IGNORED

lets stop playing out from the back,and play hoof ball instead.

Never to the dark side

The performances in the the last four games(one win and three defeats) have been better.

As a fan I  ain't in the entertainment business when going to watch my team,I am there to watch them beat the opposition

If I want to be entertainment.I'll go and my favourite music band.

If we play hoof ball from our keeper,the ball is then half way up the pitch.

Its then a fifty fifty chance of the ball going towards the oppositions goal

Hoof ball every time over entertainment any day.

See all you hoardes at Fulham on Saturday

• Haha 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

The performances in the the last four games(one win and three defeats) have been better.

As a fan I  ain't in the entertainment business when going to watch my team,I am there to watch them beat the opposition

What absolute rubbish. Our performances have improved by playing through the midfield and we have created far more chances.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I don’t think anyone should be taking lessons in entertainment from someone who enjoys counting passenger coming off trains at Parsons Street. 

So much wrong in your post it’s making my head hurt. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can't agree at all. There's nothing worse for me than seeing a defender aimlessly punt the ball up the pitch, with us inevitably losing possession and them coming back at us. 

It's dull, it's boring and frankly quite painful to watch. It's not playing football. These guys are paid megabucks to PLAY football. Not hoof it up the pitch whenever we have the ball. It is an entertainment business, if the football is dire, win lose or draw, I'm not impressed. 

• Like 1

The key thing is to know when to play it short and when to play it long.  I get very frustrated (at all levels) when I see teams slavishly playing out from the back, or equally consistently playing it long.  There is a good case for playing long balls when you are being pressed by opponents, or (particularly at grassroots level) when you are playing on a boggy uneven pitch.  The key is to train and encourage players to have the intelligence to decide when it is right to go short or to go long.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This of course pre supposes that if we had kicked it long v Huddersfield & QPR, (in my book we drew with Fulham, as it was 0-0 at 90 minutes) we would have got better results.

There is absolutely no guarantee that would have happened & a lot of us wouldn’t be seeing the progress we believe is happening if we had.

Nonsense post.

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I don’t think anyone should be taking lessons in entertainment from someone who enjoys counting passenger coming off trains at Parsons Street. 

So much wrong in your post it’s making my head hurt. 

43 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

This was a brave post NTTDS 

I think NTTDS is on a wind up………….:cool2:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Put the top back on the bottle John. There's a good chap.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The key thing is to know when to play it short and when to play it long.  I get very frustrated (at all levels) when I see teams slavishly playing out from the back, or equally consistently playing it long.  There is a good case for playing long balls when you are being pressed by opponents, or (particularly at grassroots level) when you are playing on a boggy uneven pitch.  The key is to train and encourage players to have the intelligence to decide when it is right to go short or to go long.

Exactly. Football isn't a one dimensional game. I've seen Man City score goals where Ederson has picked a 70 yard pass out...... who can say that is wrong. However this 50/50 nonsense spouted in the original post is way off the mark. That is why we have been better in the last 3-4 games.....because we have mixed our play up a bit rather than playing the predictable longer ball game that the original poster seems so keen to reintroduce. I'm guessing it's down to both the Manager and players having the confidence to mix it up now together with O'Leary coming in and playing a risker possession game than Bentley does. Also agree that sideways and backwards for 57 passes in your own half is no better than just lumping it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

If I want to be entertainment. I'll go and my favourite music band.

Grand Funk Railroad or perhaps Manhattan Transfer 

Strictly speaking Manhattan Transfer was not a train. However it was a railroad facility. Between 1910 and sometime in the 1930’s, Manhattan Transfer was where Pennsylvania Railroad passenger and mail trains switched from steam to electric power for the run under the Hudson River into Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. There was and may still be a jazz vocal group called Manhattan Transfer. After the 1930’s the line was electrified all the way from New York City to Washington DC (and Harrisburg PA for westbound trains) and Manhattan Transfer was no longer needed.

• Like 1

Hoofball is generally a disaster because you lose the ball so often and it doesn’t take long for it to come back at you. Long balls are only good if you’ve got a brilliant quarterback passer, or the opposition are playing a high line and you want to counter attack behind them. Hoofing it to a big target man to try and get second balls rarely works. And we haven’t got one anyway!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Strictly speaking Manhattan Transfer was not a train. However it was a railroad facility. Between 1910 and sometime in the 1930’s, Manhattan Transfer was where Pennsylvania Railroad passenger and mail trains switched from steam to electric power for the run under the Hudson River into Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. There was and may still be a jazz vocal group called Manhattan Transfer. After the 1930’s the line was electrified all the way from New York City to Washington DC (and Harrisburg PA for westbound trains) and Manhattan Transfer was no longer needed.

You’ve managed to bring railways into a @Never to the dark side post by linking it to bands. (Well done) Something more appropriate might have been The Alan Parsons Project or Gram Parsons. Even better would have been Parson Street Blues by Mattbowe

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Imagine thinking so much of yourself that you demand the club plays the football you desire.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Choose life!

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

No team should have a set way of playing,

It needs to be fluid in order to suit the conditions and situation,

There are time when lumping is needed and there are times when calm passing and possession retention is needed

Of course there are times when it’s necessary to lump it particularly if your goal is under threat but adopting ‘hoof ball’ as a style ala the old Wimbledon isn’t a style that’s successful as well being dreadful to watch.

Personally I absolutely hate it.

• Like 1

Over the last few years (mostly players under Johnson ironically) we could have had a great hoof-ball 11.

4-4-2 (Obviously)

Maenpaa - 6ft 3

Wright 6ft - Flint 6ft 5 - Baker 6ft 2 - Magnússon 6 ft 3 + Long throw bonus for long ball kudos

Brownhill 5ft 11 - Pack 6ft 2 - Jens Hegeler 6ft 4 - O'dowda 6ft

Djuric 6ft 6 - Abraham - 6ft 3

Now admittedly all those players weren't together at the same time, and they would have probably played like shit (Hegeler - Pack midfield 2 anyone?) but still, set piece threat!

• Like 1