IGNORED

Conways Missed chances.

BCFC1512

4 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Not having a pop at the young lad. But with wells very unlikely to start Saturday it baffles me why he was taken of. I think if wells had them chances we’d of been at least 1-0 up.

Watching the TV coverage I am pretty sure I saw wells go down with cramp, the cameras cut away quickly (i think for a fulham sub) but we  had two players down briefly and i am fairly sure wells was one of them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I thought Conway looked promising, although he's obviously raw. He made a few good runs and had enough about him to get into goal scoring positions - good instincts for a striker. Unfortunately his composure let him down, which is about experience and confidence, which will come with games played. If we're going to produce our own young players they will have to start when inexperienced and we're going to have to accept their growing pains.

Also factor he’s been out injured for quite a while and had no 23’s games to get sharp so would have just been training or behind closed door games 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was all about giving him more minutes on the pitch, without those he won't improve. At least he was in the right place for those two chances and he has already scored for the first team, he's our future whereas Wells probably won't be around beyond next season (if that). We're not going to win anything this season so it's a good time to give these younger players some game time, so long as we don't get down into the relegation mix (I don't think we will).

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

It was all about giving him more minutes on the pitch, without those he won't improve. At least he was in the right place for those two chances and he has already scored for the first team, he's our future whereas Wells probably won't be around beyond next season (if that). We're not going to win anything this season so it's a good time to give these younger players some game time, so long as we don't get down into the relegation mix (I don't think we will).

Hear, hear. That's the first time I've seen Comway play, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get more minutes. If OP cares to look, of the two good chances Conway had, the goalie has a touch on the first as he was going past. The second chance probably should have been put away or at least aimed to the side of the keeper. I've seen worse misses from Wells, Martin, Weinman. In fact Martin 'missed' a chance when through yesterday when he hit at at the keeper. These things happen.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Think in time he maybe the reliable finisher we’ve missed (at least there’s a chance) - as mentioned above first minutes this season mean he was always likely to be rusty and neither chance was straightforward. Some of the chances that fell to more experienced players were far easier. He looked to have a bit of pace as well, looking forward to seeing him get more minutes. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Hear, hear. That's the first time I've seen Comway play, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get more minutes. If OP cares to look, of the two good chances Conway had, the goalie has a touch on the first as he was going past. The second chance probably should have been put away or at least aimed to the side of the keeper. I've seen worse misses from Wells, Martin, Weinman. In fact Martin 'missed' a chance when through yesterday when he hit at at the keeper. These things happen.

Just to correct myself, I have seen the highlights and I don't think the keeper touched the ball - it was just a heavy touch by Conway.

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Not having a pop at the young lad. But with wells very unlikely to start Saturday it baffles me why he was taken of. I think if wells had them chances we’d of been at least 1-0 up.

I think if O’Dowda hit the target at 0-0 the game would have changed in our favour

I keep seeing this. From the replay I saw at the game, the keeper got a strong hand to the first to take it wider. Second one was a half chance I think most would have struggles to score. I don’t remember how the ball got to him but he had to decelerate quite quickly with a defender on his back shoving him all while trying to pick a corner. 

Think most being harsh on him. The composure to round the keeper there is very good. He will learn however that top keepers are bigger and agile enough to tip those away if you aren’t careful. I felt it was very promising considering the time he has been out. If wages to ability was a factor in selection Conway would be miles ahead of Wells based on the performances of both yesterday. Wells was ok but he wasn’t aggressive enough in the final third. 

4 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

I think if O’Dowda hit the target at 0-0 the game would have changed in our favour

Yep. I like O’Dowda in this current team. Has to hit the target at minimum from there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Exactly.........O'Dowda's attempt at hitting, what was in essence an open goal, was woeful.  Not as bad as Lavery though?

Edited by maxjak

I think Conway has a bright future.

I blame the ground staff for that particular part of the pitch running really fast ??? the ball seems to skid across the surface after his touch, it didn’t seem an overly heavy touch, but the ball didn’t slow down..

Second chance was a snapshot under pressure.

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I'm not sure Wells would have got himself in that position to begin with for him to be able to miss/score 5he chance 

• Like 1

Thought Wells had a good game yesterday. IIRC he was subbed just as extra time started - slightly odd because we’d just had the break and he was still kitted up and on the pitch just to be subbed before ET started, so perhaps it was cramp.

As for Conway, 2 decent chances for him, but credit for the run and I do think the keeper got out well (and may even have got a hand to it). The second was more of a snap shot and again IIRC he was being pulled about by the defender. Good to see him getting in good positions and getting chances, so it’s a shame but I won’t be getting overly worked up about him not scoring. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Conway has a bright future.

I blame the ground staff for that particular part of the pitch running really fast ??? the ball seems to skid across the surface after his touch, it didn’t seem an overly heavy touch, but the ball didn’t slow down..

Second chance was a snapshot under pressure.

Harsh to blame the ground staff when rugby was played on it 15 hours earlier. 

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Probably because he’d played 90 minutes & was a muscle injury risk having not played much