IGNORED

Gert Meyer 1979

Roadrunner

Got to be a Bristol City "foreign" 11 next then. (Am I allowed to say foreign without upsetting anyone?) Not counting the home countries either

Help me fill in the missing players

1) Jan Moller (Sieb Dykstra)                      2) Adam Nagy

3) Jim Brennan

4) Evander Sno

5) Hörður Magnússon 

6) Ivan Testimitanu

7) Luke Wiltshire

? Dariuz Dziekanowski 

9) Ade Akinbiyi

10) Nick Carle

11) Soren Andersen 

• Hmmm 1

Not read through this topic completely, so I'm opening myself up for a whoosh here. As well as Gert Meyer and Pertti Jantunen, we also signed another player from the continent at that time, I can never remember his name. Unlike Pertti, he had a full head of dark hair and was from an Eastern European country. Can't find him on the list of players, so maybe just on loan/trial.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Got to be a Bristol City "foreign" 11 next then. (Am I allowed to say foreign without upsetting anyone?) Not counting the home countries either

3) Jim Brennan

4) Evander Sno

5) Hörður Magnússon 

6) Ivan Testimitanu

7) Luke Wiltshire

? Dariuz Dziekanowski 

9) Ade Akinbiyi

10) Nick Carle

11) Soren Andersen 

5 Mark Shail.

(Born in Sweden). IGMC

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Not read through this topic completely, so I'm opening myself up for a whoosh here. As well as Gert Meyer and Pertti Jantunen, we also signed another player from the continent at that time, I can never remember his name. Unlike Pertti, he had a full head of dark hair and was from an Eastern European country. Can't find him on the list of players, so maybe just on loan/trial.

From recollection we were interested in a Yugoslavian (as was). Much press coverage because he was continental but never signed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Afterwards he may well have played in the Swedish top flight  ( Vasteras rings a bell) but we bought him from an unknown lower tier bunch of part-timers near Stockholm (can't recall their name.) I'm 99% sure, as in Finland, he was a full-time fireman there. Despite his dream start he was so far out of his depth he went from Div 1 to fighting fires back in his hometown.

I think your memory may be at fault there.  He was playing in Sweden before we bought him, but had been a professional in Spain as well. You are correct that he had been in firefighter when he started off in Finland.

My recollection was he was a decent ball-player but, as you say, too lightweight for the English First Division and we released him from his contract by mutual consent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertti_Jantunen

11 hours ago, Swede said:

3) Jim Brennan

4) Evander Sno

5) Hörður Magnússon 

6) Ivan Testimitanu

7) Luke Wiltshire

? Dariuz Dziekanowski 

9) Ade Akinbiyi

10) Nick Carle

11) Soren Andersen 

Akinbiyi was born and grew up in London, so substitute Alvaro Saborio (Costa Rico) for him. 

17 hours ago, BS3City said:

I'm sure Meyers debut was against Brum, a fading memory recalls an impressive showing with a couple of efforts from distance that shaved the crossbar (although I could be wrong). I remember being really excited at what might be around the corner - but what did an excitable 12 year old know? ?

I think his debut was against Birmingham. And he scored in the first minute or so at the Open End. He was in the box on the left and squeezed the ball in, possibly off the post.
(He definitely scored in the first minute against Brum at home.)

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What a trio.

Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson, the first two now deceased.

You are probably right that we wouldn't be able to use that description today, which is a great shame as, to the best of my memory, it wasn't said with any malice (certainly not on my part), rather that they were just three great (black) footballers. 

God no. Definitely no malice at all. Three Degrees were a great act and the three footballers were a great trio. Cyril and Laurie in particular were brilliant.

12 hours ago, Rich said:

11 hours ago, hollydog said:

From recollection we were interested in a Yugoslavian (as was). Much press coverage because he was continental but never signed. 

9 hours ago, icamanicity said:

Didn`t we have a Slobodan Antic either on trial or a loan

Yes, his name was Slobadan Antic from a side called, iirc, Radnicki Nis. A friendly was hastily arranged with Plymouth at Home Park as a trial for him. By all accounts he played well in a 3-1? Win. But nothing came of it. He went back to Yugoslavia. He would have been our first foreign signing (Eisenstrager excluded), which accounts for my good memory of it as it seemed so exciting back then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think your memory may be at fault there.  He was playing in Sweden before we bought him, but had been a professional in Spain as well. You are correct that he had been in firefighter when he started off in Finland.

My recollection was he was a decent ball-player but, as you say, too lightweight for the English First Division and we released him from his contract by mutual consent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertti_Jantunen

Looked up my old programmes.

Pertti came initially on a pre-season loan from IFK Eskilstuna (the team I couldn't recall,)  where he'd been playing for 18 months since he got cut from Malaga. Eskilstuna were playing in the northern half of the regional 2nd Tier of Swedish football, which was a mixture of some pros playing alongside part-timers (doesn't say which Pertti was.)  Many Pro contracts were seasonal given the way in which leagues were suspended or varied according to the prevailing weather. City played them in a pre-season friendly when on their Swedish tour, which I believe was in the middle of their season.

I'd forgotten that although he scored on his League debut for City he actually made his first appearance at Frankie Prince's testimonial (for good reason I didn't attend,) but he also figured in the Moscow Dynamo game which I was at though all memory erased owing to what happened to (my hero) Collier that night.

Amazingly, when he signed after the trial we paid £50k for him. No wonder we went bust.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I always used to like Greg Goodridge (Barbados), we also had another keeper during the Benny year, Bo Anderson who was a Danish U23 international at the time, I believe he got injured which limited his appearances and let in Steve Phillips for his debut

I remember there being high hopes for Bo Anderson, but from what I recall he was a disappointment. He was quite short for a keeper too. Whether it was his injury, or our poor defence, but he never looked comfortable. 

7 hours ago, supercidered said:

God no. Definitely no malice at all. Three Degrees were a great act and the three footballers were a great trio. Cyril and Laurie in particular were brilliant.

I`m sure I saw an article recently about Laurie Cunningham where the Three Degrees was referenced in an admiring way. As you say. absolutely no malice, just admiration for three superbly talented players who had an awful lot of abuse thrown their way and dealt with it with dignity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Yes, his name was Slobadan Antic from a side called, iirc, Radnicki Nis. A friendly was hastily arranged with Plymouth at Home Park as a trial for him. By all accounts he played well in a 3-1? Win. But nothing came of it. He went back to Yugoslavia. He would have been our first foreign signing (Eisenstrager excluded), which accounts for my good memory of it as it seemed so exciting back then.

That's the fella, have memories of him playing down there but never saw him. He was pictured in the post.

• Like 1