IGNORED

AFCON

Lanterne Rouge

This tournament could get interesting.

AFCON rules are that if 11 of the squad are available, the game must be played. And it doesn’t matter if there are no goalkeepers in that 11. 

Already, teams are suffering from Covid related absences - Senegal had to leave six at home and a further three (including Fam) are now in isolation.

With the spread of Omicron it’s not unfeasible to see there being a lot of forfeits or very odd lineups!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This tournament could get interesting.

AFCON rules are that if 11 of the squad are available, the game must be played. And it doesn’t matter if there are no goalkeepers in that 11. 

Already, teams are suffering from Covid related absences - Senegal had to leave six at home and a further three (including Fam) are now in isolation.

With the spread of Omicron it’s not unfeasible to see there being a lot of forfeits or very odd lineups!

Christ. 11 players?!

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Already, teams are suffering from Covid related absences -

Guinea-Bissau were short of players but then found Alloa had a player who matches nationalities, so have called him up.

Fernandy Mendy (born 16 January 1994) is a professional footballer who plays as a defender for Scottish League One club Alloa Athletic. Born in Senegal, he represents Guinea-Bissau internationally. In his first game he is marking Liverpool's Mohamed Salah.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Frankie "rush of blood to the head" Fielding, wasn't it? On debut and, fatefully, against Wolfs.

Jojo Wollacott in goal tomorrow for Ghana, possibly.   

He`s first choice so every chance. It`ll be interesting if Steven Caulker gets a game for Sierra Leone on Tuesday too. I don`t suppose Famara will be available for Senegal tomorrow though if he`s isolating.

Nice to have a bit of BS3 involvement though albeit tenuous!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Being two years above JoJo at school I can’t wait to see him in goal in a major tournament and hopefully the World Cup this Winter. Great keeper, although I did put a few past him in the lower quad (playground) ?

He’s had a remarkable turnaround from being seemingly permanent 3rd choice with us, to finally finding a regular first choice spot in a league side, to a call up by Ghana.

Best of luck to him.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He`s first choice so every chance. It`ll be interesting if Steven Caulker gets a game for Sierra Leone on Tuesday too. I don`t suppose Famara will be available for Senegal tomorrow though if he`s isolating.

Nice to have a bit of BS3 involvement though albeit tenuous!

Third time lucky for an international career for Caulker. After his one England cap he's tried to get in the Scotland squad but was never selected.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1772233/ex-dundee-and-england-stopper-steven-caulker-wants-to-play-for-scotland-at-euro-2020/

Hopefully this isn't too ignorant of me, but sometimes I do struggle with the low level of diversity between the names of players in African teams.

For example Guinea (currently 1-0 up over Malawi) have a starting XI containing Keita (no not Naby) in goal, then Kané at RB, then Camara in defence, plus a second Camara in midfield, then Keïta (yes, Naby), and up front is Kanté (obviously not N'Golo). Then on the bench they have another Camara, a guy called Kourouma Kourouma, then Konaté, Kaba, Koné and another Kanté.

There are Cissé's, Keita's and Koné's in many other teams as well, Diallo and Dembele also come up multiple times. Senegal had a guy on the bench called 'Name'...I mean that one is just quite amusing.

I just...is it funny? I can't watch so maybe they have more varied names on their shirts, but it's tough to follow the live text reports. I have no idea of the naming system in Guinea, or whether there would be a reason for this. I also recognise that there could be a great diversity in these names if pronounced and spoken in the local language, and it may be my English perspective causing the issue. Maybe it's no different to the Welsh having 4 different guys called Jones or Williams...but when it stretches across multiple nations it's a tad confusing.

Not expecting any solution obviously, names are what they are. Just noting it really.

14 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

My best friend is Gambian and I have been there a few times and been to the national stadium it’s there first AfCON so come on the scorpions 

Was looking into them earlier, the lowest ranked club in the tournament, have never been to an AFCON before. They needed penalties to a beat a team ranked around 195th in the world to get through the first round of qualifying (to compare to Europe that's lower than Leichtenstein). Then in the next round they won their qualifying group.

For the tournament in general I have to back Senegal to win it (but I thought the same last time and they lost the final). Algeria and Ivory Coast also look strong but not sure they are as well balanced as Senegal. Heard that Cameroon have never lost a competitive game at home (don't quote me on that but if true that's some record) but they don't have the best of teams this time around it seems to me.

12 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I have so many friends in The Gambia who are so excited about AFCON just a massive achievement for the scorpions I am pretty sure Janeth the city striker is Gambian 

Janneh was born there yep. Suspect he qualifies to play for The Gambia - I know when he signed for City he held a Gambian passport rather than a UK one.

My sister had a trip there a few years ago and absolutely loved sailing up the river with some locals that she met through her friend. Said it was a wonderful country.

• Like 1