IGNORED

Team of Bristolians

RedRoss

Due to our recent academy showing. I got thinking what a full team of active Bristol players would look like.

What's the best team you can make out of these:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/detailsuche/spielerdetail/suche/32397745

I'm sure there probably more that aren't in that list. Also there's an interesting one in there a 22 year Joe Bell who is a current New Zealand International but was born in Bristol.

Why does it have to be Bristolians?

So Max O’Leary wouldn’t be eligible because he was born a whole 11 miles away? Did we see Rob Newman (Bradford-on-Avon) or Atyeo (Dilton Marsh) as not “home grown”?

I prefer the Athletic Bilbao definition myself, which is not only birth but school & area that you see as local to your club (for us that’s Glos & Somerset) so where did you grow up.

If you add Lloyd Kelly, Joe Bryan, Alfie Jones, Jordan Storey, Herbie Kane, Bobby Reid to our current Academy crop then it would certainly compete.

• Like 7

Just now, GrahamC said:

So Max O’Leary wouldn’t be eligible because he was born a whole 11 miles away? Did we see Rob Newman (Bradford-on-Avon) or Atyeo (Dilton Marsh) as not “home grown”?

I prefer the Athletic Bilbao definition myself, which is not only birth but school & area that you see as local to your club (for us that’s Glos & Somerset) so where did you grow up.

If you add Lloyd Kelly, Joe Bryan, Alfie Jones, Jordan Storey, Herbie Kane, Bobby Reid to our current Academy crop then it would certainly compete.

To be fair I was going to let the surrounding areas in aswell. Or even players not born in Bristol but moved when the were very young.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You know it’s just for fun right? ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

People often propose teams made up of local players and we do produce a few, not usually top class. So we'd most probably end up with a team struggling to stay in the third tier of English football. 

I remember using an old Rothmans book to make this comparison back in the 90's. There were 26 professional players from the Bristol region (50 miles around) playing in the football league. The majority playing in the lower reaches. Liverpool had I think, 96, the majority playing in the top two divisions.

I was hoping things would change over time, as the game has changed and, things might have improved slightly but, we just don't produce that many players and certainly not top class players.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The Bilbao definition would be OK for John Atyeo who was actually born in Standerwick village in Somerset, about three/four miles from Dilton Marsh. He grew up in Dilton Marsh but was only able to play cricket for Somerset Second team as he was born in Somerset as per rules in operation at that time. Birth or residency in the county. Birth and living in Wiltshire would have not allowed him to register with Somerset CCC.

Plenty of Bristol boys. Tom Doherty, Brian Clark, Bobby Williams, Jantzen Derrick to name just a few.

10 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Due to our recent academy showing. I got thinking what a full team of active Bristol players would look like.

What's the best team you can make out of these:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/detailsuche/spielerdetail/suche/32397745

I'm sure there probably more that aren't in that list. Also there's an interesting one in there a 22 year Joe Bell who is a current New Zealand International but was born in Bristol.

I remember an away game at Plymouth quite a few moons ago when we had something like 8 Bristolians in the side - I think I’ve got that right - maybe not though - and under Danny Wilson we often had loads of local lads in the side - probably up to 8 again at times?

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember an away game at Plymouth quite a few moons ago when we had something like 8 Bristolians in the side - I think I’ve got that right - maybe not though - and under Danny Wilson we often had loads of local lads in the side - probably up to 8 again at times?

Philips

Carey 

Hill

Doherty

Burnell

Brown A

Brown M

That's 7, although I guess using Marvin is maybe pushing the boundaries a bit as he was never really a "regular".

Clist? Would make 8. 

So you're probably right, the Danny Wilson era was probably the last time we had a core squad of Bristolians/home grown players.

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So you get annoyed that Bradford and Dilton Marsh aren't include but then go on to say it should  be Bristol, Somerset and Gloucester. Do you realise these 2 places are both in Wiltshire

Similar but not the same… I saw an interview with Carragher where he was talking about when he was growing up in Liverpool. He was explaining how nobody there really liked the Spice Boy era team as - despite being good - they didn’t reflect the attitude of the city.

Got me thinking what attitude or attributes a team would need to be an accurate representation of Bristol?

24 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Similar but not the same… I saw an interview with Carragher where he was talking about when he was growing up in Liverpool. He was explaining how nobody there really liked the Spice Boy era team as - despite being good - they didn’t reflect the attitude of the city.

Got me thinking what attitude or attributes a team would need to be an accurate representation of Bristol?

Lots of monied Uni students from the home counties who enjoy drum & bass and engage in recreational drugs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lots of monied Uni students from the home counties who enjoy drum & bass and engage in recreational drugs. 

Plus a load of Bristolians having to live on the outskirts because they couldn’t afford to live there any more, reading articles in the local media written by people who moved here in the last 5 years saying how much they loved it, concentrating entirely on a mile or two around the bottom of Gloucester Rd..

• Like 2

Looking at that list, would be something like

Butland

Jones   Kelly   Pring
Edwards                                          Bryan 

Bell   Kane     
    Benarous    

Britton   De-Cordova Reid 

*Still playing XI that is! 

Edited by ollywhyte

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I'd have Gary Mabbutt in my X1. And Larry Lloyd (surely the most decorated Bristol footballer there is, or was. Or likely will be)

Think Eddie Hapgood takes that honour, 5 winners medals for the top division, 2 FA Cups, 30 England caps, 21 as captain. Didn’t win the European Cup of course (but it didn’t exist then).

Barton Hill boy, I believe.

Roy Bentley also deserves an honourable mention, too..

Edited by GrahamC