IGNORED

AFCON

Lanterne Rouge

45 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think it is more because it is toxic - I can't really remember the details, but I do recall when I asked whether the fish after which their football team was named was a delicacy, I was met with looks of disgust and much disdainful 'rubbing of tummies' ☹️.

Should Gambia win, that would be another upset.

And they did.

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So you would have learned about Mayotte, then, the fourth island - my main introduction to The Comoros.

How did you get on, on Pointless?

I got lucky! I got to the final and the question was Footballers of the Year since 1970 (this was ten years ago when there was only one question in the final rather than the three you get now). My then-flatmate and I won the jackpot with Gordon Strachan…

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I got lucky! I got to the final and the question was Footballers of the Year since 1970 (this was ten years ago when there was only one question in the final rather than the three you get now). My then-flatmate and I won the jackpot with Gordon Strachan…

I must be honest; I really don’t know the programme.

When I came back to the UK many years ago (I have been back since), I recall my already aged mother watching an episode, but she wasn’t really able to explain to me the point (no pun intended) of the game - I imagine the title has a lot to do with it.

19 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I must be honest; I really don’t know the programme.

When I came back to the UK many years ago (I have been back since), I recall my already aged mother watching an episode, but she wasn’t really able to explain to me the point (no pun intended) of the game - I imagine the title has a lot to do with it.

It is basically Family Fortunes in reverse. Before the show 100 people are given 100 seconds to answer a question (e.g name as many countries in Africa as you can) and contestants on the show have to try and give an answer none of the 100 people came up with…

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Super said:

6 fans dead after a stampede.

Horrible news 

At least six people have died in a stampede outside a stadium hosting an African Cup of Nations soccer game in Cameroon, an official said Monday.

Naseri Paul Biya, governor of the central region of Cameroon, said there could be more casualties.

The stampede happened as crowds struggled to get access to Olembe Stadium in the Cameroon capital of Yaounde to watch the host country play Comoros in a last 16 knockout game in Africa’s top soccer tournament.

Officials at the nearby Messassi hospital said they had received at least 40 injured people from the stampede.

“Some of the injured are in desperate condition,” said Olinga Prudence, a nurse. “We will have to evacuate them to a specialized hospital.”

Soccer officials said around 50,000 people had tried to attend the match. The stadium has a capacity of 60,000 but it was not meant to be more than 80% full for the game due to restrictions on the size of the crowd because of the coronavirus pandemic.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Reports coming through that there has been a military coup in Burkina Faso.

I wonder how that will affect their team's morale.

Looking at their history seems like they have had a few of these over the years so I would expect them to be relatively calm at this stage (might be completely wrong). From a selfish point of view it would be good to see Bertrand Traore really fired up for their next game, looked quality when Villa beat us in the league cup last season.

• Admin

Viewers can watch hosts Cameroon take on The Gambia on Saturday, 29 January on BBC Two, with kick-off at 16:00 GMT.

On Sunday 30 January, the clash between Sadio Mane's Senegal and Equatorial Guinea (19:00) will be on the same channel.

The matches will also be shown on the BBC Sport website and iPlayer.

The other two quarter-finals see Burkina Faso take on Tunisia at 19:00 on Saturday and Egypt face Morocco the day after at 19:00.

Both semi-finals and the final will be broadcast live on BBC Three.