IGNORED

Fulham at home (FA Cup third round) match day thread

For what it’s worth (and obvs my own opinion) today was the most enjoyment I’ve taken from watching us this season. Yep we didn’t take our chances when there but other than that I was massively impressed by both the teamwork and spirit we showed throughought the whole game. You can argue about a Fulham second string but by 70 mins they had a team out there that we would have prosituted ourselves to have in our own team as individuals. Thought Pring was immense today, thought Nakhi ran his arse off, thought King cemented our midfield. Then as extra time came Fulham could call on experience into a well gelled team whilst we were kind of square pegs in round holes (JD) at eight back for example! That said we didn’t deserve to lose and watching the likes of Mitrovic congratulating the likes of Max & Pring after the final whistle tells me we aren’t that far off!

yes it’ll be a struggle this year but what I’ve seen from the last few games gives me a huge amount of confidence & those that are still moaning clearly haven’t had the joy of watching us since 1980!!

• Like 3
Just now, Hampshire reds said:

Hopefully a couple of signings brought in this week. Have a nasty feeling a big offer for Alex could come in. The lad is a massive talent.

I really hope you`re wrong. Sadly, if a big bid does come in though he will be sold I fear. You have to hope that whatever a `big` club is prepared to pay for potential is below what we value him at - having 3(?) years left on his contract will help no end though.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

abuse. i said its my opinion. i dont agree with people on here but i dont call them names. if having an opinion then i surpose i am a dick and thick. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

No i am not ian. I respect ian for his opinions. good on him for having them. The problem on here is there are people who dont know there own minds but wait for me and others to have a comment then find it in themselves to slag us off. as for going backwards i think under Pearson we are. only my opinion.

So... I started a thread over a month ago - 'Pearson & Fleming out'- it was my opinion after what I consider to be some of the worst ongoing results and performances  in my time as a proper supporter ( i.e. I actually go to the matches as opposed to sitting on my sofa judging my club based on social media/radio commentary / dodgy live stream)

I completely agree with you about abuse- abuse of daring to think Lee was a decent manager and abuse that NP has been poor. You have an opinion which is as valid as anyone else's.

The key thing is that stuff changes and it's really important to be prepared to change your opinion if the situation changes. Dont get bogged down in a polarised opinion like the idiots did about Lee and his height.

The current performances of late have been what has been missing since Nige joined us and are steadily going in the right direction- I'm still on the fence as to his long term benefit to our club and he does seem to have a vicious and almost vindictive attitude towards certain players. However, he also seems to talk more sense than any Manager since.... probably Jordan and Ward.

Just give credit where credit is due- if we play well yet lose by the odd goal then that's football for you. If the team fail to turn up then you have to ask questions , not of MA/LJ/SL but of the Manager but right now NP is , imo, worthy of continuing in his job and my own opinion is changing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So... I started a thread over a month ago - 'Pearson & Fleming out'- it was my opinion after what I consider to be some of the worst ongoing results and performances  in my time as a proper supporter ( i.e. I actually go to the matches as opposed to sitting on my sofa judging my club based on social media/radio commentary / dodgy live stream)

I completely agree with you about abuse- abuse of daring to think Lee was a decent manager and abuse that NP has been poor. You have an opinion which is as valid as anyone else's.

The key thing is that stuff changes and it's really important to be prepared to change your opinion if the situation changes. Dont get bogged down in a polarised opinion like the idiots did about Lee and his height.

The current performances of late have been what has been missing since Nige joined us and are steadily going in the right direction- I'm still on the fence as to his long term benefit to our club and he does seem to have a vicious and almost vindictive attitude towards certain players. However, he also seems to talk more sense than any Manager since.... probably Jordan and Ward.

Just give credit where credit is due- if we play well yet lose by the odd goal then that's football for you. If the team fail to turn up then you have to ask questions , not of MA/LJ/SL but of the Manager but right now NP is , imo, worthy of continuing in his job and my own opinion is changing.

Before the Blackburn game it was a disorganised and demotivated mess, devoid of anything positive. 

I wanted a change of manager

Since that point though the improvement has been immense, on the pitch, in the dug out and obviously on the training ground. 

I no longer want a change of manager.

12 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Before the Blackburn game it was a disorganised and demotivated mess, devoid of anything positive. 

Since that point though the improvement has been immense, on the pitch, in the dug out and obviously on the training ground. 

Seems that since Pearson has recovered from Covid and been able to give his all we've been a lot better, I believe Blackburn was his first game properly back?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well Done for posting this!

The performances are on the up and this and long may this continue.

The fans got behind the team in the second half against Millwall when they could see the effort going in on the pitch. I hope that the fan’s continue to support the team as young players will make mistakes on the pitch which can cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

abuse. i said its my opinion. i dont agree with people on here but i dont call them names. if having an opinion then i surpose i am a dick and thick. 

I don't mind you putting forward your opinion. 

I think there are possibly signs of an improvement but I'd like to wait to see how sustained this 'revival' is until after we've played, say,  Fulham, Cardiff and Luton.

Perfectly reasonable though to question NP. His record is poor. Anyone would think he's trying to fashion something with Downs League players as well. We paid good money for Kalas, Atkinson, O'Dowda, Dasilva, Palmer, Massengo and Wells. He has very talented youngsters available to him as well. 

Any manager who thinks young Towler is ready to play in a two at the back shouldn't get a free pass, even from adoring, unquestioning NP worshippers.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I think there are possibly signs of an improvement but I'd like to wait to see how sustained this 'revival' is until after we've played, say,  Fulham, Cardiff and Luton.

Perfectly reasonable though to question NP. His record is poor. Anyone would think he's trying to fashion something with Downs League players as well. We paid good money for Kalas, Atkinson, O'Dowda, Dasilva, Palmer, Massengo and Wells. He has very talented youngsters available to him as well. 

Any manager who thinks young Towler is ready to play in a two at the back shouldn't get a free pass, even from adoring, unquestioning NP worshippers.

This is fair also.

6 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Reasonable for Conway to be rusty after so long out and neither of his chances were straightforward, decent keeping for first and defender hustling him for the second. Thought he put himself around and looked useful. A bit more game time and hopefully the finishing has the rust removed as like the look of him. Clearly a proven Championship scorer would be delightful, but generally they involve being exchanged for money, so we probably have to get by for now. 

You say rusty but in the short time he was on pitch he got in position to have two really good chances in a game where not real many chances were made. So there is definitely a glass half full view to be had of his performance. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Well said- I've maintained that our team is not a "shower of shite" etc, etc. We have some talented players perfectly capable of keeping us in this division.... although promotion seems further off than virtually at any point since our first season in the Championship with SC.

NP may get a free pass on OTIB in general but definitely not in a wider context. However- any manager is going to make some mistakes and odd selections but the point is that the PERFORMANCES are going in the right direction even if the results are still a bit iffy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Hopefully a couple of signings brought in this week. Have a nasty feeling a big offer for Alex could come in. The lad is a massive talent.

I really hope we don't sign anyone in this window.

We are not going up or down and we need to keep any resources we do have for the Summer when there will be dozens of suitable free agents and "released" youngsters to choose from.

3 year project = no rush.

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

NP may get a free pass on OTIB in general but definitely not in a wider context. However- any manager is going to make some mistakes and odd selections but the point is that the PERFORMANCES are going in the right direction even if the results are still a bit iffy.

I don’t think he gets a free pass.  Nobody in their right mind thinks we have a squad that resembles a “shower of shite either”.  What many posters realise is that the club has moved into a position that could be described as a “shower of shite” and that takes time and patience to remedy.  We have some good players, but we don’t have a squad of good players.  Alongside that you are gonna get inconsistency.  Even with a full strength squad you’ll see inconsistency, when you have injuries to key players you’ll see inconsistency, when you have to play several youngsters or players inexperienced at this level, you’ll see inconsistency, etc.

Some fans / OTIB posters are unable to accept a poor performance, e.g. Coventry (a), they expect a level of performance (fair enough), but don’t allow our opponents to have a say in how we play.  There are better teams in this division, some teams we think are worse than us (Luton, Coventry, etc) but they are further down their own projects than us.  We take a fairly City-only view of results and performances.  Today was good because I think most fans saw the performance was good even if the result wasn’t.  Maybe some of that comes from a couple of better preceding matches.

FWIW I think we started trying to play a bit more football at Birmingham (a) but defended poorly, James went off injured, we weathered a storm at Coventry to go 1-0 up then threw away the good work.  I think we used the international break to work hard on that system, with Williams back (only 2 games unfortunately) and confidence returned…but I think Brum was the start.

• Like 2

Slowly but surely, Nige is starting to get a tune out of this squad.

In recent weeks, we look much more comfortable within possession. We are pressing teams well and forcing them back. Too often previously have we invited pressure, yet today was a great example of how well we can move the ball and let the opposition worry about us. Fulham struggled to get out of their half during the first half of today's game. 

On another day, we get the win today, and quite comfortably too. 

We seem to have found a formation that suits us. So much so that we are now starting to see competition for places. 

The decision to bring Max in and drop Bentley was bold. However, it now looks to be the correct decision and has been a contributing factor to us looking to play out from the back (and doing so successfully). 

This is still going to be a long process. The club was clear that this will take a minimum of 3 years, our financial situation certainly backs that up. 

But we are starting to see improvements being made. We have an extremely young squad, that has many outstanding talents that could not only be the future of the club, but also the present too. 

The foundations are starting to be set for what is to come.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Slowly but surely, Nige is starting to get a tune out of this squad.

In recent weeks, we look much more comfortable within possession. We are pressing teams well and forcing them back. Too often previously have we invited pressure, yet today was a great example of how well we can move the ball and let the opposition worry about us. Fulham struggled to get out of their half during the first half of today's game. 

On another day, we get the win today, and quite comfortably too. 

We seem to have found a formation that suits us. So much so that we are now starting to see competition for places. 

The decision to bring Max in and drop Bentley was bold. However, it now looks to be the correct decision and has been a contributing factor to us looking to play out from the back (and doing so successfully). 

This is still going to be a long process. The club was clear that this will take a minimum of 3 years, our financial situation certainly backs that up. 

But we are starting to see improvements being made. We have an extremely young squad, that has many outstanding talents that could not only be the future of the club, but also the present too. 

The foundations are starting to be set for what is to come.

The way I’ve thought it in my mind - McInnes had an identical task, on the field and financially, he ****** us up. Sacked. O’Driscoll came in and ultimately couldn’t get a tune out of the squad or show serious signs of an upturn. Nige has come in, dealt with a near enough identical situation and struggled, but is now beginning to do what those two couldn’t. Turning us around and starting to play football we all want to watch. I feel hopeful and optimistic for a powerful future under Nigel. I think he is built of different stuff, and through hard times does not shirk, does not shrink, but works a little harder.

The last few games have revitalised me as a Bristol City fan, and I think we are on our way to good things. Stick by the man.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1
8 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

The way I’ve thought it in my mind - McInnes had an identical task, on the field and financially, he ****** us up. Sacked. O’Driscoll came in and ultimately couldn’t get a tune out of the squad or show serious signs of an upturn. Nige has come in, dealt with a near enough identical situation and struggled, but is now beginning to do what those two couldn’t. Turning us around and starting to play football we all want to watch. I feel hopeful and optimistic for a powerful future under Nigel. I think he is built of different stuff, and through hard times does not shirk, does not shrink, but works a little harder.

The last few games have revitalised me as a Bristol City fan, and I think we are on our way to good things. Stick by the man.

Before it is said, I am fully aware of the circumstances those two took over in. But ultimately, it isn’t that different to Nigel. The wrong appointment would have had us down and out this season. We are in the middle of the table with perhaps the weakest squad we’ve had since those relegation battles. The achievements Nige has had, such as beginning games with 7 academy players, should not be overlooked. Progress is coming and we will bear its fruits soon enough. 

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

I'd disagree to an extent, we saw some positive things even prior to the period from Blackburn at home but just phases in games or individual games or aspects.

From Blackburn at home and particularly IMO from 2nd half v Huddersfield, there have been real positive signs and consistently at that.

Whereas before we may have had some good results mixed with encouraging performances at times but certainly not with any great consistency.

Eg Fulham at home in September, lot of good things, but Millwall away disappointing and then a useful win at Peterborough albeit performance patchy in parts. Good things but not consistently!

Being the first side to beat Cardiff (though their results since may put it in a different light), reasonable vs Preston but 0-0 and then 2 pts dropped vs Luton...yet arguably the best performance of the 4 a loss to Swansea!

A consistency or evenness of performance definitely was lacking, but things feel more encouraging now.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, megansdad said:

for you perhaps - but for others not so - bottom line is really positive performance from a group of committed players. A good start to 2022

And no need to look at the league table either. The fact is we haven't lost any league games this year! 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

You say rusty but in the short time he was on pitch he got in position to have two really good chances in a game where not real many chances were made. So there is definitely a glass half full view to be had of his performance. 

Yep and posted similar on the TC thread, comments here were more that it’s very understandable not to be banging in goals galore on first appearance of season. Definitely lots to like, good runs, pace and putting himself about. And reports from age groups would indicate he’s a much more natural finisher than most, my Conway glass is definitely between half full and spilling over.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry the way the money is at the club a cup run would have been so important. win ugly then get a big club on tv in round 4. would have been worth so much. but people are ok with an improved performance and we lost. i know i will get slagged off(again,) but so be it.

Ifs, buts and maybes re the draw we’d get. It’s not as if we didn’t try or put in a decent performance, we lost, unluckily in my view, by one goal, in extra time, to a decent team. 

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yep and posted similar on the TC thread, comments here were more that it’s very understandable not to be banging in goals galore on first appearance of season. Definitely lots to like, good runs, pace and putting himself about. And reports from age groups would indicate he’s a much more natural finisher than most, my Conway glass is definitely between half full and spilling over.

Watching on the telly yesterday I saw two (more) things to add to the growing list of things I like about Tommy Conway:

1. A bent run to get down the left channel to stay onside 

2. A series of challenges in front of the dugouts where he cleverly used his body to make it difficult for his two opponents.

I just think he has a very mature “game” in him for a 19 year old.

I’m not gonna worry about a couple of chances not finished.  He’s shown composure at Millwall last season.  That will come.

• Like 3