IGNORED

Gert Meyer 1979

Roadrunner

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

th?id=OIP.6k5qASm7ZivlezjMNggfUwHaKO&pid=Api&P=0&w=131&h=181Anyone remember why Gert only stayed with us in 1979. Before returning to the Netherlands to play  for Sparta Rotterdam, who he went on to manager. He also  managed Feyenoord

From memory , apart from  his debut ,he was poor and just lost his way here. 
Another big disappointment for the club.

15 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Sorry to hyjack the thread, but I remember a finish international joining at roughly the same time - Perti Jantunan. He didn't stay long either.

And shortly after Jan Möller, who I believe played for Sweden.  He was a giant of a keeper from what I recall. 

37 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

th?id=OIP.6k5qASm7ZivlezjMNggfUwHaKO&pid=Api&P=0&w=131&h=181Anyone remember why Gert only stayed with us in 1979. Before returning to the Netherlands to play  for Sparta Rotterdam, who he went on to manager. He also  managed Feyenoord

He didn’t really fit into our pattern of play, he had a couple of very good home games but appeared a bit of a passenger away from home so went back to the Netherlands pretty sharpish.

If my memory serves me right;

Gert Meyer: Played well but was home sick.

Pertti Jantunen: Held his own but was probably a little too lightweight for the rigours of top flight English football.

Jan Moller: Was probably one of the best goal keepers we ever had. He was a victim of the financial implosion we suffered after getting relegated from the top division at the time. 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Swede said:

If my memory serves me right;

Gert Meyer: Played well but was home sick.

Pertti Jantunen: Held his own but was probably a little too lightweight for the rigours of top flight English football.

Jan Moller: Was probably one of the best goal keepers we ever had. He was a victim of the financial implosion we suffered after getting relegated from the top division at the time. 

Was promised a Rolls Royce if he kept clean sheets.  Hold my beer Julian Marshall - Cambridge (h) - great diving header own goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Scored on his debut, 30 yard screamer, in the enclosure he was known as Jack Chutney !:laughcont:

As in 'ferret' Slarti? In the Open End on debut I had heard him called 'Bellend' as in profile and sporting that Joanna Lumley 'Purdey' haircut he came with, he looked like a giant phallus.

Unless memory fails I think the reason he didn't last long is it later transpired he wasn't so much a professional footballer, rather a fireman who turned out at amateur level.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Corrrr that kit is beautiful !!

I saw him play at home v WBA and we won 1:0. WBA were top at that point I seem to remember. A long time ago but I recall he played well that night and there were 30k in attendance (may have that wrong as it was so long ago).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Corrrr that kit is beautiful !!

I saw him play at home v WBA and we won 1:0. WBA were top at that point I seem to remember. A long time ago but I recall he played well that night and there were 30k in attendance (may have that wrong as it was so long ago).

Yes, we virtually stopped WBA winning the title that night (the Thrre Degrees and all) !

I'm sure Meyers debut was against Brum, a fading memory recalls an impressive showing with a couple of efforts from distance that shaved the crossbar (although I could be wrong). I remember being really excited at what might be around the corner - but what did an excitable 12 year old know? ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BS3City said:

I'm sure Meyers debut was against Brum, a fading memory recalls an impressive showing with a couple of efforts from distance that shaved the crossbar (although I could be wrong). I remember being really excited at what might be around the corner - but what did an excitable 12 year old know? ?

Yes his goal (at the Park End) was brilliantly taken from a very acute angle, I remember his quote at the time........... "I didn't know I score until I hear ze public cheer" !:yes:

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, we virtually stopped WBA winning the title that night (the Thrre Degrees and all) !

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

Absolutely! 

The Three Degrees were brilliant players. Wouldn't be able to call them that these days though. 

What a trio.

Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson, the first two now deceased.

You are probably right that we wouldn't be able to use that description today, which is a great shame as, to the best of my memory, it wasn't said with any malice (certainly not on my part), rather that they were just three great (black) footballers. 

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

As in 'ferret' Slarti? In the Open End on debut I had heard him called 'Bellend' as in profile and sporting that Joanna Lumley 'Purdey' haircut he came with, he looked like a giant phallus.

Unless memory fails I think the reason he didn't last long is it later transpired he wasn't so much a professional footballer, rather a fireman who turned out at amateur level.

We signed him from Malaga.  I don't know if he'd started off as an amateur in Finland, but he was definitely a full professional there. Played for a couple of Swedish first division clubs after us. 

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We signed him from Malaga.  I don't know if he'd started off as an amateur in Finland, but he was definitely a full professional there. Played for a couple of Swedish first division clubs after us. 

Afterwards he may well have played in the Swedish top flight  ( Vasteras rings a bell) but we bought him from an unknown lower tier bunch of part-timers near Stockholm (can't recall their name.) I'm 99% sure, as in Finland, he was a full-time fireman there. Despite his dream start he was so far out of his depth he went from Div 1 to fighting fires back in his hometown.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes his goal (at the Park End) was brilliantly taken from a very acute angle, I remember his quote at the time........... "I didn't know I score until I hear ze public cheer" !:yes:

I was literally right in line with him stood in the enclosure that day how he scored from that angle I will never know great way to introduce yourself to the crowd.