IGNORED

Team for Fulham [A] ... thoughts?

headhunter

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Dasilva on the right?

******* hell.

O’Dowda appears to be the new scapegoat for the OP now he’s realised just how ludicrous his anti-Weimann posts were getting.

Were you physically at the game?  I thought Dasilva offered something different in an unfamiliar position. He showed good close control on a number of occasions and playing in what appeared primarily an offensive rather than defensive role is better suited to his ability. His lack of stature has, for me, seen him exposed far to often as a last line defender.

Regarding my criticism of Weimann - his actions speak louder than any of my words and in the Millwall pod I held my hands up and admitted I have been harsh.

As for O'Dowda, I'd like anyone to try and defend a record of 150+ games with only 2 goals in the last 50, 7 in total [4 in 2018/19].

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Were you physically at the game?  I thought Dasilva offered something different in an unfamiliar position. He showed good close control on a number of occasions and playing in what appeared primarily an offensive rather than defensive role is better suited to his ability. His lack of stature has, for me, seen him exposed far to often as a last line defender.

Regarding my criticism of Weimann - his actions speak louder than any of my words and in the Millwall pod I held my hands up and admitted I have been harsh.

As for O'Dowda, I'd like anyone to try and defend a record of 150+ games with only 2 goals in the last 50, 7 in total [4 in 2018/19].

With regard to COD, I would agree his input has been disappointing up till now and as an attacking player his goal/assist return is poor.

What I would say is that in his current position he gives us balance and a bit of security on the left, especially in tandem with Pring. That left side is looking very solid imo and its worth persisting with it. If only we had something similar on the right side.

15 minutes ago, headhunter said:

No I wasn’t (I said that above).

We just have better right footed options even in the absence of Tanner, so that’s Scott or Vyner, in my opinion. I think playing full back off your wrong foot in a league game (as opposed to a late sub appearance in the cup) is tough & very few do it successfully.

If we went with a Kalas, Atkinson, Pring back 3 I’d happily see Vyner there at Fulham with Scott then playing behind the front two, which means if Dasilva did feature, it would be on the left hand side, though I expect COD will start there myself.

O’Dowda’s scoring record is certainly poor (it’s 8 by the way, not 7 though) but 2 goals in his last 50 is also 2 in his last 18, so definitely improving..

I’m pretty agnostic about him myself, if we can find someone willing to come in that we think is better & at a salary we can afford I won’t be losing any sleep if he moves on this summer.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It could well come down to another Weimann or Baker situation where we offer him less than he’s currently on & so he decides to see what else is out there.

I know you are supposed to have strong views on a forum but I’m really not fussed about him either way.

Along with Kalas though he is the only other one in the ideal age range but I don’t expect that we will be looking to renew on existing terms, let alone increasing them.

Yep, imho there’s no way we exercise his current one year option at his existing wage level.  I don’t know what that wage level is but it would not surprise me if it was in the £12-15k p.w range.  We have to ignore the fact that others like Wells are on more, those contracts were signed historically, this is now and I would imagine we will be looking to reduce the wage offered to Callum.

It wouldn’t worry me particularly if he left in the summer either….as long as we can recruit a suitable replacement on less money….which I think is definitely doable.

Re Kalas and Massengo, there are real financial benefits to extending them, even if in Kalas’s case you still paid him a tidy weekly wage.  I’m quite happy if he’s our highest earner, he’s probably our best player (debate, discuss!).  If he’s on £25k p.w. And you extended him this window by another 2 years (expiry 3 1/2 years from now) you’d smooth his £3m amortisation out to c£850k p.a, reducing next years down from £2m.  It’s a bit robbing Peter to pay Paul, but a steady amortisation profile is better than one that’s up and down imho.  To replace someone of Kalas’s quality won’t be easy.  So it’s either sign him up between now and the summer or sell him.  Sane arguments with Massengo too.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No I wasn’t (I said that above).

We just have better right footed options even in the absence of Tanner, so that’s Scott or Vyner, in my opinion. I think playing full back off your wrong foot in a league game (as opposed to a late sub appearance in the cup) is tough & very few do it successfully.

If we went with a Kalas, Atkinson, Pring back 3 I’d happily see Vyner there at Fulham with Scott then playing behind the front two, which means if Dasilva did feature, it would be on the left hand side, though I expect COD will start there myself.

O’Dowda’s scoring record is certainly poor (it’s 8 by the way, not 7 though) but 2 goals in his last 50 is also 2 in his last 18, so definitely improving..

I’m pretty agnostic about him myself, if we can find someone willing to come in that we think is better & at a salary we can afford I won’t be losing any sleep if he moves on this summer.

I agree about O'Dowda - although I'll say his recent performances have made me reconsider when we need to improve on him... but not if (that's still a yes for me).

If we think about Pearson mentioning where we'll be in 2-3 years, then I'd be disappointed if he was in that squad which (we hope) will be challenging at the right and of the table.

However, previously I saw it as a position we needed to improve in the summer, as I wouldn't have been happy if we went into next season with him first choice for a position on the pitch. After this last month or so though I'm thinking if we held onto him for another year, and concentrated elsewhere it maybe wouldn't be a disaster. He's a pretty steady Championship player at this point, for us at least.

The fact he's been here for 5 years, played 30+ games for us in most of them, and people still are on the whole indifferent towards him is pretty telling though for me.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

CoDs scoring record is certainly poor (it’s 8 by the way, not 7 though) but 2 goals in his last 50 is also 2 in his last 18, so definitely improving..

Me too. 

I appreciate that CoD has a job to do on the left but he just doesn’t excite fans as some of the old wingers used to. Players like Walsh, Smudger, Murray. I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw him actually run at the full back and take him on.

Its a pity as one thing that really gets the faithful going is a wide player bombing up the wing

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw him actually run at the full back and take him on.

In fairness, since his return to the team there have been plenty of occasions, even Saturday, most certainly v QPR.  It’s that final ball.  I think he’s a bit like Dasilva, in that they try to hit “areas” rather than look to hit a player.  Sometimes flashing a ball across the 6 yard box is all you need, but more and more often, the pull-back to an onrushing player (Martin to COD on Saturday, Martin to Weimann v Barnsley) is the order of the day.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Me too. 

I appreciate that CoD has a job to do on the left but he just doesn’t excite fans as some of the old wingers used to. Players like Walsh, Smudger, Murray. I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw him actually run at the full back and take him on.

Its a pity as one thing that really gets the faithful going is a wide player bombing up the wing

In the last few games he has got past his full back and got a cross in about 10 times!

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

In the last few games he has got past his full back and got a cross in about 10 times!

Fact Check (few = 3 games):

it’s actually 19 crosses, only 5 hit a City player though.

Plus 18 dribbles of which 14 result in us keeping possession.

Just one shot though (the one on Saturday).

Decent contribution.

???

Edited by Davefevs

Think we should stick to 3-5-2.

We have been much better in every aspect since switching to that formation, suits the players we have.

I would however play some more defensively minded players in the wing back roles.

Bentley

Vyner     Kalas     Atkinson

HNM   ?                                                 Pring

King     James

Scott

Semenyo     Welimann

What do you want to see tomorrow?

Id like us to continue to play the football we have over the last few games and just hopefully look tighter at the back.

Im fairly convinced we’ll lose and will have to ignore the boring Pearson Out content if it appears.

• Like 2

Max

Kalas             Atkinson      Pring

Scott                                                                           COD

HNM       King        James 

Andi        Antione

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Think we should stick to 3-5-2.

We have been much better in every aspect since switching to that formation, suits the players we have.

I would however play some more defensively minded players in the wing back roles.

Bentley

Vyner     Kalas     Atkinson

HNM   ?                                                 Pring

King     James

Scott

Semenyo     Welimann

Dasilva at RB and HNM where king is… that’ll do me. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see either Scott or Benarous in that '10' role behind the strikers. 

I thought Benarous caused them real problems in the FA cup match last week. Kept them pegged back in their own half for most of the first half. 

We certainly need to match them up from an attacking perspective.

We cannot afford to sit back and invite pressure, instead we need to show confidence when attacking, as we did last week. 

I saw that Owura has returned from his loan at Exeter. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him feature at RWB at some point during the remainder of the season, if he isn't loaned out again. 

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Max

Kalas             Atkinson      Pring

Scott                                                                           COD

HNM       King        James 

Andi        Antione

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think it will be this;

O’Leary

Scott Vyner Kalas Pring O’Dowda 

James    Weimann  King

Semenyo  Martin

Almost right fellas ???

Seriously though, I think the option I might plump for is:

MO

TK / RA / CP

ASc / HNM / MJ / AK / CO

ASe / AW

Need quick, technical, mobile players to, at least, compete with Fulham. Not sure I’d have much faith in AK being able to help us on that score. But accept options are limited.

Ultimately I can’t really see it making much difference who plays where tomorrow. We might give them a game but they’ll find a way through sooner or later. Probably sooner. If we were 2-0 up with ten minutes left and drew, I’d still think that an excellent result.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Almost right fellas ???

Seriously though, I think the option I might plump for is:

MO

TK / RA / CP

ASc / HNM / MJ / AK / CO

ASe / AW

That’s what I’m expecting - although I can see Vyner replacing Atkinson.

In a bizarre way, although I feel we have been short in CM, the bodies we have and how we set up now mean we’re overstocked. I’d prefer Scott in that three, but for the team he’s better at RWB when we have Han-Noah, Matty and Andy available as opposed to dropping one of those and moving Vyner to RWB

• Like 1

As a 5-2-1-2 pretty sure the team will be:

O’Leary

Scott Vyner Kalas Pring O’Dowda

Massengo James

Benarous

Weimann Semenyo

or if he goes with 4-2-3-1

O’Leary

Vyner Kalas Atkinson Pring

Massengo James

Weimann Scott O’Dowda

Semenyo

I’d be content with either 

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s what I’m expecting - although I can see Vyner replacing Atkinson.

In a bizarre way, although I feel we have been short in CM, the bodies we have and how we set up now mean we’re overstocked. I’d prefer Scott in that three, but for the team he’s better at RWB when we have Han-Noah, Matty and Andy available as opposed to dropping one of those and moving Vyner to RWB

Agree.

I would much rather see Scott playing behind the front two, alongside James & King, but with Tanner injured & Simpson (a RB, not a RWB anyway) seemingly completely out of contention, then unless Vyner plays there, we have little choice.

Max

Scott      Vyner           Kalas.       Pring

King         James

Massengo 

Weiman.           Martin.         Seymenyo

I think he may go 4 at the back to accommodate  playing Scott and 3 Up top

I would prefer Wells to play instead of Martin so we are more quick to transition from defence (Fulham will have a lot of the ball).

Means Bench has Atkinson, Wells, COD and JD who could all have been in the starting line and don’t weaken the team to much if/when they are brought on.

Bench Also shows that our squad when all fit looks pretty good. Add Williams, Tanner and Baker (if fit), Bentley shows that we really only need to add 1 or 2 max in the window.