IGNORED

Signed Norman Hunter boot

phantom

I’m always slightly dubious about sports memorabilia and autographs as there is so much fraud.

I notice it says he signed it, but doesn’t claim he ever wore it.

It also says it’s Puma, while it appears to be Adidas design?

Edited by Leveller

15 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’m always slightly dubious about sports memorabilia and autographs as there is so much fraud.

As for fraud - you need to have a COA from a reputable company, or stay well away imo. Plenty of sports memorabilia is signed but have never been worn by the sportsperson themselves, as long as the advert isn't claiming such then that is how it is. I bet Beckham has signed thousands of boots, you cannot expect him to have worn them all, but you will also have actual match worn stuff which will fetch a premium, and then next level stuff where they have been worn in a final etc. In theory most of it is just an autograph, but on something that is related to the sport/person themselves.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheReds said:

As for fraud - you need to have a COA from a reputable company, or stay well away imo. Plenty of sports memorabilia is signed but have never been worn by the sportsperson themselves, as long as the advert isn't claiming such then that is how it is. I bet Beckham has signed thousands of boots, you cannot expect him to have worn them all, but you will also have actual match worn stuff which will fetch a premium, and then next level stuff where they have been worn in a final etc. In theory most of it is just an autograph, but on something that is related to the sport/person themselves.

I went, for interest, to a sports memorabilia auction that was being held on a cruise ship I was on one afternoon.

Whilst it was all authentic as regards the signatories it consisted of objects like a pile of Pele prints which he had sat down and signed presumably hundreds on one afternoon the month before.

I don't see how any of it had any actual value as it wasn't sports memorabilia as I envisage it; bit if you just wanted something to hang on the wall it worked for that.

I was surprised how much was sold and what prices people were paying; though it was on a cruise ship so people presumably had money to burn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I went, for interest, to a sports memorabilia auction that was being held on a cruise ship I was on one afternoon.

Whilst it was all authentic as regards the signatories it consisted of objects like a pile of Pele prints which he had sat down and signed presumably hundreds on one afternoon the month before.

I don't see how any of it had any actual value as it wasn't sports memorabilia as I envisage it; bit if you just wanted something to hang on the wall it worked for that.

I was surprised how much was sold and what prices people were paying; though it was on a cruise ship so people presumably had money to burn.

Plenty will get drawn in as it is someone 'famous', it will always be worth something but in the majority of cases they generally won't go up much in value due to the amount there are. One offs, match worn etc would generally be a good investment, but depending on who it is and what the occasion was (and go up when they pass away generally). Many auctions will have people with the FOMO, and also people who love the "look at me" attitude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

Plenty will get drawn in as it is someone 'famous', it will always be worth something but in the majority of cases they generally won't go up much in value due to the amount there are. One offs, match worn etc would generally be a good investment, but depending on who it is and what the occasion was (and go up when they pass away generally). Many auctions will have people with the FOMO, and also people who love the "look at me" attitude. 

I'm tempted by getting some half decent City memorabilia to hang on the wall or put the mantlepiece; not necessarily valuable just genuinely to do with the club in an era when I was watching it and which can be displayed.

19 hours ago, Leveller said:

If there’s  opposition player’s blood  present on the boot then it’s genuine.

• Haha 1