IGNORED

6 years since we gave Cotts the Bullet

WolfOfWestStreet

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I find that view amazing.

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

I can only see that as a building for the future strategy.

He didn’t even get the January window to save himself / us.

Four? ?.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Four? ?.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

Bryan Kodja is one person, didn't you know?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Four? ?.

Haha, I added Korey in at the end….doh!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I found it incredibly boring and City had results that were incredibly fortunate. I remember Millen saying after one particular game ‘how did we win that?’

One paced, pedestrian and :sleeping: to watch. The best matches that season we’re to two semi’s against Palace.

Absolute nonsense. Respect your opinion but I have listed all of the games from that season excluding the two play-off semi’s that stick in my mind from that season and always will.

This was a close knit team riding high off a promotion, providing entertaining and high octane football. Two speedy but bordering on nasty wingers, playing off a base of a showman cult hero keeper, with an all time club legend at centre half. Add in (more often than given credit for) sprinkles of genuine magic from Trundle and Noble, played out in front of a vocal and passionate genuine supporter base.

Some people just do not view football the way I do and I genuinely feel sorry for them.

QPR (h)

Norwich (a)

Norwich (h)

Watford (a)

Hull C (h)

Coventry (a)

Sheff Utd (h)

Stoke C (h)

Scunthorpe (h)

Sheff W (a)

Southampton (h)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

He was taking us down without doubt.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

53 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Absolute nonsense. Respect your opinion but I have listed all of the games from that season excluding the two play-off semi’s that stick in my mind from that season and always will.

This was a close knit team riding high off a promotion, providing entertaining and high octane football. Two speedy but bordering on nasty wingers, playing off a base of a showman cult hero keeper, with an all time club legend at centre half. Add in (more often than given credit for) sprinkles of genuine magic from Trundle and Noble, played out in front of a vocal and passionate genuine supporter base.

Some people just do not view football the way I do and I genuinely feel sorry for them.

QPR (h)

Norwich (a)

Norwich (h)

Watford (a)

Hull C (h)

Coventry (a)

Sheff Utd (h)

Stoke C (h)

Scunthorpe (h)

Sheff W (a)

Southampton (h)

You don't finish in the top 6 by luck you finish there vecause you deserve to be there 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Where I'd disagree is that the players you list were signed for the here and now (or the "there and then" given we're talking about the past). The recruitment was superb in the summer of 2013  - I'm certainly not going to argue on that - but, by the 2014/2015 season, Costs was relying on eleven players and refusing to even put young players on the bench when we didn't have enough subs.

Maybe "building for the future" is the wrong term but what I mean is there didn't seem to be any continuity plan beyond the first team, Cotts didn't seem particularly interested in any of the players beyond the first team and I'm not convinced that either Kelly - or the players who've come through since - would have been given the opportunity by a manager who had a first eleven and pretty much stuck with it. 

I'd also argue Kodjia, Freeman and Smith ultimately found that the upper end of the Championship was their ceiling. Kodjia was a hell of a player for us but I don't think, even with Maguire and Gray (presumably Gray instead of Kodjia instead of as well as) we'd have had a team that would have got us promotion. We'd probably have had a team that got close to the play-off positions but we ultimately ended up with that anyway. 

Edited by LondonBristolian