IGNORED

Coventry fan in concourse yesterday

Royce5nine

I don’t think there’s anything explicitly wrong with it, kicking off at a woman wearing a different sides shirt is pretty low so I hope no one did give her a hard time.

On the other hand I do think it’s a bit weird, I could understand if it was a foreign team or a local semi-pro team etc but a team in the same league is just a bit odd, but no big deal - definitely didn’t deserve any abuse.

On 03/01/2022 at 19:18, Royce5nine said:

Since when has it been appropriate for someone to walk around Ashton Gate proudly wearing Coventry City FC attire? It wasn't even like she was trying to hide the badge yesterday. Actually, flaunting it! Bet she was applauded by the 'new fans' we have attracted since becoming a 'day out' rather than a football club!

City is not like it used to be...

Did I criticise your clothing?

???

Since when has it been appropriate for someone to walk around Ashton Gate proudly wearing Coventry City FC attire? It wasn't even like she was trying to hide the badge yesterday. Actually, flaunting it! Bet she was applauded by the 'new fans' we have attracted since becoming a 'day out' rather than a football club!

Sort of get your point ,and do get a bit annoyed when I see someone in a Man U shirt or Liverpool  shirt etc at AG  but Coventry I would have thought a bit strange but no more . If I went to another game ,not City I would def not wear City colours ,would seem to be asking for trouble . 

On 06/01/2022 at 00:47, Red-Robbo said:

They're really available.  (Cheaper options than this, exist)

https://www.thefootballnation.co.uk/dukla-prague-1960s-away-retro-shirt/

I think mine came from Toffs, really nice heavy weight material.

https://www.toffs.com/dukla-prague-1960s-away-retro-football-shirt?awin=1&awc=317_1641556604_7a3b24b67c3bebe97460ebcf7146f67c

• Like 1

I remember being in the East End, walking to my usual position in the middle block when I saw a woman in a blue and white hat and scarf with her partner (in red) stood behind her, it was either the 0-0 game with villas best signing Penrice, missing a sitter or the Donowa game ( I can't remember which).  I don't think anyone cared....

On 04/01/2022 at 13:57, Harry said:

Whilst I don’t think anyone would advocate smashing this Cov fan about, the point being made is actually a fair one. 
The question really is, when did it become acceptable to wear a rival team’s shirt in the home area of a football ground? 

I accept that we weren’t playing Cov, so essentially the colours were neutral, but it should also be accepted that this is a rival team in our division. 

If I walked into Cov’s ground last week versus Millwall, dressed in a BCFC shirt, I’d be expecting the stewards to refuse me entry. 

Is the fact that this person was allowed entry based on the fact that she was a female? If it was a male, would they have been allowed in? 

As said, I wouldn’t advocate smacking people, but it’s odd that someone is allowed to sport non-BCFC colours in the home section. 

I know we have home and away tickets and areas, but is there actually any rules about not being in the opposite end?

There's "etiquette" about keeping quiet, and as much as I don't condone violence, I know that if I stood in say the Millwall end in a City shirt whilst we beat them I'd probably get a kicking from some thugs who still think like the OP.

I remember going to Swindon with friends for a pre-season friendly when I was about 16/17 and wearing my City shirt in protest for having to sit with them in their stand. Got a couple of funnny comments, but no issues.

I also remember going to watch MK Dons v Chelsea in the FA cup a few years back. Had free tickets so took a Chelsea supporting friend but we were in the home end. The home stands were packed with Chelsea fans, all wearing their colours. I remember thinking I've never seen such an overwhelming amount of away fans in home ends before.

Anyone that went to the England v Poland qualifying game a few years back will probably recall the home ends being full of Polish fans with colours and flags. All generally respectful though, one small group boo'ed our anthem and another group of Polish told them in no uncertain terms to keep quiet. 

Edit: looking back it must have been the 2014 WC qualifier we won 2-0 in Oct 2013. Can't believe it was that long ago, I was thinking a couple of years not almost a decade! Gerrard scored in the last few minutes to confirm qualification

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I know we have home and away tickets and areas, but is there actually any rules about not being in the opposite end?

There's "etiquette" about keeping quiet, and as much as I don't condone violence, I know that if I stood in say the Millwall end in a City shirt whilst we beat them I'd probably get a kicking from some thugs who still think like the OP.

I remember going to Swindon with friends for a pre-season friendly when I was about 16/17 and wearing my City shirt in protest for having to sit with them in their stand. Got a couple of funnny comments, but no issues.

I also remember going to watch MK Dons v Chelsea in the FA cup a few years back. Had free tickets so took a Chelsea supporting friend but we were in the home end. The home stands were packed with Chelsea fans, all wearing their colours. I remember thinking I've never seen such an overwhelming amount of away fans in home ends before.

Anyone that went to the England v Poland qualifying game a few years back will probably recall the home ends being full of Polish fans with colours and flags. All generally respectful though, one small group boo'ed our anthem and another group of Polish told them in no uncertain terms to keep quiet. 

Edit: looking back it must have been the 2014 WC qualifier we won 2-0 in Oct 2013. Can't believe it was that long ago, I was thinking a couple of years not almost a decade! Gerrard scored in the last few minutes to confirm qualification

You are correct that there is no actual law against going in an opposition section, but the very fact that clubs have protocols in place to stop away fans from purchasing tickets in home sections, and that you could potentially be ejected from the ground for ‘health and safety’  says that it’s more than just an unwritten rule. 

I’ve been in plenty of home ends, and probably will at Fulham next week too if I can make it. 
If I do, I won’t be wearing any colours and I won’t sing any city songs or celebrate when we score. 
It’s just the way it is. 

Edited by Harry

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are correct that there is no actual law against going in an opposition section, but the very fact that clubs have protocols in place to stop away fans from purchasing tickets in home sections, and that you could potentially be ejected from the ground for ‘health and safety’  says that it’s more than just an unwritten rule. 

I’ve been in plenty of home ends, and probably will at Fulham next week too if I can make it. 
If I do, I won’t be wearing any colours and I won’t sing any city songs or celebrate when we score. 
It’s just the way it is. 

Wasn't actually sure if there was a "law" or rule or not but as you say it's obviously discouraged - and as a steward I guess if you saw someone walking in with the other teams colours on you may want to prevent them purely to prevent trouble. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

I think it's like anything in football, if you go looking for trouble (or acting in a way that attracts it) you will find it

If you don't, you're likely to avoid it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Wasn't actually sure if there was a "law" or rule or not but as you say it's obviously discouraged - and as a steward I guess if you saw someone walking in with the other teams colours on you may want to prevent them purely to prevent trouble. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

I think it's like anything in football, if you go looking for trouble (or acting in a way that attracts it) you will find it

If you don't, you're likely to avoid it. 

The famous Leeds fan in Dolman A a few years ago springs to mind.

Not only celebrated their goal, but unzipped his jacket to reveal a Leeds shirt and goaded and insulted those sat around him.

Result - a visit to the BRI.

I see your a Newbie with 2  posts?.............I shouldn't bother with a 3rd?   ?

On 04/01/2022 at 12:50, slartibartfast said:

!st point it was a she, 2nd point, they are not our rivals (only divisional), !,  could understand your ire if it was a sag or Cardiff, not that that would happen. 3rd point , Why T F were they applauding her?

They weren’t