IGNORED

The Dead of 2022

phantom

8 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

It's actually crazy just how many great bands Manchester produced in the 80s and 90s.

RIP Paul ?

They always go on about Liverpool but when you look at it Manchester has produced far more and even Sheffield is in with a shout. Take the Beatles out of the equation and Liverpool`s nowhere really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They always go on about Liverpool but when you look at it Manchester has produced far more and even Sheffield is in with a shout. Take the Beatles out of the equation and Liverpool`s nowhere really.

I was thinking that after reading this thread. The Beatles are obviously huge. But like you say, take them out and Manchester music kicks the shit out of Liverpool. It kicks the shit out of most cities to be honest. 

• Like 1

Just now, BS2 Red said:

I was thinking that after reading this thread. The Beatles are obviously huge. But like you say, take them out and Manchester music kicks the shit out of Liverpool. It kicks the shit out of most cities to be honest. 

Sheffield punches well above it`s weight too. Pulp, The Human League, Joe Cocker, Cabaret Voltaire, ABC, Richard Hawley, Def Leppard (I think) and that`s just off the top of my head.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sheffield punches well above it`s weight too. Pulp, The Human League, Joe Cocker, Cabaret Voltaire, ABC, Richard Hawley, Def Leppard (I think) and that`s just off the top of my head.

Good shout.

I think Bristol has had some amazing bands, but in overall quantity we really are punching below our weight. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Arctic Monkeys too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Massive Attack and Portishead. That’s it isn’t it?

Adge Cutler, Roni Size, some of Bananarama, Idles. Tricky I guess, but he started with Massive Attack.

I can't think of any others though. It's shocking how few acts Bristol has produced over the years.

Just now, BS2 Red said:

Adge Cutler, Roni Size, some of Bananarama, Idles. Tricky I guess, but he started with Massive Attack.

I can't think of any others though. It's shocking how few acts Bristol has produced over the years.

Especially how artistic Bristol is. You’d think there would be a hell of a lot more music out of this City.

• Like 1

Just now, Lew-T said:

Especially how artistic Bristol is. You’d think there would be a hell of a lot more music out of this City.

Liverpool: "We had the Beatles!"

Manchester: "We had Oasis!"

Sheffield: "We had Pulp!"

Bristol: "We've got an acoustic folk act in the Seven Stars on Sunday afternoon....."

;) 

14 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Ok I will take The Beatles out of the equation. :)

This is a list of notable bands and artists from Merseyside, North West England. For over fifty years, the area has had a thriving pop and rock music scene, 

A

A Flock of Seagulls

Afraid of Mice

Alexis Blue:

Alpha Male Tea Party

Alterkicks:

Amsterdam: 

Antimatter

Apollo 440:

Atomic Kitten: 

Ian Astbury

Jacqui Abbott

B

Badfinger: Though originally formed in Swansea, two members came from Liverpool.

Banners: 

The Bandits: 

BB Mak

Benny Profane: 

Bicycle Thieves

Big in Japan: 

Cilla Black: 

Black: 

The Black Velvets:

The Boo Radleys: 

Buster

C

Cast: 1990s Britpop group

Care

Cecil

The Cheap Thrills

The Cherry Boys 

China Crisis: 

The Christians: 

Circa Waves: 

Clean Cut Kid:

The Coral: 

Peter Edward Clarke (born 21 August 1957, in St Helens, Merseyside), better known as Budgie

Cook da Books:

The Crescent

D

Dalek I Love You: 

Dead or Alive:

The Dead 60s: 

Deaf School 

Carol Decker 

E

Echo & the Bunnymen: 1980s post-punk band, one of the most successful and long-lived of the era

Ellery Bop:

Jennifer Ellison:

Engine

F

The Farm

Frankie Goes to Hollywood: 

Freeze Frame

Billy Fury

G

Gerry & the Pacemakers

Gomez: 

H

Half Man Half Biscuit:

Her's

Paul Heaton

I

Ian and the Zodiacs

Icicle Works: 

It's Immaterial

J

Johnny Boy

Holly Johnson:

K

Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes

Kling Klang: 

The KLF: 

The Koobas

Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas: Performed as 'Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas' and billed as a Merseybeat band when under Brian Epstein's management in the 1960s[38]

L

The La's: 

Ladytron: 

Lightning Seeds: 

The Little Flames: 

The Lotus Eaters: 

Julian Lennon 

M

Malik & the O.G's

Marc Almond

Marseille

The Maybes?

The Mekano Set: 

The Merseybeats

O

The Onset

Ooberman: 

The Open: 

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark:

Our Kid:  :)

P

The Pale Fountains:

Pele: 

Pink Military

R

The Real Thing: 

Red Flag:

Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesu

Rick Astley:  :)

The Room: 

Rooney:

S

Scorpio Rising 

The Seal Cub Clubbing Club

The Searchers:

Shack: 

She Drew the Gun: (One of my current favourites)

Short Sharp Shock: 

Sound of Guns

Space

Spider: 

The Spitfire Boys

The Stands

Stealing Sheep

Sunday Jones:

Supercharge: 

The Swinging Blue Jeans:

T

The Night Café:

The Teardrop Explodes 

The Tempest

To My Boy

Tokyo Adventures

Tramp Attack

The Troubadours

Two People

U

Ultrabeat 

The Undertakers:

Urban Strawberry Lunch

W

Wah!: Pete Wylie vehicle, variously known as Wah! Heat and The Mighty Wah!

Wave Machines

The Wild Swans: Post-punk/new wave band

Wimple Winch: 

Where's the Beach:

The Wombats:

Y

Yachts

Z

The Zutons

__--------__

Amazed anyone mentions Merseyside to be honest. :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Massive Attack and Portishead. That’s it isn’t it?

12 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

There have been lots that were underground "hits" like Brilliant Corners, Essential Bop, Kill it Kid, but it's a bit like sport in that there isn't the motivation to get out of a nice city to make the next step.

23 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Roger Cook was one of ours who wrote loads of well known songs. He is the only British songwriter to have been entered into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. 

Ah Yes, born in Fishponds, no less.

Cook and Greenaway, who wrote such diverse classics as Bannerman, I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing and Congregation’s Softly Whispering I Love You.

I seem to recall reading some years ago that he wrote Bannerman whilst on a plane journey.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Cook and Greenaway, who wrote such diverse classics as Bannerman, I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing and Congregation’s Softly Whispering I Love You.

I seem to recall reading some years ago that he wrote Bannerman whilst on a plane journey.

Yes, but it was about the Kingswood Whitsun Parade

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just DON'T mention ........Melting Pot     (very unPC, now )