IGNORED

Roughly 1 year ago...

ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

True. But it’s also true that we have been abysmal for a lot of this season, and the improvement has only been noticeable for a few weeks. A bit early to be celebrating turning the corner. Fingers crossed though!

I think the difference is that people are now able to see a gradual improvement in increments over time. Under Holden we felt like a sinking ship. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the difference is that people are now able to see a gradual improvement in increments over time. Under Holden we felt like a sinking ship. 

Well I hope so. Or you could  just describe our form as patchy and inconsistent - we may just be in a good patch just now, without any real trend. We’ll see.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Well I hope so. Or you could  just describe our form as patchy and inconsistent - we may just be in a good patch just now, without any real trend. We’ll see.

There's clearly an upward trend - we look far more organised and cohesive than we have for almost 2 years. We're not the finished article yet, but Pearson is working with what he's got. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

A bit harsh on Holden, considering he was given much less time than Pearson has had

The problem for Holden was that he didn’t have the reputation, experience or track record - and was far too closely associated with the ultimate failure of the Johnson reign - to ever warrant being given the same amount of time Pearson does.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem for Holden was that he didn’t have the reputation, experience or track record - and was far too closely associated with the ultimate failure of the Johnson reign - to ever warrant being given the same amount of time Pearson does.

Oh don't get me wrong, Holden was always the wrong appointment and one that the club should never have made. I just don't think it's fair to make out that Pearson's done a better job than Holden did, because Pearson has had longer to improve things, and even then we've only seen intermittent improvements

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh don't get me wrong, Holden was always the wrong appointment and one that the club should never have made. I just don't think it's fair to make out that Pearson's done a better job than Holden did, because Pearson has had longer to improve things, and even then we've only seen intermittent improvements

would DH have been able to sort out all the off field stuff too? i dont know

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

True. But it’s also true that we have been abysmal for a lot of this season, and the improvement has only been noticeable for a few weeks. A bit early to be celebrating turning the corner. Fingers crossed though!

I think maybe the biggest improvement has been in the past few weeks, but honestly I my opinion its been fairly incremental since the start of the season.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

would DH have been able to sort out all the off field stuff too? i dont know

My view is that we panic sacked Holden, he was unlucky.  But I think you are spot on, that we needed “a Nige” (experience) to guide us through this phase.  Ashton not being here is a big help to that too, the spiv.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that we panic sacked Holden, he was unlucky.  But I think you are spot on, that we needed “a Nige” (experience) to guide us through this phase.  Ashton not being here is a big help to that too, the spiv.

you too are spot on,someone who knows how it works and not someone whos ego thinks he can do  it better

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think maybe the biggest improvement has been in the past few weeks, but honestly I my opinion its been fairly incremental since the start of the season.

He stopped us getting worse.  Before you say we couldn’t get any worse, remember what happened when SOD took over after Mciness.  Having steadied the ship and got rid of Downing and Simpson we are now seeing steady improvement in the both our shape and patterns of play.  I’ve not got the stats, but I would expect for instance, our pass completion rate has improved, as has our ability to play out from the back. Big games at home against Cardiff, Reading, Birmingham, Posh and Hull are on the horizon.  If we take a minimum of 10 points from those 5 games, any remaining relegation worries will dissipate and we can look forward to continuing the rebuild in the summer.

2 hours ago, Malago said:

He stopped us getting worse.

Yep, that was the first improvement. He arrested the slide, plugged the holes, and stopped us getting relegated last season. We limped home, but we got there.

Then he hacked the squad apart, brought in what he could - effectively 3 of his guys, two re-signings, and two young guys to improve key positions. Then he started again.

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Having steadied the ship and got rid of Downing and Simpson we are now seeing steady improvement in the both our shape and patterns of play.

This is step 3, the last of the old guard departed, leaving us with a settled back room, presumably all singing from the same hymn sheet.

There's plenty more steps to take, and it may not be Pearson who takes them all with us.

Look, I don't that we've fully turned the corner as @Leveller suggested I might be implying. Honestly I think we needed to turn all the way around a roundabout rather than a corner. We've maybe got past the first exit right now.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

Pearson said as much today when the Radio Bristol interviewer talked of City having turned the corner and things are much better. Pearson said there will still be ups and downs, but we are starting to get the right people into the club and the right mix out on the park. He said it will take time though and we are not there yet. To be fair that has been a consistent message, time and transfer windows, no magic wand.

• Like 2

I think if you compare that performance to the Fulham one earlier in the season where the team put in an massive uncharacteristic effort to draw 1-1 it doesn't look like loads of progress but that game earlier in the season was a bright spot in a gloomy time whereas now we seem to be competitive regularly. Coventry and Sheffield United away are looking like semi distant low points now.

It is better and probably enough to be competitive in this league under normal times, I'm less fearful of dropping back to those low points now but also cautious that it could happen.

There's obviously been a lot that the squad have had to work through and I think Nige has eluded to an ever evolving set of challenges - hopefully they have knocked the big ones on the head.

• Like 1

It’s important to note that I’m sure there’ll be games in the next five where we’re not competitive. But the consistency is on the up. It won’t just click and all go into place at the same time, we’ll regress occasionally but we have to be patient - which sadly isn’t something we’re particularly good at on otib. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s important to note that I’m sure there’ll be games in the next five where we’re not competitive. But the consistency is on the up. It won’t just click and all go into place at the same time, we’ll regress occasionally but we have to be patient - which sadly isn’t something we’re particularly good at on otib. 

Not any of us have much patience on OTIB and in fact most of us get annoyed and frustrated. However the team played well against Fulham who are a top class team in this division. We also showed some commitment above and beyond where we were a few months back. I feel the tide is turning a bit and the team under Nige is starting to gell more and commit. We now have a team all though not where we would like it to be will hopefully see a mid table position at the end of this season.

I’m always fascinated by the swings in opinion that occur with different performances. I try to be a bit more balanced - hence the contrarian comments I’ve made above; ie don’t overreact to a couple of good performances, or a couple of bad ones.

There have been hundreds of comments on OTIB about how weak our squad is now, and how NP can’t be expected to improve results quickly when previous managers/CEO have left us with such awful players. I don’t really buy into that. How can such posters square their comments when they start to see improved performances? Do they think NP is now a miracle worker or do they change their minds about the quality of the squad?

Personally I’ve always thought we have a fair squad, capable of another mid table finish if they get their act together. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m always fascinated by the swings in opinion that occur with different performances. I try to be a bit more balanced - hence the contrarian comments I’ve made above; ie don’t overreact to a couple of good performances, or a couple of bad ones.

There have been hundreds of comments on OTIB about how weak our squad is now, and how NP can’t be expected to improve results quickly when previous managers/CEO have left us with such awful players. I don’t really buy into that. How can such posters square their comments when they start to see improved performances? Do they think NP is now a miracle worker or do they change their minds about the quality of the squad?

Personally I’ve always thought we have a fair squad, capable of another mid table finish if they get their act together. 

I saw improvement under NP earlier in the season as well. It is not just in the last 3 games. I thought we had a decent start to the season and we were 9th after we beat Peterborough in early Oct. King then got injured. James then got injured in early November so we were without both of them for a period. With our other youngsters in midfield, I think we need at least one of them available to help our consistency, especially without Williams. However, those youngsters will also improve with experience as will their consistency, which should in turn bring further improvement. We are seeing this now, plus James and King are also available again. Semenyo also being available has also brought improvement. But, as I say, I have seen improvement this season beyond the last few games. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Think most on here are very level headed, match day threads and a very few (not you for clarity!) who are hardwired  (or agenda driven) to never see positives, aside. A lot of the recent progress is due to players that we couldn’t plausibly see as being part of NP’s plans for this season in the Championship (eg Scott and Benarous). As others have said above, don’t think anyone’s suggested we’re sorted and Nige is King, more that, slowly but surely, the terrible performances/surrenders are fewer and better performances more frequent. We’ll still see poor performances, but the overall direction is improving. Mid table (including lower mid table) is success this season, so definitely nothing to get carried away with, but still positives to be seen. 

• Like 3

I’ve also seen a number of people on here harping back to our poor performance against Sheff Utd as evidence that NP isn’t improving us. You need to remember that our midfield three that day were Benarous, Bakinson and Massengo. (James, King and Williams weren’t available.) Plus Scott was RWB. They were up against internationals in Hourihane, Norwood etc. So I’m not surprised we struggled! As I said above, this season it is vital that one of our experienced heads in midfield is available.

Edited by eardun
  • Like 2

If nothing else I’ve actually enjoyed the last few games because at last we’ve been more competitive, shown more energy and purpose. No doubt there will be some more poor performances to follow, but fingers crossed we may just be starting to lay the foundations for a brighter outlook. I do think the fans and atmosphere has been much better these last few games because I think we’re beginning to understand the position the club is in.

Whether Nige is the man to see the transition out who knows. But I don’t think we should underestimate the job done if he manages to clear the decks of highly paid under performing players, bloods and develops young academy talent, changes the mentality of our players to be more hungry and accountable, and most importantly does this while keeping us in this division, laying the foundations for building the squad again - all with very little scope and money to do this quickly.

Let’s face the facts however painful. I and many others on here have loved BCFC from an early age (to a pretty old one in my case!).  Most of us know that once you have your club, you can’t just change it like that. Sadly BCFC have enjoyed a very mediocre history with very few high points, but like all football fans, we are prone to that hope that we will have success, even though we know that statistically that ambition doesn’t bode that well. However there is always that chance it works out and it makes the highs that much sweeter when they do happen. That’s what makes football what it is. 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1