IGNORED

6 years since we gave Cotts the Bullet

WolfOfWestStreet

On the day of OTIBs 25th Anniversary (congratulations) there is another Anniversary on the same day and that is 6 years since we sacked Steve Cotterill. 

I had a Facebook memory and I went on something of a rant about it. I was pretty upset about the decision. 

I am well aware this debate has been done to ad nauseam (insert Alan Partidge Latin joke) but thinking about it today I cannot see how we have progressed since that day.

Worse team, no money, poor football, bottom end of the division. IMO the platform given from that great team was completely wasted.

I'm not saying he was the one, but I look back at that time as a supporter with immense fondness that has not been replicated (bar Man U/Man C) since. 

Thanks Steve ??

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

On the day of OTIBs 25th Anniversary (congratulations) there is another Anniversary on the same day and that is 6 years since we sacked Steve Cotterill. 

I had a Facebook memory and I went on something of a rant about it. I was pretty upset about the decision. 

I am well aware this debate has been done to ad nauseam (insert Alan Partidge Latin joke) but thinking about it today I cannot see how we have progressed since that day.

Worse team, no money, poor football, bottom end of the division. IMO the platform given from that great team was completely wasted.

I'm not saying he was the one, but I look back at that time as a supporter with immense fondness that has not been replicated (bar Man U/Man C) since. 

Thanks Steve ??

In the 6 years since Cotts was removed, how many season have we finished higher than he ever finished a season with us?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

The Cotterill debate has been done to death BUT we will always wonder what would have happened if he had been given the support to strengthen the team as LJ was subsequently given over the next 3 to 4 years.

Following promotion to The Champ we were in a strong position and Cotts deserved backing at that point.

I am a huge Cotts fan and that promotion season will stay with me forever. It was a real shame how it all ended.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

One of 3 big moments when the direction of the club stalled - instead of progressing - IMO.

1. Not turning up for the Brighton P/O final.

2. Not strengthening in the January window during the Gary Johnson P/O final season.

3. Being too quick to fire Cotts, basically because MA had convinced SL that he was the answer. Cotts didn't help himself after the summer transfer window problems.....but if no MA in the background then Cotts gets more time (like LJ and Nige who have both enjoyed SL's support in hard times) and money  IMV. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You were intimating that SC should never have been sacked but as posted earlier the Championship has evolved since his time.

I think you’re possibly the only poster on here that has never given SC any credit after leaving us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

We've progressed and regressed, quite natural for clubs over a 6 year period

I think we progressed a little on the pitch, but I’d also say that had we backed Cotts vision to the same degree, would it have been any different?

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Gary Johnson didn’t wow you either so if you think Danny was better than both then fair play 

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I go to AG to be entertained and DW produced the most attractive football seen at AG in the last 30 years. GJ nor SC got anywhere close to matching it.

This is about as true as us all saying I’m so much better looking than George Clooney, is it?

Still, keep fishing..

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Something Danny spectacularly failed to do......

Unfortunately true………….:sad26:

The journey to play off final was spectacular tho - who can forget the semi final against Hartlepool and Roberts winning goal?  The greatest “buzz” ever!

Edited by Robbored

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Go elsewhere then if you haven’t been entertained since,if I’m ever fortunate to watch you playing bowls I hope you are lobbing them in the air and getting near the Jack rather than boringly just rolling them down like every other Tom dick or arry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Go elsewhere then if you haven’t been entertained since,if I’m ever fortunate to watch you playing bowls I hope you are lobbing them in the air and getting near the Jack rather than boringly just rolling them down like every other Tom dick or arry 

Try actually playing competitive bowls before you slag the game off.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don't agree with the last sentence. But football under Wilson was very good, albeit it was never in the championship (as it is now). Tinman, Tommy Doc, peacock, Scotty. Great fun.