IGNORED

HMHB - New album

Bristol Rob

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Saw them in Frome in November, they aren't the most prolific of tourers really so I don't expect another for a while. 

Was at the SWX a while back. They have released dates, just not near here yet. Well, Cardiff Uni. 

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Saw them in Frome in November, they aren't the most prolific of tourers really so I don't expect another for a while. 

I was there as well. Good gig, although the Cheese & Grain's beer selection left something to be desired.

One thing always to be said, HMHB do love playing in the West Country and Nigel Blackwell has a great love of the area generally, as many song titles attest. They've already pencilled in some gigs later this year, including a Cardiff gig, so there's always a chance they may schedule one on the right side of the bridge.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was there as well. Good gig, although the Cheese & Grain's beer selection left something to be desired.

One thing always to be said, HMHB do love playing in the West Country and Nigel Blackwell has a great love of the area generally, as many song titles attest. They've already pencilled in some gigs later this year, including a Cardiff gig, so there's always a chance they may schedule one on the right side of the bridge.

Trouble over Bridgewater ?

• Like 2

I got it on the day it was out and can attest to its continuation of fabulous lyricism and offbeat subject matter.

It's perhaps a little more professional and less endearingly ramshackle than early 'Biscuit', but who can but love couplets like "See you later undertaker/In a while necrophile"*.

* From "I'm Getting Buried In The Morning", a song about a bloke's last day on death row.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I got it on the day it was out and can attest to its continuation of fabulous lyricism and offbeat subject matter.

It's perhaps a little more professional and less endearingly ramshackle than early 'Biscuit', but who can but love couplets like "See you later undertaker/In a while necrophile"*.

* From "I'm Getting Buried In The Morning", a song about a bloke's last day on death row.

Sort of 'Get me to the crypt on time'.

• Like 1

Is it me, or is this the poignant and serious album they have ever made? Of course there are the jokes and great couplets like, 

"See you later undertaker, in a while necrophile" ;) but there are also verses that are moving. I have considered adding this one to the "Thought for the Day* for example. 

Screenshot_20220305-075225_Facebook.jpg

The number of winters could be changed to suit any of us.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

I think every album there is a song that I think is a bit too close to home. I love Midnight Mass Murder but as a keen wearer of Superdry who only gets dragged to church to see children or grandchildren doing their yearly performance, I am worried that next time I may be asked to "take my chips and **** off home". :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/03/2022 at 18:10, Port Said Red said:

I think every album there is a song that I think is a bit too close to home. I love Midnight Mass Murder but as a keen wearer of Superdry who only gets dragged to church to see children or grandchildren doing their yearly performance, I am worried that next time I may be asked to "take my chips and **** off home". :)

Almost a badge of (dis)honour!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They were. Low 30s I think. 

Cardiff oddly provided a rather strange HMHB moment when we were then. 

I've never seen the show 'Plebs' which - so I now understand - is filmed in Cardiff, was in a pub an hour or so before the gig and my mate spots one of the actors from the show in the pub and goes to say hello to him as he enjoyed the series. 

They were chatting away and the actor was completely unaware of both HMHB and the fact his father is namechecked in one of their songs.

The actor, Tom Rosenthal, son of Jim and referenced in Bob Wilson - Anchorman. 

We left the pub with Tom having listened to HMHB and Bob Wilson Anchorman. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Cardiff oddly provided a rather strange HMHB moment when we were then. 

I've never seen the show 'Plebs' which - so I now understand - is filmed in Cardiff, was in a pub an hour or so before the gig and my mate spots one of the actors from the show in the pub and goes to say hello to him as he enjoyed the series. 

They were chatting away and the actor was completely unaware of both HMHB and the fact his father is namechecked in one of their songs.

The actor, Tom Rosenthal, son of Jim and referenced in Bob Wilson - Anchorman. 

We left the pub with Tom having listened to HMHB and Bob Wilson Anchorman. 

Most excellent. HMHB have a number of celebrity fans and if Tom, who I think of as Johnny from Friday Night Dinner, becomes another it was good work.

I know a scurrilous story about Jim R which, out of respect for Tom and the libel laws of the UK, I will not repeat here. 

20 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I knew we had a dedicated HMHB thread somewhere - and the reason I'm posting in it....

Half Man Half Biscuit - SWX Bristol

Bristol Gig in September - get thee involved! 

I saw this on one of the Facebook groups a couple of weeks back, the only thing that puts me off is the reputation of the venue itself. Several of the group had reservations and my neighbour who is disabled and a keen music follower, said that the security staff seem keen to create antagonism even the dedicated accessibility areas.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I saw this on one of the Facebook groups a couple of weeks back, the only thing that puts me off is the reputation of the venue itself. Several of the group had reservations and my neighbour who is disabled and a keen music follower, said that the security staff seem keen to create antagonism even the dedicated accessibility areas.

I've never had problems with the venue, but then I don't have any of the limitations your neighbour sounds like they have. If the venue is anything like any other late-night hospitality business, they probably have a huge turnover of staff so it might have been a case of an unfortunate shift-pattern rather than something they strive to do. Be amazed if any of their staff are still the same as those who worked there 12 months ago. 

Either way, it shouldn't happen. 

• Like 1

Another cracking HMHB night. Slightly adventurous careen through the back catalogue, but as ever, the all-time "hits" got played.  Killing Joke's Wardance as the New Wave cover version. 

If you were the City fan talking to the tall bearded bloke with a King Tut's Wah-Wah Hut T-shirt, that was me!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

On 16/09/2023 at 10:53, Red-Robbo said:

Another cracking HMHB night. Slightly adventurous careen through the back catalogue, but as ever, the all-time "hits" got played.  Killing Joke's Wardance as the New Wave cover version. 

If you were the City fan talking to the tall bearded bloke with a King Tut's Wah-Wah Hut T-shirt, that was me!

Was a cracking evening.

• Like 1