IGNORED

AFCON

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Ghana out. That`s a huge shock (and JoJo comes back to Swindon @Shaun Taylor a lot earlier than expected). Well don Comoros!

Have ended up watching 2 of Ghana's games and Woolacott has looked very shakey in goal at times. Didn't look like he had a supportive dressing room from those games, some senior players clearly not happy with the way things are going in the tournament and getting moody, it's a very hard place to show character when you don't have many caps and play in the lower leagues. Still a great experience for him but a terrible moment for that country's football, it's not like they have great competition in gk position so he may even get another chance.

Enjoyed seeing Comoros get surely their best ever win and probably the most memorable afcon game I have seen. Apparently the tournament isn't actually being televised in Comoros but I'm sure people will take notice of a win against a much bigger nation.

Edited by Baba Yaga

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Ghana out. That`s a huge shock (and JoJo comes back to Swindon @Shaun Taylor a lot earlier than expected). Well don Comoros!

I didn't see any of the game and have only just found out the score so was surprised to see that they have been knocked out so it could be a bonus having him back in time for Saturday where he will no doubt get some abuse from the Stratton bank mob.

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Remember on page one of the thread when I said teams had to play as long as they had 11, even if no GK?

Well….

Afcon 2021: Comoros will play without a recognised goalkeeper for last-16 tie with Cameroon https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/60104273

Seems ridiculous they cant call up another keeper having 1 injured and lost the other 2 to covid.

Hope whoever fills in has a blinder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Apparently not, because they need a second negative test after 5 days. A fine win for bureaucracy

It would seem the rules are slightly more onerous.

But Caf rules state a player who tests positive for coronavirus must isolate for five days before taking another PCR test 48 hours before his side's next match.

But, as you say, a win for bureaucracy. 

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It would seem the rules are slightly more onerous.

But Caf rules state a player who tests positive for coronavirus must isolate for five days before taking another PCR test 48 hours before his side's next match.

But, as you say, a win for bureaucracy. 

If Comoros win, it would surely have to count as the greatest upset in any international competition. Ranked 82 places lower with no recognised goalkeeper and several players missing. Surely an impossible task?

Edited by LondonBristolian

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If Comoros win, it would surely have to count as the greatest upset in any international competition. Ranked 82 places lower with no recognised goalkeeper and several players missing. Surely an impossible task?

Definitely right behind Comoros tonight. Up the Coelacanths! ?? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I posted previously (page 2) about The Comoros, a small group of islands in the Indian Ocean, and how they have a quite sizeable presence in France - mainly Marseilles, but also in Paris.

For various (professional) reasons, I have had cause to meet with quite a few of them over the years and, on a few occasions, have frequented some of their local bars; unfortunately, not in one of the most salubrious areas of Paris.  

Whilst I have not been to the area recently, I am sure the bars and restaurants will be rocking this evening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Bit bony (not Wilfried!) I understand.

In other news, Gambia just went 1-0 up v Guinea

I think it is more because it is toxic - I can't really remember the details, but I do recall when I asked whether the fish after which their football team was named was a delicacy, I was met with looks of disgust and much disdainful 'rubbing of tummies' ☹️.

Should Gambia win, that would be another upset.

50 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I posted previously (page 2) about The Comoros, a small group of islands in the Indian Ocean, and how they have a quite sizeable presence in France - mainly Marseilles, but also in Paris.

For various (professional) reasons, I have had cause to meet with quite a few of them over the years and, on a few occasions, have frequented some of their local bars; unfortunately, not in one of the most salubrious areas of Paris.  

Whilst I have not been to the area recently, I am sure the bars and restaurants will be rocking this evening. 

To be honest my main attachment to Comoros is that, when I was a contestant on Pointless a few years back, Comoros and the Marshall Islands were the go-to answers I’d learned for any obscure geography question.*

*Geography did not come up.

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest my main attachment to Comoros is that, when I was a contestant on Pointless a few years back, Comoros and the Marshall Islands were the go-to answers I’d learned for any obscure geography question.*

*Geography did not come up.

So you would have learned about Mayotte, then, the fourth island - my main introduction to The Comoros.

How did you get on, on Pointless?