IGNORED

Fulham away match day thread

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Mostly because that is the reason. We are a well run club that made a £36m loss, Fulham, Bournemouth and West Brom will get more than that as ungenerated income. There is no way that Fulham to keep hold of Mitrovic without that cash.

True, doesn’t excuse the schoolboy defending that gifted them a win. All 6 goals were easily preventable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, Super said:

In a one off game it isn't. It's a convenient excuse.

It’s not an excuse though it is a fact. Sometimes you play teams that are streets ahead of you, this was one of them. Why are Fulham that far ahead, why are they able to recruit players like they have, why are they able to keep the players they have?

We gave them a game for 20mins or so, which is something to build on. Fulham won’t lose too many games this season playing like that

Hard to read too much into that end result. 

Fulham are one of the divisions elite - but conceding 6 is never OK in a league match. 

First 30 mins seemed so positive - yet it was only a matter of time until Fulham over powered us.

Happy to write this on off.... As long as we get some positive results in the upcoming matches. 

6 games up next that SHOULD all be winnable. 

I'd expect us to get an absolute minimum of 8 points from those 6 games - should really be hoping for 10 points from them, but let's set an achievable target. 

If we can't return that, that you can't really point to any tangible improvement atall. 

Better that and we'll be heading nicely to safety target. 

Let's judge ourselves against the middle pack of the division, rather than the elite ones, where any result can be classed as a bonus. 

Still utterly unsure about NP, but let's judge more after the next 6 games. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

It’s not an excuse though it is a fact. Sometimes you play teams that are streets ahead of you, this was one of them. Why are Fulham that far ahead, why are they able to recruit players like they have, why are they able to keep the players they have?

We gave them a game for 20mins or so, which is something to build on. Fulham won’t lose too many games this season playing like that

Let's just concede the game before then if we can't compete. Anyway let's move on.

Just now, Super said:

Let's just concede the game before then if we can't compete. Anyway let's move on.

Did you honestly think we’d win? Someone else described the first half today as is being like a boxer who was so outclassed they came out punching, I think that was a pretty accurate description. We certainly gave them a game for 20-25 mins.

Surely you must agree that parachute payments make this league more difficult each season we’re in it?

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Did you honestly think we’d win? Someone else described the first half today as is being like a boxer who was so outclassed they came out punching, I think that was a pretty accurate description. We certainly gave them a game for 20-25 mins.

Surely you must agree that parachute payments make this league more difficult each season we’re in it?

I thought we may get a point. Derby did recently and Luton.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I’d argue that 2 were preventable, and Vyner aside, the defenders mostly did ok, Fulham had too much movement and guile.

? Two goals came from standing off a man to let them run in and curl it, all of mitrovic’s goals came from shit organisation at the back. Kalas and Vyner can’t deal with aerial pressure.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KegCity said:

? Two goals came from standing off a man to let them run in and curl it, all of mitrovic’s goals came from shit organisation at the back. Kalas and Vyner can’t deal with aerial pressure.

I think Mitrovic was very cute, the first goal was a foul but disguised it well, the corner was clever by Fulham as they blocked off O’Dowda who was tracking him, and the 3rd came from him picking that ball up in a position you would not expect him to be in. I’d agree about Vyner, aerially he is poor, leaving Kalas with too much to do in that department.    

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I think Mitrovic was very cute, the first goal was a foul but disguised it well, the corner was clever by Fulham as they blocked off O’Dowda who was tracking him, and the 3rd came from him picking that ball up in a position you would not expect him to be in. I’d agree about Vyner, aerially he is poor, leaving Kalas with too much to do in that department.    

They’ve both been piss poor with dealing with crosses since Holden took charge. Can dress it up however you like but mitrovic wasn’t challenged at any point today.

I wasn’t expecting anything today, but if you defend like that against anyone you’ll get beat. Such a shame after the first half hour where it looked like we’d turned a corner

• Like 2

Well, today felt like it was going to be a bit of a free hit. That said, still shouldn't be conceding 6 against a side in the same division as you.

Worth noting that Fulham seemed to bring their shooting boots today - on another day I'm not sure that their chances would have produced 6 goals. Perhaps a testament to the incredible talent within their squad too. *Insert criticism of parachute payments*

Contrary to popular belief ("We urgently need to sign a striker!"), we continue to be limited by our defending more than anything else IMO. Only Peterborough have conceded more than us this season (Reading have also conceded the same number as us). It's the number of "soft" goals conceded that frustrates most.

Saw a number of posters referencing the results of Derby, P'boro, Reading etc during the game - I'm still confident that we'll stay up, and that it's entirely in our hands.
Hopefully we can bounce back for the Cardiff game next weekend.

• Like 2
Just now, bexhill reds said:

He certainly has not found the correct combination of the resources available, we could do with a take no shit centre half, Baker could be it, but clearly concerns with the head injuries.

Agreed that should be the priority this window. Though I can't see anyone coming in unless somebody leaves.

Perhaps Stoke could spare us one of their 42 centre halves??

Just now, eardun said:

He has had more defensive experience at his disposal though. We are too reliant on younger players or attackers playing at wing back in my view.  

Yep, fair comment. I'd take Curtis Davies like a shot for instance.

He has still done a remarkable job with limited resources though.