IGNORED

The Dead of 2022

phantom

55 minutes ago, TomF said:

Used to listen to Sorry I Havent A Clue for years in back of my parents car

Well worth listening to latest series on bbcsounds. The last 2 episodes were up there with the best ever. Jack Dee is better than Humph (blasphemy?) and Milton Jones was in top form.

• Like 1

Just listening to the Kermode and Mayo Podcast, it seems we missed the passing of Doug Trumbull.

He directed the great Silent Running, but it was his Director of Photography and Visual Effects he was best known for.

His resume reads like a lot of peoples top sci fi list.

Silent Running

Andromeda Strain 

2001: A Space Odyssey

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Blade Runner

Star Trek the Motion Picture

As has been pointed out before on here, genius is an overused adjective, but deserved in this case.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's one of the good guys. Lovely dry sense of humour. 

Not someone I could say I was attuned with politically, but his humour was such that it transcended that. If you can laugh at a statement you are fundamentally opposed too, it becomes a little bit of a reality check.

I loved his observational humour.  One of his books opens with him on a flight into Albania where he suggests that it tells you all you need to know about Albanians.

Apparently every hill and mountain has a dwelling on top of it, "the only reason for this, is that it makes your home easier to defend, which is important in a country where tribal feuding is the norm" he said. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not someone I could say I was attuned with politically, but his humour was such that it transcended that. If you can laugh at a statement you are fundamentally opposed too, it becomes a little bit of a reality check.

I loved his observational humour.  One of his books opens with him on a flight into Albania where he suggests that it tells you all you need to know about Albanians.

Apparently every hill and mountain has a dwelling on top of it, "the only reason for this, is that it makes your home easier to defend, which is important in a country where tribal feuding is the norm" he said. :)

Same.

He was a Libertarian, which in the US encompasses a lot of folk who don't want the government to do anything apart from buy arms from their companies and provide police to ensure poor folk don't encroach on their properties.  However his angle was anti-Nanny State and in particular allowing people to drink, smoke and take drugs to their own detriment if that's what they want, providing they have the correct information on all those products. 

I can get with that.

Unlike the "I don't like paying any tax" Libertarians, he was also anti-Trump. 

Remember his very dry, although slightly cliched, BA adverts?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Same.

He was a Libertarian, which in the US encompasses a lot of folk who don't want the government to do anything apart from buy arms from their companies and provide police to ensure poor folk don't encroach on their properties.  However his angle was anti-Nanny State and in particular allowing people to drink, smoke and take drugs to their own detriment if that's what they want, providing they have the correct information on all those products. 

I can get with that.

Unlike the "I don't like paying any tax" Libertarians, he was also anti-Trump. 

Remember his very dry, although slightly cliched, BA adverts?

Blast from the past indeed. :) 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Very sad to hear this. Both with the Screaming Trees and as a solo artist, he was superb. 

When Isobel Campbell left Belle and Sebastian her collaboration with Lanegan saved her from the bland emptiness that did for Dido. A great singer and writer who brought out the best in others. If you don’t know his solo stuff Google “Strange Religion” and lament his passing…..

Edited by Renaissance Williams
Just dug out “Bubblegum” - I’d forgotten “Mephamphetamine Blues” - Rest In Peace, and time for bed…..
  • Like 3