He is not a lone striker. His control at times is woeful - at times the ball bounces his off his feet. He does scare defenders by running on to balls or with ball. His best position is playing with at least one other striker, who can actually put the ball in the net, such as Weimann, Martin or Wells.

The way he rolled and span the last defender for the winner is something i'm desperate to see more of in our team - beat a man, have a shot or put it into an area. 

Get the wrong side of the defender, get them backtracking and it causes havoc, keep at it Antoine, if it provides space for Martin, Weimann or whoever then it's good enough for me.

• Like 3