IGNORED

Fulham at home (FA Cup third round) match day thread

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he had a good game today.  Think he linked well with Pring too.

Same. Yes he lacks in quality. Welcome to the championship. He gives us an outlet. Strong on the ball and receive passes with someone on his back kicking him. Does his defensive duties quite well in that position and as you said links with Pring very well. We have no alternatives other than Pring who I think has found a real home at LCB.

Eventually you’d like to see better but not sure it’ll be that easy to find an upgrade over the next few windows. If we can talk him into that extension at lower terms(harder because is younger) then I’d be all for a new 2+1 deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

For me that O'dowda non-finish was the main highlight of the game, sacrilege he blazed it over the bar, near unforgivable for me.

It was on his wrong foot but he had a lot of time to pick a spot anywhere in a clear third of the goal net. Not keeping the ball low is criminal.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My tweet to 20Man

Mr Miserable’s tweet….he couldn’t find anything positive to say after that…sums him up.

Some people are at their happiest when they are unhappy. I’ve noticed an improvement in recent weeks and can applaud that and enjoy it but God I reckon if we win the Champions League some would still pick faults!  Didn’t go today as the wife gave birth last night but sounds like I missed a great game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
7 minutes ago, dREDful said:

I think what he says is fair enough. They don't score their goal had we been better in and around the box (mainly looking at CODs finishing and crossing), Conway had a chance beforehand too. Against this level of side you have to take your chances. 

That being said I also agree with you on him not stating anything positive. We played very well over 70% of the pitch and imo were the better side for 95 mins. 

That’s the point.  Imagine not being compelled to right just one positive thing today. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Just now, Red Billy said:

Some people are at their happiest when they are unhappy. I’ve noticed an improvement in recent weeks and can applaud that and enjoy it but God I reckon if we win the Champions League some would still pick faults!  Didn’t go today as the wife gave birth last night but sounds like I missed a great game.

Congrats.

• Like 2

For me although we lost I have to say that's 3 performances in a row where I felt our team played great. Is something starting to build, I really hope so.. 

Really encouraging stuff, I'm definitely a glass half full kind of person but we aren't going to win them all. However more performances like the last 3 games and we are definitely on the way up the table.

• Like 12
2 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Congratulations Billy. 

My missus had our second 14 years ago on the day we narrowly lost to Boro in the equivalent cup game that season. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My tweet to 20Man

Mr Miserable’s tweet….he couldn’t find anything positive to say after that…sums him up.

Nothing wrong with being critical, or realistic, but this guy Ian puts such a downer on games. Instead of being able to start of giving a nod to the obvious improvement, he’s always got address the negative stuff first. The realism bit is that we have been a basket case of a club with feeble leadership, wasteful recruitment policy and the stuff served up has been generally crap. However the last 3 performances have been pretty good and has shown what could be possible with a few decent signings with the right character, and most importantly building the confidence of this squad. So yes our crossing is often poor, we panic and lack confidence in our finishing, but there are signs that there is something to build on. 

We are only just beginning a build. In fact we’re still demolishing the crap left over this season while still trying to stay in this decision... oh and we’ve got no money. It’ll be next summer at least before we see the start of the build.

I respect a lot of what Ian says on the podcast even if I disagree, all about opinions and all that, but sometimes he needs to allow himself to dish out some credit where it’s due first then get into the detail of what went wrong, but also what went right.

• Like 6

Jesus, since when do 1st cup matches go to ET or have I missed something !!  Watched on hesgoal ( no commentary) and at 90+ 5 logged out at FT. I know I am getting old but went and had a kip and just got up to the fact ET was played. Not sorry for missing up and we lost ( now concentrate on the league, our Annual statement ) but when did this ET in first game come in. Genuinely interested.?

• Haha 2
Just now, oldstandrobin said:

Jesus, since when do 1st cup matches go to ET or have I missed something !!  Watched on hesgoal ( no commentary) and at 90+ 5 logged out at FT. I know I am getting old but went and had a kip and just got up to the fact ET was played. Not sorry for missing up and we lost ( now concentrate on the league, our Annual statement ) but when did this ET in first game come in. Genuinely interested.?

This season because of fears of replays and Covid.

• Thanks 1

Thought that game was ours today that's a massive shift in performance.We look so much better with O'Leary in the side starting play at the back and not doing a Bentley lumping it up field, Benarous,Scott,Pring brilliant. O'dowda should taken his chance again he was frustrating Going into extra time think we faded with the subs being made,Overall I think things are moving forward and Pearson managing players in a professional way.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, PhilC said:

Depends how you look at it @Finley_Smith10.

Football fans suck up modern football far too easily in my opinion. You frequently hear of football fans wanting to protest about something or other, whether that's ownership (Perhaps the most common), challenging the position of the manager on the back of a long run of bad results, or simple things like ticket pricing. Quite often these protests don't come to fruition, or at best, is a small minority of fans protesting before or after the game, therfore not really having the intended impact and usually something the club involved can sweep under the carpet pretty quickly, and then carry on mugging off fans. Just look at the recent "walkout" by Everton fans. That was embarrassing.

As I said in another thread this week, hopefully someone at BCFC will see that they have got the pricing horribly wrong today, and wake up to this. And if what @Meh has said about concessions is true, well, that's shocking in my opinion and goes to show how out of touch the club, and football in general is with the fans right now.

Today wasn't an organised protest, it was simply the fans turning their back on the club for making a very poor decision, hence the low attendance.  

Your right it is embarrassing... for Bristol City FC.

Certainly is correct - my friend told the woman serving it was disgusting and she just shrugged (to be fair what else can she do).

I did wonder if the T&Cs covered this because I thought the discounts were any Bristol City game irrespective of competition 

50 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Same as always. His final ball, pass, cross or shot is invariably way off the target. He threatens to achieve but rarely does.

Seems to be destined to always be "The Nearly Man".........Flatters to deceive, is probably his best description?   Now i know that anyone  on the pitch could have missed, what was virtually an open goal?   But guess who it was that missed it?.  ?

15 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry first of all its my opinion. lets get it right we lost to a team in the same leaque. Fulham made 9 changes. T b h i am disappointed. ok we played well but no threat in there box. just feel we have gone backwards since cotts left. not convinced we are going in the right direction. i know i will get hammered for saying this.

We’ve gone backwards since 1978. What’s your point?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

Have to say, really liked Atkinson today. Something about the way he plays makes me so much less nervy when we’re under pressure. Good 120 today. Even outmuscled a fresh Mitro 4 or 5 times.

Was really pleased for him today, seems like he’s gone through a tough spell…but after a nervy start grew in confidence.  Hopefully a return to form.  Nige gave him a shout out, albeit didn’t go mad in the praise.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Nothing wrong with being critical, or realistic, but this guy Ian puts such a downer on games. Instead of being able to start of giving a nod to the obvious improvement, he’s always got address the negative stuff first. The realism bit is that we have been a basket case of a club with feeble leadership, wasteful recruitment policy and the stuff served up has been generally crap. However the last 3 performances have been pretty good and has shown what could be possible with a few decent signings with the right character, and most importantly building the confidence of this squad. So yes our crossing is often poor, we panic and lack confidence in our finishing, but there are signs that there is something to build on. 

We are only just beginning a build. In fact we’re still demolishing the crap left over this season while still trying to stay in this decision... oh and we’ve got no money. It’ll be next summer at least before we see the start of the build.

I respect a lot of what Ian says on the podcast even if I disagree, all about opinions and all that, but sometimes he needs to allow himself to dish out some credit where it’s due first then get into the detail of what went wrong, but also what went right.

Agree. Constantly pointing out the good or bad points is annoying, there has to be middle ground where reality lives. 

The last three games have been encouraging , I would actually say the last 2 defeats have been the best we've performed for about a year. We could have been better closing the cross. There was an easy 2V1 from a corner, and we didn't track the runner ,  but tired minds & legs lead to mistakes. That was one of very few mistakes we made in defence . Max had virtually nothing to do, until after they scored and we were chasing a goal.
In fact I thought Kalas & Atkinson were quietly solid through the game, Pring was outstanding. We have plenty to be optimistic about, and if we add Weimann and a slightly more clinical edge, then I think we can be fairly confident for the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1