IGNORED

VAR will NOT be operational against Fulham

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

VAR will only be used in the  NINE games where the Home team is in the premier league 

Hasn't this always been the case?

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

To me it should only be used where both teams are Premier league. 

I thought in the past it only got used in the later rounds when all grounds could use it?

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Personally I think it should either be used in the whole competition or not at all, shouldn't matter what teams are in it

I'd be fine if it was used on a round by round basis, but it should be uniform across each round. So if one club in a round cannot use it, no one should. However when you get to a point where every home team can supply it (likely QF or SF stage) then go for it. 

Seems crazy the FA - who are a member of IFAB - haven't obtained a license for it to be used by the FA Cup. Bit of an oversight tbh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

What difference does it make?

Each individual match is still 'fair' as both teams are treated equally.

But it's not a one off game tournament . It's a knock out competition that is not being Refereed the same from one game to the next. 

A team can get knocked out, or go through with exactly the same incident as one that gets the opposite result. It should be all of them, or none.

• Like 4

• Admin
49 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd be fine if it was used on a round by round basis, but it should be uniform across each round. So if one club in a round cannot use it, no one should. However when you get to a point where every home team can supply it (likely QF or SF stage) then go for it. 

Seems crazy the FA - who are a member of IFAB - haven't obtained a license for it to be used by the FA Cup. Bit of an oversight tbh.

I thought that was the case, as I mentioned above

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What is ridiculous (unless it`s changed) is that it can be used in a game which then needs a replay but not in the replay itself if the home team doesn`t have it (I do know there aren`t any replays in this round or the next but normally it would be the case. Our game at Blades was a case in point.

Are you sure this is correct - I thought if not used in the first tie it could not be used in the replay?

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I thought that was the case, as I mentioned above

Are you sure this is correct - I thought if not used in the first tie it could not be used in the replay?

Well, it was definitely used in our game at Bramall Lane as their penalty/Mawson red card was given using it. Obviously it wouldn`t have been able to be used if we`d drawn as we don`t have it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

But it's not a one off game tournament . It's a knock out competition that is not being Refereed the same from one game to the next. 

A team can get knocked out, or go through with exactly the same incident as one that gets the opposite result. It should be all of them, or none.

The use of technology has no bearing on the likelihood of a particular outcome in a game.

All the games are being refereed to the exact same set of rules - which is the crucial part. No two games are ever refereed exactly the same regardless of technology, but the rule set being used is the same.

It's perfectly fair and doesn't have a bearing on the chances of progression for each team. No bearing on chance of progression equals no affect on teams not involved in the games without technology and therefore it's perfectly fair for the competition overall.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The use of technology has no bearing on the likelihood of a particular outcome in a game.

All the games are being refereed to the exact same set of rules - which is the crucial part. No two games are ever refereed exactly the same regardless of technology, but the rule set being used is the same.

It's perfectly fair and doesn't have a bearing on the chances of progression for each team. No bearing on chance of progression equals no affect on teams not involved in the games without technology and therefore it's perfectly fair for the competition overall.

No but the poster meant in hindsight obviously. We could play a tie away at a non league club , for example, and lose because a goal of ours was ruled out for not being over the line when it clearly was, whereas if we had been away to a club in the Championship, goal line technology would have signalled a goal. If there were NO other contensious issues in the game, then we would be out because of it.

Edited by The Horse With No Name

29 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No but the poster meant in hindsight obviously. We could play a tie away at a non league club , for example, and lose because a goal of ours was ruled out for not being over the line when it clearly was, whereas if we had been away to a club in the Championship, goal line technology would have signalled a goal. If there were NO other contensious issues in the game, then we would be out because of it.

But who is this unfair on?

The same thing could happen to both sides.

This isn't an argument against the use of technology.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Personally I think it should either be used in the whole competition or not at all, shouldn't matter what teams are in it

Agree….⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

…but this is a good idea, but ⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

What difference does it make?

Each individual match is still 'fair' as both teams are treated equally.

…the only downside is suspensions from previous rounds if VAR is or isn’t used.  But I think I’d still go with ExikedAjax’s idea.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

All the games are being refereed to the exact same set of rules

They are, but not to the same extent or standards. Which makes a mockery of the Competition IMO.
See any goal that VAR gives offside by a small margin , maybe that same goal gets given if there's no VAR. So not the same then.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

They are, but not to the same extent or standards. Which makes a mockery of the Competition IMO.
See any goal that VAR gives offside by a small margin , maybe that same goal gets given if there's no VAR. So not the same then.

My answer to this post is the same as to a previous one.

Who is that unfair on?

It could happen to both sides, it doesn't alter the fairness of the competition. It has no affect on any games being played other than the one in which it is used and in that game it is applied equally for both sides.

17 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well, it was definitely used in our game at Bramall Lane as their penalty/Mawson red card was given using it. Obviously it wouldn`t have been able to be used if we`d drawn as we don`t have it.

The game up at Bramall Lane was a one off tie, the game would have gone to extra time and penalty’s had we drawn.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

My answer to this post is the same as to a previous one.

Who is that unfair on?

It could happen to both sides, it doesn't alter the fairness of the competition. It has no affect on any games being played other than the one in which it is used and in that game it is applied equally for both sides.

Again, the same exact thing can happen in two separate games . City have a goal disallowed for an obvious offside. A Prem side does the same thing. City go out and because VAR spots it, the Prem side goes through. One thing having the Ref & assistants making calls and getting things wrong, but you have a sort of double jeopardy with the games with VAR. The rules, the equipment in fact everything should be the same, game to game across the competition .

Why do they have VAR at every Prem ground ? It doesn't affect one game against the next, just that one it's used in. They have it because they have to have the same across the entire competition, why not Cup comp's ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Precisely.

You are proving my point for me.

It isn't unfair to use it then.

Wow, that is impressive , taking a small quote completely out of context and bending a point.

You didn't answer BTW

Why do all the Prem sides have VAR, why do Promoted team have to instal VAR. Why not give them a year or two to see if they will stay in the Prem or if they like it ?

Edited by 1960maaan

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wow, that is impressive , taking a small quote completely out of context and bending a point.

You didn't answer BTW

Why do all the Prem sides have VAR, why do Promoted team have to instal VAR. Why not give them a year or two to see if they will stay in the Prem or if they like it ?

All Premier League sides have to have VAR because those are the rules set by the Premier League. However, they are not the rules set by the FA for the FA Cup.

They use VAR because they believe it improves the application of the rules in each match in which it is used. It doesn't, however, change the rules.

The FA's view is exactly what mine is. If you can improve the application of the same rule set in some matches then there is no reason not to do so. Therefore if VAR exists, use it. If it doesn't, it has no impact on the fairness of the game or competition.

Your argument is exactly the same as saying all matches should have the same referee, because some are better than others. Or all matches should have the same pitch, because some are better than others. It doesn't make sense. As long as it's the same for both teams in the matches being played, it is fair for the competition overall. The competition is only skewed if the same rules are not being applied across matches, or if the chance if progression for certain teams is skewed. VAR doesn't alter either of those.

4 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

All Premier League sides have to have VAR because those are the rules set by the Premier League. However, they are not the rules set by the FA for the FA Cup.

They use VAR because they believe it improves the application of the rules in each match in which it is used. It doesn't, however, change the rules.

The FA's view is exactly what mine is. If you can improve the application of the same rule set in some matches then there is no reason not to do so. Therefore if VAR exists, use it. If it doesn't, it has no impact on the fairness of the game or competition.

Your argument is exactly the same as saying all matches should have the same referee, because some are better than others. Or all matches should have the same pitch, because some are better than others. It doesn't make sense. As long as it's the same for both teams in the matches being played, it is fair for the competition overall. The competition is only skewed if the same rules are not being applied across matches, or if the chance if progression for certain teams is skewed. VAR doesn't alter either of those.

But why bother with the rules ? You said it doesn't make any difference game to game, why do they think differently ? 

As for "Your argument is exactly the same as saying all matches should have the same referee," No, my argument is all matches should have a Referee. 

And 'The competition is only skewed if the same rules are not being applied across matches" They aren't being applied to the same standards. 2/3/4 looks at the same incident, when you can't in other games. 

We aren't going to agree, so I'm going back to watch City end in glorious defeat.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

But why bother with the rules ? You said it doesn't make any difference game to game, why do they think differently ? 

As for "Your argument is exactly the same as saying all matches should have the same referee," No, my argument is all matches should have a Referee. 

And 'The competition is only skewed if the same rules are not being applied across matches" They aren't being applied to the same standards. 2/3/4 looks at the same incident, when you can't in other games. 

We aren't going to agree, so I'm going back to watch City end in glorious defeat.

The FA agrees with me though so that'll do.