IGNORED

Fulham away match day thread

Fulham v Bristol City Saturday January 15th at 3 pm Craven Cottage.

Last week the attendance was 7,304, however, todays match has sold out! We will have a strong away following having sold out our allocation of 1,687. Here’s hoping the faithful City fans enjoy the day and cheer the lads on to a massive three points.

There are a fair few boozers around Fulham’s Craven Cottage which are happy to serve away fans. The smart Fulham pubs are generally pretty friendly when it comes to visitors and the Eight Bells  https://www.facebook.com/EightBellsFulham/ and the Temperance https://www.facebook.com/TemperancePub/ are two places which have become hubs for away fans. Both get very busy, but the former generally tends to be the livelier of the two. The Eight Bells is found right by Putney Bridge station, around 10 minutes from the ground, with a characterful wood-panelled bar and nice outside seating area. Here are a few other pubs worth considering around the cottage: https://sportswhereiam.com/london/craven-cottage/fan-tips/best-pubs-around-craven-cottage/

Finally, the Atlas is a busy ivy-clad pub with a long simple bar; panelling and dark wall benches, mix of old tables and chairs on bare boards, brick fireplaces, four well kept ales, lots of wines by the glass and decent coffee, good if pricey Italian-influenced food; friendly service; background music; children (till 7pm) and dogs welcome, side terrace with picnic-sets, open all day and busy with Chelsea supporters on match days. Atlas, 16 Seagrave Road, London, SW6 1RX www.theatlaspub.co.uk

NP has spoken about the importance of consistency and playing the same team twice in a week is a neat way of seeing if we can replicate our standards and recent improved performances. Our showing last week was IMO the best 90 minutes we’ve produced this season. Their starting line up today is likely to be stronger and as one of their forum posts from last week pointed out ‘our B team, including players that haven't played a game in about three months, stopped a Championship club's A team from doing much against us. As soon as we brought on our first team players the balance started to shift in our favour….’

As the EP noted after the FA cup defeat our ‘upturn in tactical flexibility and the youth springboard of pace, is something to believe might continue. It hasn’t been a comfortable ride getting into this position and it won’t continue to be either, but it’s important to remember it isn’t Pearson’s fault that he took over a team that wasn’t in a good state or that it’s taken over a year to weed out some of the players that were causing problems. But it does look like those days are slowly ebbing away into the foggy past.

City’s results might not indicate a sharp upturn in form, that’s extremely unlikely, but their performances of late are going in the right direction and their battle against Fulham was evidence of this.’

Fulham are currently in second place with 48 points from 24 games (they are one point behind Bournemouth and have a game in hand.) Up until mid-November, it was an A+ for Marco Silva's side. Goals were flying in, Championship top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic looked a class above anyone else in the division, and seven straight wins had opened up a nine point gap to third. But a goalless game against Derby on 24 November started a run of four straight draws, followed by a defeat against Sheffield United which Silva described as ‘a really bad evening!’ On Tuesday they thrashed Reading seven nil!  Their recent league form is DDDDLW = seven points.

Ahead of last weeks FA cup game NP said ‘They’re a really good side. It will be a tough game because they’re quite an accomplished side.’ After last weeks narrow defeat and good City performance he had this to say ‘I thought the players showed a lot of quality, spirit and commitment. It was a good match in difficult conditions, I feel for the players today because they deserved more. We've given everything we could today, we showed quality against a really good side and we caused them problems, but we weren't clinical enough in front of goal.’

In recent years, the lilywhites  have bounced between the Premier League and the Championship but it was not too long ago that they found themselves in the fourth tier of English football. The west London club rose meteorically from the fourth tier to the top flight between 1996 and 2001.

The league’s top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic has played in 23 Championship matches so far this season and has scored 24 goals and chipped in with six assists. His current stats are a goal every 83 minutes, compared with Andreas Weimann whose return is a goal every 187 minutes!

He looks well on target to set a new goal scoring record in the Championship by overtaking Ivan Toney, who broke Glenn Murray's record of the most goals scored in a Sky Bet Championship campaign, since the division's rebrand in 2004, by hitting his 31st goal of the season in the Bees' 3-1 win over us in their promotion year. Here are some of his best goals: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12263086/ivan-toney-how-the-brentford-striker-broke-the-championship-scoring-record

After scoring 36 goals in 69 games for Anderlecht, the Serbian earned himself a move to Newcastle, where his spell in the North East wasn't as successful, netting 14 times in 65 games. In February 2018, he joined Fulham on loan until the end of the season and his first goal for the club came against the Robins later that month in a 1-1 draw. After finishing that season with 12 goals, Fulham signed the forward permanently in July 2018. 

Fulham's number nine has earned 69 caps for his country, with a very impressive goal tally of 44.

He is married to Kristina Janjic. They started dating back in 2014 and after two years of dating the couple welcomed their first child. They tied the knot in May 2021 when they married in Belgrade, Serbia.

With 58 goals they are the highest scoring team in the EFL and have the meanest defence in the championship conceding just 19.

Back in September at home it finished 1-1 Mitrovic (inevitably) scored that day with KP equalising. Our head to head record is won 22, lost 26 and drawn 17.

If you want an insight into todays teams from a players perspective you might find the following (rather old) link interesting: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/30/opposition-view

Fulham facts

• The original ‘Cottage’ of Craven Cottage was built in the 18th Century to house William Craven, and it was located in what would be the centre-circle of today’s stadium. The surrounding woodland was part of Anne Boleyn’s hunting grounds.
  • Henry Norris, who acted as chairman of Fulham through the early 1900s, rejected an offer to relocate Fulham to where Stamford Bridge lies today – the man who tabled the offer, Gus Mears, subsequently formed Chelsea Football Club.
  • Craven Cottage was a host venue for several football games during the 1948 Olympic Games held in London.
  • Fulham’s principle owner Shahid Khan is also the owner of NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars, as well as the 2019 wrestling promotion All Elite Wrestling.
  • The club was founded in 1879 and originated from Fulham St. Andrew’s Sunday School – their first ever stadium was called the ‘Half Moon’ and they played there from 1891 to 1895.
  • Only one player has ever represented Fulham in the top-four tiers of English Football – ex-Spurs, Portsmouth and Bolton midfielder, Sean Davis.
  • Famous fans include Margot Robbie, Alex James, Richard Osman, Emily Maitlis and Hugh Grant.

1C4D9136-7829-42C2-B607-C7489F2254EB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

All the best to the travelling 1,687 travelling City fans today. I hope your day is enjoyable, great fun, have a few pints, keep an eye on the young ones around you, look after yourselves, sing as loud as you can, keep safe and most importantly enjoy what I hope will be a City win. 

Fulham 2 - City 3. Martin netting two and the other coming from Massengo. 

COYR.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 2

II mean, we should lose.

Equally in recent years we have remarkably good results there. Think it’s the last 4 times at their place we have won? Last minute winners, 4-0s, the lot. For whatever reason we are a bogey side for them at home, so who knows?

We can dream of more ‘limbs’?

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Finally, the Atlas is a busy ivy-clad pub with a long simple bar; panelling and dark wall benches, mix of old tables and chairs on bare boards, brick fireplaces, four well kept ales, lots of wines by the glass and decent coffee, good if pricey Italian-influenced food; friendly service; background music; children (till 7pm) and dogs welcome, side terrace with picnic-sets, open all day and busy with Chelsea supporters on match days. Atlas, 16 Seagrave Road, London, SW6 1RXwww.theatlaspub.co.uk

…. I love this pub, but I always spend an absolute fortune whenever I go there :(

Once, Mrs R&W and I were in there enjoying a meal when a very drunk woman got stuck in the toilet (she had collapsed inside the cubicle) and the landlady asked me to help to get her out - which I did - and received a couple of free drinks as a ‘thank you’!
That was a ‘one-off’ by the way. We’ve been in there lots of times - it’s more of a diners pub than a hard-drinking boozer so you are very unlikely to find drunk people there - besides, it’s too expensive to drink a lot in there!!

Enjoy your trip those of you who are going to the game - and bring back the 3 points!!!!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Reckon Pearson will bring Martin back in. Our records good but can’t see anything other than a Fulham win, 2-0. 

Bentley 

Vyner        Kalas      Atkinson

Scott        James       Massengo        Pring 

Weimann

Martin      Semenyo

Edited by Finley_Smith10

This is a game where the most logical and likely result will not be positive for us. We've been making good steady progress with our performances of late and so as long as we perform then I'm really not going to be upset by a team peppered with Premiership players who are highly likely to go up automatically.

However, a win or a draw would be a champagne moment for us all tonight with the odd cidered up poster talking about play offs.

COYR and here's hoping that our travelling fans have a great day out and watch a great game of football at my second favourite ground.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Reckon Pearson will bring Martin back in. Our records good but can’t see anything other than a Fulham win, 2-0. 

Bentley 

Vyner        Kalas      Atkinson

Scott        James       Massengo        Pring 

Weimann

Martin      Semenyo

Can't see what O'Leary has done to lose his place. I also think Nige might want Andy King to get a run in the team. 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

This is a game where the most logical and likely result will not be positive for us. We've been making good steady progress with our performances of late and so as long as we perform then I'm really not going to be upset by a team peppered with Premiership players who are highly likely to go up automatically.

However, a win or a draw would be a champagne moment for us all tonight with the odd cidered up poster talking about play offs.

COYR and here's hoping that our travelling fans have a great day out and watch a great game of football at my second favourite ground.

Correct, the only sensible pre-game conclusion is we’ll get done today. Fulham are a far better side than us there’s no doubt about that. But you watch the dozen usual suspects who only turn up when it goes wrong crying like little babies on here later if the expected does happen. I can’t for the life of me work out whether it’s because they are weak minded individuals who never played the game and therefore can’t deal with losing or whether they just genuinely hate the club.

This is a very tough game. Can we compete with them at their place after they’ve just demolished Reading by seven in a similar manner to the way we competed  at ours last week? That’s what I’m looking at rather than the score line  tbh.

• Like 6