IGNORED

Fulham at home (FA Cup third round) match day thread

35 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry the way the money is at the club a cup run would have been so important. win ugly then get a big club on tv in round 4. would have been worth so much. but people are ok with an improved performance and we lost. i know i will get slagged off(again,) but so be it.

Whereas if we'd played badly and won, you'd be absolutely fine with it?

Yeah right....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry the way the money is at the club a cup run would have been so important. win ugly then get a big club on tv in round 4. would have been worth so much. but people are ok with an improved performance and we lost. i know i will get slagged off(again,) but so be it.

We lost because in normal time COD misses a sitter for a player of his ability. The point is, like it or not, when you are building like we are getting the level of performance consistent and right comes first then you trust that results take care of themselves. Returning to the post Wolves LJ period of stealing points (getting battered and winning) is not along term sustainable solution which has literally been proven over the last 18 months.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Whereas if we'd played badly and won, you'd be absolutely fine with it?

Yeah right....

That’s been our issue though. Too much contentment for 3 years at playing crap and winning…..then it caught up with us which was as sure to happen as night follows day. Our building has always been built on sand.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Watching on the telly yesterday I saw two (more) things to add to the growing list of things I like about Tommy Conway:

1. A bent run to get down the left channel to stay onside 

2. A series of challenges in front of the dugouts where he cleverly used his body to make it difficult for his two opponents.

I just think he has a very mature “game” in him for a 19 year old.

I’m not gonna worry about a couple of chances not finished.  He’s shown composure at Millwall last season.  That will come.

Got a bit of an edge to him which is good to see in a young `un too.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We lost because in normal time COD misses a sitter for a player of his ability. The point is, like it or not, when you are building like we are getting the level of performance consistent and right comes first then you trust that results take care of themselves. Returning to the post Wolves LJ period of stealing points (getting battered and winning) is not along term sustainable solution which has literally been proven over the last 18 months.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Not for me. I want to see something sustainable over the medium to long term and built on proper foundations for the very first time since Steve bought his club 20 odd years ago. If that means losing some more games so be it.

Don't think 2018/19 was that bad and in the 2nd half of 2017/18 we still saw aspects of our good play.

2019/20 was where the rot really set in IMO- and even then, a counterfactual here- might we have grown into more control in games had Kalas, DaSilva, Nagy and Afobe not got injured medium-long term within 6 weeks of the start of the season! Take Kalas out and the ability to play a higher line can be diminished, DaSilva pre injuries was potentially a fine LB/LWB with good technical ability, Nagy made a great start, him being out so early was good from the POV that it helped us to play Massengo but we probably had to play him more than expected in Year 1 and Afobe- well putting Diedhiou in for Afobe in that shape negates us from a movement perspective etc- probably made it harder for Weimann and Palmer and the whole dynamic changed. Unlucky to get those 4 both as individuals and tactically injured medium-long term so early in the season!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think 2018/19 was that bad and in the 2nd half of 2017/18 we still saw aspects of our good play.

2019/20 was where the rot really set in IMO- and even then, a counterfactual here- might we have grown into more control in games had Kalas, DaSilva, Nagy and Afobe not got injured medium-long term within 6 weeks of the start of the season! Take Kalas out and the ability to play a higher line can be diminished, DaSilva pre injuries was potentially a fine LB/LWB with good technical ability, Nagy made a great start, him being out so early was good from the POV that it helped us to play Massengo but we probably had to play him more than expected in Year 1 and Afobe- well putting Diedhiou in for Afobe in that shape negates us from a movement perspective etc- probably made it harder for Weimann and Palmer and the whole dynamic changed. Unlucky to get those 4 both as individuals and tactically injured medium-long term so early in the season!

I want to see something in place that means if Managers and/or CEO’s change we have a plan for the next person to implement, what we have had in the last 20 years is an Owner who makes it up as he goes along or allows others to do so such as Swiss whose tenure here bordered on criminal. Whether we had a good season in 2017-18 is irrelevant to that aim.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I want to see something in place that means if Managers and/or CEO’s change we have a plan for the next person to implement, what we have had in the last 20 years is an Owner who makes it up as he goes along or allows others to do so such as Swiss whose tenure here bordered on criminal. Whether we had a good season in 2017-18 is irrelevant to that aim.

The long term planning is very important, I agree- but things might have looked different in 2019/20 without those 3-4 key injuries hitting us early and so on, fluidity and control might have improved over time. Simply post Wolves > crap, I think it's a bit more varied than that.

I'm happy with the path we are on though. Off the pitch seems like we are putting things in place- on it, increasing numbers of young players who can only grow but mixed with some experience too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
7 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

in the FA cup. cup games are all about winning. 

So if you don't win, there are no positives???

And if we'd have been totally bossed with Fulham having 85% possession but they had two goals wrongly disallowed and we got one off a Semenyo keeper charge down to steal that game, that would have been all that matters? 

For me, that's just not where we are currently and the big focus is to see an uptick in performance. Tough for even NP's biggest critic to argue that yesterday wasn't a significant upgrade.

Edited by the1stknowle
  • Like 2