IGNORED

AFCON

Lanterne Rouge

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

All bar two of the Ethiopia squad play for Ethiopian sides, no big names at all. Fair play to them for getting qualified and very much giving Cameroon a game thus far.

What are you watching it on? I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: found it!

Edited by grifty

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

All bar two of the Ethiopia squad play for Ethiopian sides, no big names at all. Fair play to them for getting qualified and very much giving Cameroon a game thus far.

Yeh was just looking at their profiles myself.

They seem to have a lot of pace in the side. Gebremichael looks tricky.

Always find it interesting to watch the AFCON and note the many players (especially for the smaller nations) that play domestic football in Africa. I think it's very rare (if ever) these players come directly to England, but many who catch the eye will move over to Belgian, Swiss, Turkish clubs initially, and then, if they do well, move into the bigger leagues.

I wonder what young players we fleetingly see turn out for the likes of Mali, Burkina Faso et al. will end up being stellar pros in Europes big leagues in the next 5 years? It's kind of fun to make a prediction on who might make that leap

I am not sure how many are watching this tournament, but, if you are, you will have noticed the sparse crowds.

In his wisdom, the Cameroonian President has decreed that, as of Monday, schools will now close at 13H00 and businesses and offices (including the public sector) will close at 14H00, thus enabling the locals to brave the 35C heat and 70% humidity to get to the games.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure how many are watching this tournament, but, if you are, you will have noticed the sparse crowds.

In his wisdom, the Cameroonian President has decreed that, as of Monday, schools will now close at 13H00 and businesses and offices (including the public sector) will close at 14H00, thus enabling the locals to brave the 35C heat and 70% humidity to get to the games.

One of the commentators on one of the streams I was watching (can't remember which, but possibly SKY) said that they can only be 60% full (or 80% for Cameroon games) due to COVID restrictions.

A quick Google seems to confirm this too ?

1 hour ago, Loïs said:

One of the commentators on one of the streams I was watching (can't remember which, but possibly SKY) said that they can only be 60% full (or 80% for Cameroon games) due to COVID restrictions.

A quick Google seems to confirm this too ?

Some of the stadiums have been less than 10% full - nothing to do with COVID, but just a lack of interest, apathy.

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some of the stadiums have been less than 10% full - nothing to do with COVID, but just a lack of interest, apathy.

Cameroon is also in the grip of two violent insurgencies: one of English-speaking Cameroonians in the far-west and one a spillover from the Jihadist groups to the country's north.

Security is very heavy and quite oppressive around the stadiums. That will put a bit of a downer on attending for many fans.