IGNORED

Team for Fulham [A] ... thoughts?

headhunter

Max O'Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Dasilva HNM James Pring

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

That's our suggestion in the latest episode of the FBC Podcast : https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/a-cup-very-much-half-full-despite-3rd-round-exit/ [also on Spotify, Google & Apple]

We detect a general level of optimism about the direction City are heading in and that's despite going out of the cup and now losing 3 out of 4 successive home games.

What a performance from Pring and HNM yesterday but for us the introduction of JD as a RIGHT wing back for 50 minutes and his performance is why we include him in our line up which brings back that players that were rested yesterday.

Atkinson looked to have got some of his confidence back yesterday alongside the imperious Kalas and Scott showed why he's best suited to a midfield role once JD appeared.

It was a meh performance from Andy King and I can't believe why Callum O'Dowda was allowed to complete the 120 minutes - a horrendous miss and a few good touches apart very little end product. He's a waste of a shirt - in his 6th season with us and over 150 appearances he's scored 7 goals and only 2 in the last 50 or so games. Let him go!!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

As long as we stick to 3-5-2 (which is serving us well with the players available.)

Bentley

Vyner     Kalas     Pring

Scott             HNM     James            COD

Benerous

Weimann     Semenyo

Attacking team, Fulham will pick us off if we sit back.

Risk - Reward.

Edited by VT05763

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Max O'Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Dasilva HNM James Pring

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

That's our suggestion in the latest episode of the FBC Podcast : https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/a-cup-very-much-half-full-despite-3rd-round-exit/ [also on Spotify, Google & Apple]

We detect a general level of optimism about the direction City are heading in and that's despite going out of the cup and now losing 3 out of 4 successive home games.

What a performance from Pring and HNM yesterday but for us the introduction of JD as a RIGHT wing back for 50 minutes and his performance is why we include him in our line up which brings back that players that were rested yesterday.

Atkinson looked to have got some of his confidence back yesterday alongside the imperious Kalas and Scott showed why he's best suited to a midfield role once JD appeared.

It was a meh performance from Andy King and I can't believe why Callum O'Dowda was allowed to complete the 120 minutes - a horrendous miss and a few good touches apart very little end product. He's a waste of a shirt - in his 6th season with us and over 150 appearances he's scored 7 goals and only 2 in the last 50 or so games. Let him go!!!

I thought King was very good yesterday. Clearly leading on the pitch, which is important with all these kids playing.  

O’Leary

Kalas. Atkinson. Pring

Scott.   King.  James.    O’Dowda

Massengo

Semenyo.  Weimann 

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

Start First Half

O'Leary 

Kalas    Atkinson   Pring

Belarous  HNM   James  O'Dowda                         

Scott

Wells     Martin

Change at 60-80 minutes if no goals:

O'Leary 

Belarous  HNM   James O'Dowda                          

Scott                                             

Weimann    Semenyo

Keep blooding the 3 young boys, Bel, HNM and Scott as they will just get better and better for next season

in last 10 minutes change up or go more defensive with the options on the bench, all 4 can be used in  offensive roles Vyner, JD, Palmer, Conway

Edited by MattWSM

2 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Start First Half

O'Leary 

Scott

Wells     Martin

O'Leary 

Scott                                               Weimann    Semenyo

Keep blooding the 3 young boys, Bel, HNM and Scott as they will just get better and better for next season

in last 10 minutes change up or go more defensive with the options on the bench, all 4 can be used in  offensive roles Vyner, JD, Palmer, Conway

You would play Benarous wing back after the last time he played there and not start Weimann ?  Minority selection!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Why ?

Because he is a good player who is growing in confidence and more we can blood this young group now the stronger they will be next yr.

We are not going up and I don't think we will go down although we need 22 points to be absolutely sure, so they need to learn on the job.

If they have a shocker they will remember that feeling and learn, if they have a good game they will learn.

No brainer in my opinion, blood then now as this the future.

We can't afford to buy in plus we have a few in 30s Baker, Wells, Martin, Kalas and Weimann etc so we give this young group experience as often as possible and now.

Then see how they go next year and hopefully the finances will be in better shape as well

It's research and development time

Edited by MattWSM

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Max O'Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Dasilva HNM James Pring

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

? I love the doubling down on O’Dowda for what it’s worth I just think he’s the sort of player with all the physical attributes to cruise through academy football and make a modern coach sigh on admiration. Yet sadly he has such a low footballing IQ he can’t help but just get it wrong.

If we’re honest he hasn’t done very much in 6 years, as he?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Because he is a good player who is growing in confidence and more we can blood this young group now the stronger they will be next yr.

We are not going up and I don't think we will go down although we need 22 points to be absolutely sure, so they need to learn on the job.

If they have a shocker they will remember that feeling and learn, if they have a good game they will learn.

No brainer in my opinion, blood then now as this the future.

We can't afford to buy in plus we have a few in 30s Baker, Wells, Martin, Kalas and Weimann etc so we give this young group experience as often as possible and now.

Then see how they go next year and hopefully the finances will be in better shape as well

It's research and development time

Weimann has to start. Not including him would be odd and it won’t happen.  Benarous has had one bad game at left wing back so to shoe-horn him in at right wing back isn’t going to do him much good in my opinion.  You want research and development but wouldn’t play Semenyo, but would play Wells.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Weimann has to start. Not including him would be odd and it won’t happen.  Benarous has had one bad game at left wing back so to shoe-horn him in at right wing back isn’t going to do him much good in my opinion.  You want research and development but wouldn’t play Semenyo, but would play Wells.  

Yes agree also

Balance of youth and experience, is all I am saying here.

Key point for me, I like what I see with 3 boys HNM, Bel and Scott

Regarding Semenyo, I would switch Wells, Martin, Weimann, Semenyo in many of the remaining games, starting and coming on.

Nothing wrong with playing in unfamiliar and different positions when developing a team

Edit:

and use Conway and Britton and Towler.

Edited by MattWSM

I’d rather we played Scott (and Benarous) behind the front 2 (more natural position) rather than wing back, especially away at Fulham. With Tanner’s injury, I think the best option would be Vyner at RWB. Pring has been playing well and I think COD has done OK at LWB. I’d keep Atkinson in. I usually prefer Kalas in the middle but with two left footers in the back 3, I’d have him RCB.  I’d start with this: 

O’Leary

Kalas  Atkinson  Pring

Vyner  Massengo James  O’Dowda

Scott

Semenyo  Weimann 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i would like to see us bring a striker in before the Fulham game. lack of goals is costing us so much. a top striker and we would have won yesterday.  A cup run would have  been good for the coffers. i know money is tight. 

As others have previously mentioned, our goal scoring isn't our biggest issue, it's conceding too many goals. Needing to score 3 to win a game is never going to get us very far. Plus with the added fact we're never going to be able to sign a 'top striker' this window, certainly not one better than we already have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I thought King was very good yesterday. Clearly leading on the pitch, which is important with all these kids playing.  

O’Leary

Kalas. Atkinson. Pring

Massengo

Semenyo.  Weimann 

I agree, think King & James are a good midfield partnership, we seem to be in the minority though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Max O'Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Dasilva HNM James Pring

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

What is the thinking behind Dasilva at RWB….I guess I should listen to the podcast!  Smacks a bit of square pegs / round holes, doesn’t it?

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

O’Leary

Kalas. Atkinson. Pring

Massengo

Semenyo.  Weimann 

I don’t expect you’ll be a million miles away with that.  One could argue you’ve got our best 11 players (fit players) onto the pitch in a formation that we know each of them can play.

I really liked Kalas and Pring’s ability / mobility when made to mark wide yesterday.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is the thinking behind Dasilva at RWB….I guess I should listen to the podcast!  Smacks a bit of square pegs / round holes, doesn’t it?

I don’t expect you’ll be a million miles away with that.  One could argue you’ve got our best 11 players (fit players) onto the pitch in a formation that we know each of them can play.

I really liked Kalas and Pring’s ability / mobility when made to mark wide yesterday.

Agree Dave and Atkinson looked safer as the centre of the 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I understand that getting Scott into the middle is preferable, but playing a left footer as a RWB who hasn't had a game for months is just dropping him in it imo and asking for trouble. I'd go with the team selection from @And Its Smith if all are fit.

O’Leary

Kalas   Atkinson   Pring

Scott    King    James     O’Dowda

Massengo

Semenyo              Weimann 

• Flames 1

Max

Kalas Atkinson Pring

Scott King Massengo COD

Benarous

Semenyo Weimann

I feel like the pace of Kalas and Pring allowed us to be so aggressive winning the ball back. Atkinson battled well with Mitrovic. Won’t win everything but no alternatives and again feel like Kalas is better at covering. 

King and James is a preference thing. I like King and thought he was excellent yesterday. Either one is fine. Don’t think you can drop Massengo after his last couple games where he has been excellent. I can see playing all 3 but thought Benarous was excellent finding space, keeping hold of the ball and finding that killer pass. So I’d be brave and give him another go. 

Semenyo and Weimann pretty self explanatory I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

Max O'Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Dasilva HNM James Pring

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

I liked how we set up against QPR 433, 2 sitting midfield players, one more advanced attacking midfielder with a front 3 alternating up top and when wide the wide players keeping wide when they are out there. 

James and King sitting in Deep with Scott more advanced and pulling the strings. 

Semenyo, Weimann and O’Dowda up top, who have all looked back to their best, O’Dowda is much better in a forward position than out wide in a 352 and that has been proven when he’s in a more attacking role. 

in defence I would have Kalas and Atkinson CB with Vyner and Pring full backs.

O’Leary 

Vyner Kalas Atkinson Pring

James Scott king

Weimann Semenyo  O’Dowda 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redpole said:

I liked how we set up against QPR 433, 2 sitting midfield players, one more advanced attacking midfielder with a front 3 alternating up top and when wide the wide players keeping wide when they are out there. 

James and King sitting in Deep with Scott more advanced and pulling the strings. 

Semenyo, Weimann and O’Dowda up top, who have all looked back to their best, O’Dowda is much better in a forward position than out wide in a 352 and that has been proven when he’s in a more attacking role. 

in defence I would have Kalas and Atkinson CB with Vyner and Pring full backs.

O’Leary 

Vyner Kalas Atkinson Pring

James Scott king

Weimann Semenyo  O’Dowda 

Might change Massengo for King. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Dasilva on the right?

******* hell.

O’Dowda appears to be the new scapegoat for the OP now he’s realised just how ludicrous his anti-Weimann posts were getting.

Have to admit I couldn't get my head round DaSilva on the right. He's totalling left footed. Looked a bit awkward. But did ok. Wondered why he didn't use Vyner.

6 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Yes agree also

Balance of youth and experience, is all I am saying here.

Key point for me, I like what I see with 3 boys HNM, Bel and Scott

Regarding Semenyo, I would switch Wells, Martin, Weimann, Semenyo in many of the remaining games, starting and coming on.

Nothing wrong with playing in unfamiliar and different positions when developing a team

Edit:

and use Conway and Britton and Towler.

8 hours ago, MattWSM said:

Start First Half

O'Leary 

Scott

Wells     Martin

O'Leary 

Scott                                             

Weimann    Semenyo

Benarous, not Belarous. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They do seem to complement each other which is why he`s worth sticking with IMO.

Cod had a decent game yesterday.  Yeah, he missed a good chance (just leant back on it a tad), and put in the odd poor cross, but I’ve (almost, not quite ?) accepted his deficiencies and just take his performances for what they are.  I don’t think he’s gonna change.  He wouldn’t be the the first winger to frustrate us fans, but he generally puts in a shift and at LWB I feel that he’s more involved, whether that’s going one way or the other.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Even though Ian faded in and out a few times (not necessarily a bad thing!) I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. 

Apart from the above the audio was generally good, fair discussion and debate and I completely agree with the host on O’Dowda. He’s had an OK last few games despite being poor against Fulham but in the context of the last near six years it’s a really disappointing City career, and one for me that needs to come to an end when his contract is up in August/September. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cod had a decent game yesterday.  Yeah, he missed a good chance (just leant back on it a tad), and put in the odd poor cross, but I’ve (almost, not quite ?) accepted his deficiencies and just take his performances for what they are.  I don’t think he’s gonna change.  He wouldn’t be the the first winger to frustrate us fans, but he generally puts in a shift and at LWB I feel that he’s more involved, whether that’s going one way or the other.

Didn’t see the game so can’t comment (I know that sometimes doesn’t stop others), but I think he is approaching a crossroads in his career.

We are going to want to make every pound spent count in the summer & along with Martin (who I think will be released) they are the 2 high earners out of contract.

It could well come down to another Weimann or Baker situation where we offer him less than he’s currently on & so he decides to see what else is out there.

I know you are supposed to have strong views on a forum but I’m really not fussed about him either way.

Along with Kalas though he is the only other one in the ideal age range but I don’t expect that we will be looking to renew on existing terms, let alone increasing them.