IGNORED

N P's One Liners

bpexile

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Everybody has different styles I guess, maybe Johnson tried to be clever in his interviews but I don’t think you could ever accuse him of looking down his nose at fans. 

I only ever saw someone who really loved this club as a player and manager, did lots for the community and genuinely tried to have a close relationship with the fans despite being on the back foot with a good majority from the outset.

He didn’t look down his nose, but just as one of the posters above said Nige should be answering more fully because the fans are the ones the answers are for, LJ would use terminology that was alien to the casual fan, and that was him being aloof, “I’m better than you”.

49 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He did that. He spoke at length about joe williams. Probably can’t say much about baker we have a loans manager called Brian tinnion for that. Pearson’s job is concentrating on our first team . Why would he waste time talking about our players out on loan 

And he’s again laid the ground rules that he is only really interested in talking about those players at his disposal.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Everybody has different styles I guess, maybe Johnson tried to be clever in his interviews but I don’t think you could ever accuse him of looking down his nose at fans. 

I only ever saw someone who really loved this club as a player and manager, did lots for the community and genuinely tried to have a close relationship with the fans despite being on the back foot with a good majority from the outset.

Agreed. Johnson wasn’t perfect but I get the impression he was desperate to be a success here. It was probably a job or two too early really. Would’ve been interesting to see how he’d have got on without Ashton, he’s doing well at Sunderland.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Or perhaps the journo could prepare a differently worded question, or have a secondary more open question ready if he gets the type of response above.

You ask the right question, Nige will talk the hind legs off a donkey.

He’s laid out the ground rules enough times, e.g. don’t ask me about individual transfers, you’ll know when there’s something to announce.  Don’t ask me about my tactics for the upcoming game.

You can either try to work with him, build rapport, even ask him to perhaps not be so closed on certain things, or you can set yourself up for an interview where you glean nothing insightful.  How you then “sell” that back to your readers is your problem, not Nige’s.

You can see the ones who’ve built a good rapport with him, they get away with more than others.  Also be prepared that your killer question might’ve been asked by an earlier person.

I suspect Nige sees the Dave Barton media interview as his way of talking to the fans.

Think the press try to hard to get on side,Often pretty much the same question but worded differently. Gregor has had the same problem nige certainly makes you earn your money ?

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

No not at all, but I’d expect an update on a player’s injury or availability, or even a loan. Not too much to ask!

I honestly can't remember when he's been less than straight about injuries, quite often he's said X,Y or Z won't be available at the weekend, well in advance.  The loan thing is different, he won't be watching players loaned out, week to week. Unless they are being called back because we are short in a certain position, I don't see him being involved past regular reports from our scouts. The Taylor Moore question was asked, in such a way it deserved a  short answer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Johnson wasn’t perfect but I get the impression he was desperate to be a success here. It was probably a job or two too early really. Would’ve been interesting to see how he’d have got on without Ashton, he’s doing well at Sunderland.

Think some of that is his own insecurity.

Despite doing pretty well here, I still think he was fortunate to land a club like Sunderland, even though they are a division below.  They are going well, fair play to him.  He will be desperate to go up in the top 2…playoffs could be really tough…25% chance.

He is likeable in lots of ways, but has that self-destruct button every now and again, that makes all the bad things come flooding back.

Pearson's one of those managers who doesn't enjoy the media part of his job, whereas LJ did.

Some people are naturally guarded and are under the impression that you, as a reporter, are just trying to trip them up all the time. I think that is how Nigel reacts., and in his defence he's been in the game long enough that he probably does have some grievances.

FWIW I never bought into this idea that Lee J waffled and talked bollocks in his interviews. He was perfectly lucid in my view. The problems arose because what he said often did not reflect what we saw on the field. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He will talk if you ask him decent questions . The young lad from Gloucester uni asked about the position Jay DS played last week and got info about that position and about Jay .  He had opened a line of discussion  that was interesting . Some people like the media , crave it almost ,others don’t . It’s different sometimes difficult with Nige but if you get it right you will get your headline or content . He has been the same for decades so you deal with it . Get it right and you can have fun with him . But you need to put some effort and professionalism in .  I find him civil enough he’s just direct . If you going to make it as a journalist you need to get some tough skin . I do t have time to go through question by question to explain what is wrong g with the majority that were asked , but the lack of preparation and professionalism is evident . There are so many recorded interviews from all levels these days you have access to much learning material to improve  . These are accredited journalists asking questions not joe public . 

Hes not a journalists delight but there are far worse and it is part of the gig . 

A little while ago I asked James Piercy about why the Bristol Post were never first to ask their Qs.  His reply was that sometimes it helped because the some of the ones on before asked the banal questions that meant he could get onto the better stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

A little while ago I asked James Piercy about why the Bristol Post were never first to ask their Qs.  His reply was that sometimes it helped because the some of the ones on before asked the banal questions that meant he could get onto the better stuff.

I am surprised by the banality of some of the questions. Those media outlets are doing their readers/listeners a disservice. I'm not a football expert as much as a lot on here but I expect a certain level of questioning. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He will talk if you ask him decent questions . The young lad from Gloucester uni asked about the position Jay DS played last week and got info about that position and about Jay .  He had opened a line of discussion  that was interesting . Some people like the media , crave it almost ,others don’t . It’s different sometimes difficult with Nige but if you get it right you will get your headline or content . He has been the same for decades so you deal with it . Get it right and you can have fun with him . But you need to put some effort and professionalism in .  I find him civil enough he’s just direct . If you going to make it as a journalist you need to get some tough skin . I do t have time to go through question by question to explain what is wrong g with the majority that were asked , but the lack of preparation and professionalism is evident . There are so many recorded interviews from all levels these days you have access to much learning material to improve  . These are accredited journalists asking questions not joe public . 

Hes not a journalists delight but there are far worse and it is part of the gig . 

I guess as well, he will talk if he wants to (or is able to) share information. 

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

FWIW I never bought into this idea that Lee J waffled and talked bollocks in his interviews. He was perfectly lucid in my view. The problems arose because what he said often did not reflect what we saw on the field. 

So talking bollocks then. 

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

It’s the same questions for all managers up & down the country, yet they seem to manage it.

And managing to say nothing even vaguely interesting or insightful if asked these types of questions. Lots of better journalists out there as well, who, given they’re better, are more likely to be asking Klopp et al questions, which results in better answers. None of us think it’s acceptable for footballers to be terrible at the job and show no signs of trying to improve, don’t see why journalists should get a free pass. As has been mentioned, James Piercy asks better questions and gets better answers. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not bollocks as in incomprehensible jargon (which is the usual charge), but I guess in the sense that what he said was not reflected in how we played. 

If I said one thing in a meeting at work and did something completely different in practice I’d be accused of talking bollocks. I can tell my board that I will make them a million pounds a day but bring in five pence. They’d say I talked bollocks  

LJ talked a lot of bollocks. And some of it was bordering on incomprehensible. It was waffle, deflection, management speak and general all round bollocks  

Having said that, he will get it right at a club one day and will be pretty successful IMHO.  We were right club wrong time  

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cityloyal473 said:

If I said one thing in a meeting at work and did something completely different in practice I’d be accused of talking bollocks. I can tell my board that will make them a million pounds a day but bring in five pence. They’d say I talked bollocks  

LJ talked a lot of bollocks. 

Having said that, he will get it right at a club one day and will be pretty successful IMHO.  We were right club wrong time 

I'd say he was pretty successful here, but just didn't have what it takes to sustain success throughout the season and get us over the line.  The advantages he had to help that success is a topic that's been done to death on here. 

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Indeed . But as I said earlier why not ask him about our change to higher possession , what did he and the coaches do to change that , what are the roles of Curtis and Ball , what have they changed . He has talked about being brave with the ball . What does that mean and how do you achieve it . He says a lot of things that don’t get picked up .  It looks pretty obvious from the videos at the training ground that Curtis has a style that is very positive and encouraging. In the end it’s just football and there is little to say outside of the 90 mins but imho the change in approach these last months should have given them lots to ask him . 

After the release of accounts a 1-1 with RG and Piercy would have  been sensible . Club need to grant exclusive access  sometimes 

Yes, those kinds of questions are far more interesting, even for someone like me who doesn't know a lot about football. It's a learning curve for me.

it was reported a while back that his son said he had to change his way with interviews as he tended to spout everything he knew without thinking first.  i think that is why he seems very reined in during pressers.  i know from personal experience that this could be very true because when i met him,he didnt hold back at all in his answers about out transfer targets last summer or a couple of other ongoing issues behind the scenes. absolute diamond of a bloke,no fibs or red herrings,everything he said was going to happen did happen.  

to be perfectly honest, i dont give a hoot about pre match interviews,they might aswell be the beano or dandy,just a weekly comic for the fans to read or watch something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, firstdivision said:

How did you make that leap to me liking LJ’s interviews. Flawed logic.
I just prefer less sneering, a bit of tolerance (for the odd many daft questions) and a realisation that you can cut through to the supporters who are quite interested in most information about the club. It’s not that difficult. 

I have no doubt in my mind that he would talk about the club if the questions were not so dumb or stereotyped, imo he's merely answering the questions in the manner they are asked.