IGNORED

Fulham at home (FA Cup third round) match day thread

15 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Tomorrow at 1230 at Ashton Gate is the first of two consecutive games against Fulham, something I don’t like as I fear grudges from the first game may seek to be settled just a week later!

Here’s todays programme: https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/digital-matchday-programme/

The match will be unavailable on Robins TV.

Fulham haven’t played since 20th December when they lost 1-0 at Craven Cottage to Sheffield United, they drew the four previous games so their last win was November 20th.

NP has hinted at some changes in personnel for us although he doesn’t want to ‘lower the intensity’ we may see KP involved along with others.

Sadly, we have experienced more lows than highs in the FA Cup.

The highest of highs was in 1909 when we won through to our only FA Cup Final, though of course we were somewhat fortunate that a last-gasp spot-kick saved us from defeat in the semi-final versus Derby County in a game played at Stamford Bridge . In the final, at the Crystal Palace (now the National Sports Centre), we lost to Manchester United 1–0.

In living memory the highs include a famous victory at Elland Road in 1974, a game I attended as a naive 17 year old year old. When Donnie Gillies scored I went completely crazy - then realised that nobody within 50 yards of me was celebrating! http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm and https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-invincible-leeds-3845168 For younger viewers at this time Leeds United were considered to be invincible and violence at grounds was far more commonplace and often more serious.

Donnie was one of numerous Scottish players in our team in the 70s and 80s along with players such as Gow, Sweeney, Richie, Fitzpatrick, Cormack and Shaw. Last I heard Gillies was still living locally at Temple Cloud.

Another memorable FA Cup game came twenty years later with a win against Liverpool at Anfield, Brian Tinnion scoring the only goal of the game in the 66th minute. https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/01/on-this-day-liverpool-0-bristol-city-1-the-end-of-souness/ (the goal is at 14.05 but it is well worth watching the full clip.)

Club legend Tinnion is in an exclusive club of just five players to have featured more than 500 times for City. The Geordie came through the ranks of Newcastle United, where he played alongside Paul Gascoigne.

Signed in 1993 from Bradford City, Tinnion spent 12 seasons as a player at Ashton Gate, before taking over from Danny Wilson at the helm in 2004.

Tinnion scored his first goal for the club against Bristol Rovers, a penalty in front of the open end.
As a player, Tinnion's left foot was magical, like a wand. He helped the team to promotion in 1997/98 under John Ward, and lifted the 2003 LDV Vans Trophy in Cardiff.

Initially he was the club's player-manager, ironically in his testimonial year, but soon hung up his boots to concentrate full time in the role. Inconsistency in 2005/06 saw Tinnion, in the wake of a 7-1 loss at Swansea City, agree to step aside.

He dusted off his boots to play for the likes of Aldershot and Weston-super-Mare, before moving out to Spain to run coaching courses and embark on scouting missions.

Then in 2013 Tinnion returned to Ashton Gate to head up youth recruitment in the Academy. He was the club's Loans Manager until his new title of Player Pathway Manager in January 2021. He also works as an ambassador for City.

Last season we were beaten 1-0 in the fifth round by Sheffield United having won against Pompey and Millwall.

As for our visitors when in the Second Division Fulham finally made it through to the FA Cup Final in 1975. Every one of the five ties that were won on the way to Wembley were away from the Cottage, and no club, before or since, has played as many matches to get there. It took seven games to dispose of Hull City and Nottingham Forest, before a victory over First Division table-toppers Everton in the Fifth Round. For many, the Final itself was anti-climatic, West Ham United winning 2-0 to take the trophy against a Fulham side that included former Hammers captain Bobby Moore in their starting XI.

Third Division Fulham set an FA Cup record in 1995/96 when they thrashed Second Division Swansea City 7-0 in a First-Round tie at the Cottage  and the scoreline remains the largest-winning margin in the competition by a club over opponents from a higher division.

It wasn’t until the 2001/02 season that Fulham, now back in the top flight, made a mark on the FA Cup again when they reached the last four after disposing of Wycombe Wanderers, York City, Walsall and West Bromwich Albion. They met bitter rivals Chelsea at Villa Park in the Semi-Final but a John Terry effort was enough to win the game for the Blues.

FA Cup facts

• Spurs are the only non-league team to have won the FA Cup. They won it in 1901, and then 60 years later they became the first team to win the league and cup double.
  • The highest score line in the final is 6-0, when Derby County were beaten by Bury in 1903.
  • The longest FA Cup tie lasted five games. This incredibly long game was finally ended when Bury beat Stoke in the 4th replay in 1954.
  • Leicester City have reached the final four times. Of those four times, none of them resulted in victory.
  • The fastest goal scored in the FA Cup final was 42 seconds. This amazing goal was scored by Roberto Di Matteo, who played for Chelsea, and later managed them to a Champions League title.
  • The first player to be sent off in the FA Cup final was Kevin Moran of Manchester United in 1985 in the match against Everton.
  • Arsenal have lost 6-0 three times in the FA Cup. The first was against Sunderland in 1883, the second against Derby in 1889, and the third against West Ham in 1946.
  • West Brom were the first team to win the FA Cup with a completely English-born team in 1888.
  • Blackburn had an amazing run of 24 consecutive games in which they were undefeated during the FA Cup between the years 1884 and 1886.
  • Ashley Cole holds seven winner’s medals. No one else has previously won so many before.
  • In 1990 the three semi-final matches had a total of 16 goals. The goals were scored by 16 different players, which is really quite bizarre.
  • In 1946 and 1947 the ball actually burst in both finals, something which has not occurred since. This is likely due to the poor materials used to make the balls in post-wartime Britain and the lack of back-up balls we have today.

E685D3FB-5013-4902-8551-D91C57FDAD3A.jpeg

Your facts are a year out of date

2 minutes ago, redpole said:

So who’s not involved??? Bakinson,Towler and James??? Anyone else from normal squads???

Simpson, but he's not been in the last few 18s.  Only others are:

Cundy - returning from injury

Williams - back training

Tanner - injured

Baker - injured

Morton - god knows

Britton - training with u23s

S.Pearson - ditto

We really have a small squad.

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Well the ridiculous pricing hasn't helped. 

This could have been a game used to get young fans down to the ground and to generate interest amongst the next generation. 

Reduced adult prices (£10-£15) would have seen at least 15,000 down there. 

Yes agreed, £10-12 ,would have got bigger crowd

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Apparently Fulham blocked the price city wanted to charge. That’s the rumour anyway 

I read that home team sets prices for cup tickets.

Certainly the away team do not control concessions so Bristol Sport has decided S/T privileges are null and void today

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simpson, but he's not been in the last few 18s.  Only others are:

Cundy - returning from injury

Williams - back training

Tanner - injured

Baker - injured

Morton - god knows

Britton - training with u23s

S.Pearson - ditto

We really have a small squad.

Simpson, good shout. I didn’t include others as they were injured. I take it Bakinson,James, Towler and Simpson injured now then? Otherwise why have 2 GKs on bench.  

Looking at that, I don’t think our squad is that small??? 

1 minute ago, redpole said:

Simpson, good shout. I didn’t include others as they were injured. I take it Bakinson,James, Towler and Simpson injured now then? Otherwise why have 2 GKs on bench.  

Looking at that, I don’t think our squad is that small??? 

Towler cuptied