IGNORED

No more red : Credit to Arsenal

phantom

Being a bit of a grinch - I'd be more impressed if their mega-earning players (and Idris) chucked in some cash to fund another 25 community youth workers for a year or 3.

That might actually help.

Does anyone NOT know that knife-crime (along with most violent crime) is out of control in some suburbs of London.

White shirts won't help anyone.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Being a bit of a grinch - I'd be more impressed if their mega-earning players (and Idris) chucked in some cash to fund another 25 community youth workers for a year or 3.

Does anyone NOT know that knife-crime (along with most violent crime) is out of control in some suburbs of London.

Obviously the argument to this is the amount of tax the arsenal players pay would fund far more 25 community youth workers so in reality they are already doing more than you ask.

I wasn't aware that it was so bad so making people aware seems good to me.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Spot on

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Obviously the argument to this is the amount of tax the arsenal players pay would fund far more 25 community youth workers so in reality they are already doing more than you ask.

I wasn't aware that it was so bad so making people aware seems good to me.

Not sure anyone will know what percentage of a footballers tax would go to a particular charity. However if a donation is made, and gift aided, 25% will be added to the donation from the tax the footballer has paid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Media might promote out of control, but don’t think stats support that perspective. Murder rate not out of line with some other parts of the UK and given a population broadly in line with Hungary or Portugal, unsurprising that there’s some violent crime. Clearly there are issues, often linked to drugs/poverty and this initiative is looking to address some of those, but fair way removed from out of control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

At least their trying to do some good?...........instead of sitting at a keyboard, not achieving a great deal more than espousing negativity?

• Like 3

Knife crime is clearly a major problem, the link below makes sobering reading, count the number of times the word 'Stabbed' appears.

Homicide victims in London in 2021 - murdermap

Most charitable organisations don't need money most, they need media exposure, that helps drive cash, volunteers and 'clients' to them.  Arsenal doing this will get massive national and international press exposure that money cannot buy. 

As to footballers not putting their hands in their own pockets, how do you know that they don't? 

Edited by Hxj
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I’d agree with your first six words…..

I’m interested though in how you know what Arsenal players do and don’t spend their money on.

Also, whether your view about giving your time rather than money extends to things like royals and others who are patrons of charities, to celebrity UNICEF ambassadors and the like, to the lady next door who volunteers at the Oxfam shop. Or is it just footballers?

What really won’t help anyone is a government in denial about the consequences of 12 years of savage cuts to community and youth services and one that’s more interested in political point scoring than really solving the problem of knife crime in London.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Admittedly not the point but the kit is beautiful. The message is far more important and it’s difficult to change every young lad’s mind because of the glamorisation of violence and the allure of the money of being involved in crime and gang culture. BUT there is definitely a lot of kids that do get involved because they have genuinely nothing to do, and whilst not being particularly religious the phrase “the devil makes work for idle hands” is 100% true. 

At the end of the day it’s a one off kit being worn for one day and if it inspires just one person to try and make a difference it’s a good thing. Not like they’ve shelled out millions on a hit or miss attempt that could have been better spent.

And in response to a previous poster, everyone is aware of the knife crime epidemic in London - obviously. But messages like this inspire people to actually become active in helping kids which they might not have thought about doing before, not because they’re bad people, just not something that had crossed their mind - you’d be surprised how initiatives like this actually make an impact. And I’m sure Idris Elba does fund youth clubs considering that’s literally what his one of his charity’s main aims is.

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 10:56, Hxj said:

Knife crime is clearly a major problem, the link below makes sobering reading, count the number of times the word 'Stabbed' appears.

Homicide victims in London in 2021 - murdermap

Most charitable organisations don't need money most, they need media exposure, that helps drive cash, volunteers and 'clients' to them.  Arsenal doing this will get massive national and international press exposure that money cannot buy. 

As to footballers not putting their hands in their own pockets, how do you know that they don't? 

Many footballers do put their hands in their pockets and donate significant sums of money and time to charity, as does Idris Elba tbf. What they don’t do is tell all and sundry because the same people rinsing them for “not” doing it despite not really knowing would call them “big time” if they shouted it from the rooftops. Plus, like it or not, it’s their money and their business.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 08/01/2022 at 05:09, The Constant Rabbit said:

How do you know they don’t?  But even if they don’t, why should some footballers and an actor pay for it, lots of rich people in London could foot the bill if that’s how you want it to work.

14 hours ago, YCbrs said:

Admittedly not the point but the kit is beautiful. The message is far more important and it’s difficult to change every young lad’s mind because of the glamorisation of violence and the allure of the money of being involved in crime and gang culture. BUT there is definitely a lot of kids that do get involved because they have genuinely nothing to do, and whilst not being particularly religious the phrase “the devil makes work for idle hands” is 100% true. 

At the end of the day it’s a one off kit being worn for one day and if it inspires just one person to try and make a difference it’s a good thing. Not like they’ve shelled out millions on a hit or miss attempt that could have been better spent.

And in response to a previous poster, everyone is aware of the knife crime epidemic in London - obviously. But messages like this inspire people to actually become active in helping kids which they might not have thought about doing before, not because they’re bad people, just not something that had crossed their mind - you’d be surprised how initiatives like this actually make an impact. And I’m sure Idris Elba does fund youth clubs considering that’s literally what his one of his charity’s main aims is.

How do you mean?

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh I thought you were suggesting that there was nothing to do in terms of interests

I think it all goes hand in hand though… You have to consider the locality too. Some may have interests, some may not, it could possibly depend on their peer group? Growing up in a small town, I remember being a teenager and it wasn't considered cool by some, to have interests. I guess poverty has a hand to play in it as well. 

44 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think it all goes hand in hand though… You have to consider the locality too. Some may have interests, some may not, it could possibly depend on their peer group? Growing up in a small town, I remember being a teenager and it wasn't considered cool by some, to have interests. I guess poverty has a hand to play in it as well. 

Interests don't have to be uncool though: football, video games, making music... The kids of today have more options than any of the previous generations had.

The government and Sadiq Khan could be doing a lot more, of course. Certainly in helping those communities in the first place, but also with tougher sentencing.

It doesn't exactly help when the England football team appear to endorse music that makes light of street violence.

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Interests don't have to be uncool though: football, video games, making music... The kids of today have more options than any of the previous generations had.

The government and Sadiq Khan could be doing a lot more, of course. Certainly in helping those communities in the first place, but also with tougher sentencing.

It doesn't exactly help when the England football team appear to endorse music that makes light of street violence.

Some might do that but there are some who can't see anything apart from the path they are on. It's a complex situation.

• Like 1