Jump to content
IGNORED

6 years since we gave Cotts the Bullet


Recommended Posts

We will never know for sure but I think it is impossible to look back at Cotterill’s sacking as a mistake as, as others have pointed out, we’ve finished higher every season than we were when he left. I also think the tension between him and the board was toxic and I really believe we would have gone down if he had stayed.

Obviously the “what if?” of whether we should have backed him the previous summer is a different one. But, even if we had, I think Maguire and either Gray or Gayle would have been ultimately sold for similar fees to we got for Webster and Kodjia and I don’t think they would have stuck around for the two of three years for us to be promotion ready. Being honest, I also saw little in Cotterill’s reign to make me think we were building for the future and I feel we would have ultimately dropped off and faced a rebuilding job.

So really I think that, had Cotts stayed in January, we would have gone down and, had he stayed in the summer, we’d pretty much be where we were now.

We had brilliant times when he was here but I really don’t regret us sacking him.

If I was going to choose my Bristol City “sliding doors” moment of recent seasons, it would not be “what if we had never sacked Cotts” but “what if we had had a better transfer strategy in summer 2019?”

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I also saw little in Cotterill’s reign to make me think we were building for the future and I feel we would have ultimately dropped off and faced a rebuilding job.

I find that view amazing.

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

I can only see that as a building for the future strategy.

He didn’t even get the January window to save himself / us.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I find that view amazing.

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

I can only see that as a building for the future strategy.

He didn’t even get the January window to save himself / us.

Four? 😉.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Four? 😉.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

Bryan Kodja is one person, didn't you know?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Four? 😉.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

Haha, I added Korey in at the end….doh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I found it incredibly boring and City had results that were incredibly fortunate. I remember Millen saying after one particular game ‘how did we win that?’

One paced, pedestrian and :sleeping: to watch. The best matches that season we’re to two semi’s against Palace.

Absolute nonsense. Respect your opinion but I have listed all of the games from that season excluding the two play-off semi’s that stick in my mind from that season and always will.

This was a close knit team riding high off a promotion, providing entertaining and high octane football. Two speedy but bordering on nasty wingers, playing off a base of a showman cult hero keeper, with an all time club legend at centre half. Add in (more often than given credit for) sprinkles of genuine magic from Trundle and Noble, played out in front of a vocal and passionate genuine supporter base.

Some people just do not view football the way I do and I genuinely feel sorry for them.
 

QPR (h)

Norwich (a)

Norwich (h)

Watford (a)

Hull C (h)

Coventry (a)

Sheff Utd (h)

Stoke C (h)

Scunthorpe (h)

Sheff W (a)

Southampton (h)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I find that view amazing.

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

I can only see that as a building for the future strategy.

He didn’t even get the January window to save himself / us.

He was taking us down without doubt.

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Absolute nonsense. Respect your opinion but I have listed all of the games from that season excluding the two play-off semi’s that stick in my mind from that season and always will.

This was a close knit team riding high off a promotion, providing entertaining and high octane football. Two speedy but bordering on nasty wingers, playing off a base of a showman cult hero keeper, with an all time club legend at centre half. Add in (more often than given credit for) sprinkles of genuine magic from Trundle and Noble, played out in front of a vocal and passionate genuine supporter base.

Some people just do not view football the way I do and I genuinely feel sorry for them.
 

QPR (h)

Norwich (a)

Norwich (h)

Watford (a)

Hull C (h)

Coventry (a)

Sheff Utd (h)

Stoke C (h)

Scunthorpe (h)

Sheff W (a)

Southampton (h)

 

 

You don't finish in the top 6 by luck you finish there vecause you deserve to be there 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I find that view amazing.

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Bryan, Kodjia, to name four, where expert recruitment (with Keith Burt and with SOD too) and a clear strategy re younger players, coupled with the odd senior player….showed we were building for the future.

Dont forget first choice summer transfers of Andre Gray, was just 24….not Nahki Wells at 29.  Harry Maguire was 22, as was Ryan Fredericks and Liam Moore (loan).  Whether you believe Pelling’s reverse-gazumpmg is immaterial, the players we were after were the right types to grow with us.

I can only see that as a building for the future strategy.

He didn’t even get the January window to save himself / us.

Where I'd disagree is that the players you list were signed for the here and now (or the "there and then" given we're talking about the past). The recruitment was superb in the summer of 2013  - I'm certainly not going to argue on that - but, by the 2014/2015 season, Costs was relying on eleven players and refusing to even put young players on the bench when we didn't have enough subs.

Maybe "building for the future" is the wrong term but what I mean is there didn't seem to be any continuity plan beyond the first team, Cotts didn't seem particularly interested in any of the players beyond the first team and I'm not convinced that either Kelly - or the players who've come through since - would have been given the opportunity by a manager who had a first eleven and pretty much stuck with it. 

I'd also argue Kodjia, Freeman and Smith ultimately found that the upper end of the Championship was their ceiling. Kodjia was a hell of a player for us but I don't think, even with Maguire and Gray (presumably Gray instead of Kodjia instead of as well as) we'd have had a team that would have got us promotion. We'd probably have had a team that got close to the play-off positions but we ultimately ended up with that anyway. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...