IGNORED

The Pearson effect - is it happening?

mightyreds89

23 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

There was a post yesterday that for me thinking about Nige & his influence for me it feels like there are signs it’s on the up he seems more relaxed and confident in interviews, the players over the last 5/6 weeks seem to have improved desire, commitment and understand the expectation bar Sheff Utd away. I do feel like there are some green shoots of small steps forward. 

I then started to think why might this be? Initially I thought maybe Nige is and hopefully feeling better following his illness he has more energy and passion for the role which led me into thinking what else has changed… the coaching staff there are fewer with Downing & Simpson now gone maybe he’s starting to become his own man, more involved in the coaching?! He has to be surely? Less voices for the players to hear one constant and steady view. He’s also now fully in control of managing upwards. I thought I’d look at the stats with and without the now departed coaches and as expected some positive signs especially when you consider it’s early days without them the main highlights are below, 

With Simpson & Downing,

P 14 W4 D4 L6 - points 16 ave Pts per game = 1.14 

Win rate 28% 

Goals for 15 average goals for per game 1.07.

Goals against 22 ave per game 1.57 

Without Simpson & Downing 

P11 W4 D2 L5 points 14 ave pts per game 1.27

win rate 38%

Goals for 15 ave per game = 1.36 

Goals against 15 ave per game = 1.54 

Overall,

We’ve found a way of increasing our ave pts per game, our average goals scored and slightly improved our ave goals against so certainly and improved balance of not conceding any more than before but scoring and creating more. In essence we’ve turned what may have been a few draws previously into wins since their departure and draw on average less. Over a season that’s an extra 12 -14 points. 

Whilst in recent games we’ve also had improved possession stats (from memory) I haven’t gone through this game by game but have noticed post game that shots and possession are improved certainly feels like progress. Hopefully this momentum continues over as perusing of games and we can secure a position of 12th-14th by end of the season which for me would be a decent effort give the circumstances. 

Statistically if we lose our next game our ppg will be 1.16 so basically exactly the same. Its sadly a much too small sample size to make much of a comparison or draw any meaningful conclusions.

One thing I have noticed is keeping our heads up when we fall behind. Before we would effectively give up as soon as we conceded. I don’t see that happening so much now. I think that the players seem to have a little more belief in their ability and there is a definite shift in mentality to a more positive one. Also, our young players are beginning to adapt to the pace of the Championship. Alex Scott has now bagged a few goals and looks like a regular starter. I have seen more solid displays from Cam Pring and Massengo was a game changer against Millwall.

There are more hardworking displays overall on the pitch and our players are certainly fitter than they were last season. Players know that they need to be on top of their game or their position is up for grabs. Nobody is a guaranteed starter. Competition for places is now becoming more of a focus than worrying about the opposition.

Once Pearson is allowed to spend we should see more competition and an improvement in overall performances (less long ball).

There are green shoots for sure and we are doing it with academy players in the team. The turnaround will be slow but it is happening for sure.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

One thing I have noticed is keeping our heads up when we fall behind. Before we would effectively give up as soon as we conceded. I don’t see that happening so much now. I think that the players seem to have a little more belief in their ability and there is a definite shift in mentality to a more positive one. Also, our young players are beginning to adapt to the pace of the Championship. Alex Scott has now bagged a few goals and looks like a regular starter. I have seen more solid displays from Cam Pring and Massengo was a game changer against Millwall.

There are more hardworking displays overall on the pitch and our players are certainly fitter than they were last season. Players know that they need to be on top of their game or their position is up for grabs. Nobody is a guaranteed starter. Competition for places is now becoming more of a focus than worrying about the opposition.

Once Pearson is allowed to spend we should see more competition and an improvement in overall performances (less long ball).

There are green shoots for sure and we are doing it with academy players in the team. The turnaround will be slow but it is happening for sure.

Good post.

The bit I like, which is spot on is " Competition for places is now becoming more of a focus than worrying about the opposition."

NP is true to his word, if you play well doing what is expected of you, you will keep the shirt. He's dropped a number of players (with some reinstated), and side lined others. Keeps them competitive and fighting to keep their place in the team and its bearing fruit with more resilient performances lately.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Good post.

The bit I like, which is spot on is " Competition for places is now becoming more of a focus than worrying about the opposition."

NP is true to his word, if you play well doing what is expected of you, you will keep the shirt. He's dropped a number of players (with some reinstated), and side lined others. Keeps them competitive and fighting to keep their place in the team and its bearing fruit with more resilient performances lately.

I agree, we have a pretty mediocre/inexperienced squad but competition for places will squeeze the most out of it. Shoot me if I'm wrong but I can see Bentley coming back a lot closer to his form of last season when he gets his place back in due course.........and if he doesn't get it back then it's because O'Leary is doing the job required anyway.

• Like 2

I’m very confident that we are improving and on the right track. Pearson has good bonds with the majority of the squad which is clear by his interactions with the players at the end of the matches. It is also as clear as day that he will stand for no nonsense from them. 

Very easy to criticise the selection of Benarous against Millwall with hindsight but you never know with young untested players how they will do. We wouldn’t have known what Scott seems to be capable of if he had not been given an opportunity.

Exciting few years ahead in my opinion. 

Edited by Ben1980
  • Like 4

I really hope the Pearson effect is now becoming apparent. When he joined us I thought he’d get more out of the players (and there were games like Swansea away last season where that seemed to be the case). But the issues in the squad (confidence, contracts running down etc) were clearly running deep. 

I was encouraged by our performance in the first game this season v Blackpool, but their late equaliser and our continued inability to win at home seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. Some of the performances this season have been painfully dire. NP’s illness with covid must have also been a factor.

In the last two games we have played much better football, and hopefully that marks a turning point. But we still seem fragile and have to work very hard for points, so there will still be plenty of bumps. 

I’ve really enjoyed seeing the emergence of young players (especially Scott, Pring and Benarous, who all have an “edge” to their game). NP has got it wrong at times (e.g. I thought it was a mistake to throw Towler in against Afobe and Bradshaw), but with young players these things will happen. 

The signings of Tanner and Atkinson were pleasing because these are exactly the sort of players we should be going for - young, hungry and with potential sell-on value.

It’s a slow process but I’m hopeful the decline of the last couple of seasons is ending  and NP’s experience will help us start building upwards again. 

• Like 1