IGNORED

No more red : Credit to Arsenal

phantom

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

The government and Sadiq Khan could be doing a lot more, of course. Certainly in helping those communities in the first place, but also with tougher sentencing.

Yep. They take away the funding for community workers and then wonder why things like this get worse.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

How do you mean?

Like someone else said, and the whole speech Idris gave before the game was largely related to youth clubs. It’s basically easier for kids to get involved in crime and gangs than to have something constructive to do in a safer place. If there was more safe places for kids to spend time after school before going home for the evening then over time violence would decrease. That’s why they’re emphasising youth clubs so much because it’s a place they can go to on a daily basis. Obviously you (not you, just anyone in general) could argue they could just go straight home every night but it’s a bit unrealistic to expect every teenager to want to spend every second between school and home. Short version is just keeping kids occupied I guess.

2 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Like someone else said, and the whole speech Idris gave before the game was largely related to youth clubs. It’s basically easier for kids to get involved in crime and gangs than to have something constructive to do in a safer place. If there was more safe places for kids to spend time after school before going home for the evening then over time violence would decrease. That’s why they’re emphasising youth clubs so much because it’s a place they can go to on a daily basis. Obviously you (not you, just anyone in general) could argue they could just go straight home every night but it’s a bit unrealistic to expect every teenager to want to spend every second between school and home. Short version is just keeping kids occupied I guess.

I think that goes some way to explaining why youths gather in groups (and in some cases get involved in crime). A lot of us did that when we were teenagers. But there's still a fairly large leap from that to stabbing someone. 

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

I think that goes some way to explaining why youths gather in groups (and in some cases get involved in crime). A lot of us did that when we were teenagers. But there's still a fairly large leap from that to stabbing someone. 

100%, but my guess (and it is a guess) is that it’s influence from the older members of gangs that make the kids think it’s normal and/or okay to stab or shoot someone if needs be. The youth club aspect takes the older influence out and would just be kids, I’m sure there would be fights etc because everyone has fights when they’re younger but if I had one I’d rather my son came home with a black eye or a busted hand than a stab wound.

6 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

100%, but my guess (and it is a guess) is that it’s influence from the older members of gangs that make the kids think it’s normal and/or okay to stab or shoot someone if needs be. The youth club aspect takes the older influence out and would just be kids, I’m sure there would be fights etc because everyone has fights when they’re younger but if I had one I’d rather my son came home with a black eye or a busted hand than a stab wound.

Totally. There generally needs to be much more positive influences in these communities.

• Like 1

Having been involved with Paediatric Major Trauma for a while, I can tell you that knife crime and stabbings are a huge problem in London particularly, and the age of those involved is dropping, such that it’s now not uncommon among 13 and 14 year olds. It is a huge societal issue which feeds into poverty and I also hate to say it, race and ethnicity. Family breakdown is another big problem as are the gangs with their involvement in drugs and other crime.

Anything that highlights this issue and tries to reduce its incidence is good, but unfortunately until many of the wider problems are resolved, then it will be impossible to root out completely.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Having been involved with Paediatric Major Trauma for a while, I can tell you that knife crime and stabbings are a huge problem in London particularly, and the age of those involved is dropping, such that it’s now not uncommon among 13 and 14 year olds. It is a huge societal issue which feeds into poverty and I also hate to say it, race and ethnicity. Family breakdown is another big problem as are the gangs with their involvement in drugs and other crime.

Anything that highlights this issue and tries to reduce its incidence is good, but unfortunately until many of the wider problems are resolved, then it will be impossible to root out completely.

Idris said that during his pre match speech that realistically there is no way you’ll completely root out gang culture as a whole, it’s too endemic now. Even in other cities, Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester probably being the other most prevalent alongside London. I don’t know what the answer is whatsoever, but I think the whole safe space that keeps kids away from gangs idea is crucial and would make a major impact.

• Like 1