Jump to content
IGNORED

6 years since we gave Cotts the Bullet


Recommended Posts

On the day of OTIBs 25th Anniversary (congratulations) there is another Anniversary on the same day and that is 6 years since we sacked Steve Cotterill. 

I had a Facebook memory and I went on something of a rant about it. I was pretty upset about the decision. 

I am well aware this debate has been done to ad nauseam (insert Alan Partidge Latin joke) but thinking about it today I cannot see how we have progressed since that day.

Worse team, no money, poor football, bottom end of the division. IMO the platform given from that great team was completely wasted.

I'm not saying he was the one, but I look back at that time as a supporter with immense fondness that has not been replicated (bar Man U/Man C) since. 

Thanks Steve 👍🏻

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

On the day of OTIBs 25th Anniversary (congratulations) there is another Anniversary on the same day and that is 6 years since we sacked Steve Cotterill. 

I had a Facebook memory and I went on something of a rant about it. I was pretty upset about the decision. 

I am well aware this debate has been done to ad nauseam (insert Alan Partidge Latin joke) but thinking about it today I cannot see how we have progressed since that day.

Worse team, no money, poor football, bottom end of the division. IMO the platform given from that great team was completely wasted.

I'm not saying he was the one, but I look back at that time as a supporter with immense fondness that has not been replicated (bar Man U/Man C) since. 

Thanks Steve 👍🏻

In the 6 years since Cotts was removed, how many season have we finished higher than he ever finished a season with us?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cotterill debate has been done to death BUT we will always wonder what would have happened if he had been given the support to strengthen the team as LJ was subsequently given over the next 3 to 4 years.

Following promotion to The Champ we were in a strong position and Cotts deserved backing at that point.

I am a huge Cotts fan and that promotion season will stay with me forever. It was a real shame how it all ended.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of 3 big moments when the direction of the club stalled - instead of progressing - IMO.

1. Not turning up for the Brighton P/O final.

2. Not strengthening in the January window during the Gary Johnson P/O final season.

3. Being too quick to fire Cotts, basically because MA had convinced SL that he was the answer. Cotts didn't help himself after the summer transfer window problems.....but if no MA in the background then Cotts gets more time (like LJ and Nige who have both enjoyed SL's support in hard times) and money  IMV. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You were intimating that SC should never have been sacked but as posted earlier the Championship has evolved since his time.

I think you’re possibly the only poster on here that has never given SC any credit after leaving us. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I think you’re possibly the only poster on here that has never given SC any credit after leaving us. 

SC didn’t ‘wow’ me as Danny Wilson had. My recollection of his tenure is that he got us out of L1.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

We've progressed and regressed, quite natural for clubs over a 6 year period

I think we progressed a little on the pitch, but I’d also say that had we backed Cotts vision to the same degree, would it have been any different?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Gary Johnson didn’t wow you either so if you think Danny was better than both then fair play 

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

This is about as true as us all saying I’m so much better looking than George Clooney, is it?

Still, keep fishing..

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Something Danny spectacularly failed to do......

Unfortunately true………….:sad26:

The journey to play off final was spectacular tho - who can forget the semi final against Hartlepool and Roberts winning goal?  The greatest “buzz” ever!

Edited by Robbored
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

I saw your recent ban was worthwhile then…

  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

Go elsewhere then if you haven’t been entertained since,if I’m ever fortunate to watch you playing bowls I hope you are lobbing them in the air and getting near the Jack rather than boringly just rolling them down like every other Tom dick or arry 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Go elsewhere then if you haven’t been entertained since,if I’m ever fortunate to watch you playing bowls I hope you are lobbing them in the air and getting near the Jack rather than boringly just rolling them down like every other Tom dick or arry 

Try actually playing competitive bowls before you slag the game off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

Don't agree with the last sentence. But football under Wilson was very good, albeit it was never in the championship (as it is now). Tinman, Tommy Doc, peacock, Scotty. Great fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

 

And the worst drinking culture in my lifetime. 
 

I personally loved us getting turned over by the likes of Chesterfield, Colchester and the rest.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...