IGNORED

AFCON

Lanterne Rouge

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Janneh was born there yep. Suspect he qualifies to play for The Gambia - I know when he signed for City he held a Gambian passport rather than a UK one.

My sister had a trip there a few years ago and absolutely loved sailing up the river with some locals that she met through her friend. Said it was a wonderful country.

Absolutely  people are so friendly we built a house for his family to move from the village to the coast to be closer to the capital 

58 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Don’t miss Comoros v Gabon tonight. Will be the game of the tournament…..:

Not too bad a game. I hope Comoros do well, they`ve had a hell of a run to qualify and are the lowest ranked side in the tournament. Three islands in the Indian Ocean with less than a million population, half of them under 15 (thanks Wiki!).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not too bad a game. I hope Comoros do well, they`ve had a hell of a run to qualify and are the lowest ranked side in the tournament. Three islands in the Indian Ocean with less than a million population, half of them under 15 (thanks Wiki!).

Tidy side, nothing up front though. We would have a chance of keeping a clean sheet against them……

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

My best friend is Gambian and I have been there a few times and been to the national stadium it’s there first AfCON so come on the scorpions 

Many years ago on holiday meet up with a forest fan and we decided to watch a first division match at the  national  stadium. Had to pay around £ 1 to watch two matches. Both played at walking pace in 37o c for 80 minutes. Then both matches warmed up for the last 10 minutes both finished 1-0.

32 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Many years ago on holiday meet up with a forest fan and we decided to watch a first division match at the  national  stadium. Had to pay around £ 1 to watch two matches. Both played at walking pace in 37o c for 80 minutes. Then both matches warmed up for the last 10 minutes both finished 1-0.

I think 80 mins at 37 degrees is the cooking instructions for meringue. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Cape Verde also has a population under half a million. They beat Ethiopia, population over a hundred million, so I thought that was an upset. Turns out Cape Verde are the higher ranking team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don't want to digress too much, but, strictly speaking, there are, in fact, four islands, the fourth being Mayotte - the white band in the Comorian national flag 120px-Flag_of_the_Comoros.svg.png; and herein lies one of The Comoros' major problems.

The Comoros (all four of them) obtained independence from France in 1975, having been, together with neighbouring Madagascar, French Colonies since the late 19th Century, and political and religious infighting between the islands ensued.

Mayotte, which had always maintained stonger ties with France than the other three islands, was reluctant to be independent and, following a referendum in 2009, became a French Département (976) in 2011 - believe it or not, Mayotte is part of the European Union!

One of the underlying reasons Mayotte wanted to be 'French' was due to the economic and health benefits - and (relatively) uninhibited travel to mainland France!

Both Mayotte and The Comoros are impoverished and, as the above-mentioned benefits are not available to The Comoros, it is not surprising that their young and fit leave regularly (clandestinely and illegally) for Mayotte (they currently comprise just over 50% of the Mayotte population!), before making their way to France (Marseilles): it is estimated that 25% of the Comorian population (between 250,000 and 300,000) lives in Marseille (known familiarly as the fifth Comorian island) and the Parisian region, producing 25% of the Comorian GDP!   

One of the reasons there is such a disproportionately high number of under 15 year olds is that, as I mentioned above, young people of working age have fled, but also the rate of child birth is extremely high; quite frighteningly, it is reckoned that the average is 5 children per woman!  

Anyway, like you, I hope they do well, and you can guarantee that certain bars in Marseilles and Paris will be packed throughout the tournament!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Ref in the Tunisia-Mali game has had a shocker:

They then went and interrupted the Tunisia post-game press conference to try bring them back out to play three more minutes a while later! ... Tunisia told them to bugger off.

2 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Europe doesn’t show enough respect to a tournament where a ref blows up five minutes early, his fourth official thumps a protesting manager in the shoulder during an argument after the final missile and where none of the fans seem to support a club that’s even in Africa. Crazy stuff!

Fortunately, no missiles appear to have been thrown (the match wasn’t played at Ashton Gate ?), although there is some suggestion over here that the match might be awarded 3-0 to Mali, as Tunisia ‘walked off’.

I watched the Ivory Coast game last night, would have been a great game if Equatorial Guinea's finishing was better. Was 1-0 but could have easily been 3-2 or something. From watching highlights I think a few other teams have the same problem.

All teams have played a game each and Cameroon are out on their own with 2 goals scored. They should really score a few against Ethiopia later to bring the excitement levels up a little bit.