IGNORED

Fulham away match day thread

17 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Worth noting that Fulham seemed to bring their shooting boots today - on another day I'm not sure that their chances would have produced 6 goals. Perhaps a testament to the incredible talent within their squad too. *Insert criticism of parachute payments*

They had 8 shots on target, we had 5. Only they scored six of those eight...

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Scott, Massengo and King weren’t looking too bad aside from standing off the guys shooting from range. Bizarre call from Pearson to take Massengo off and take away the legs in the side.

It’s days like today we miss Joe Williams, remember in the return fixture how he changed the game when he came on. We need a midfielder who’s legs haven’t gone and who can put himself about as Fulham played through us too many times today 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Well, today felt like it was going to be a bit of a free hit. That said, still shouldn't be conceding 6 against a side in the same division as you.

Worth noting that Fulham seemed to bring their shooting boots today - on another day I'm not sure that their chances would have produced 6 goals. Perhaps a testament to the incredible talent within their squad too. *Insert criticism of parachute payments*

Contrary to popular belief ("We urgently need to sign a striker!"), we continue to be limited by our defending more than anything else IMO. Only Peterborough have conceded more than us this season (Reading have also conceded the same number as us). It's the number of "soft" goals conceded that frustrates most.

Saw a number of posters referencing the results of Derby, P'boro, Reading etc during the game - I'm still confident that we'll stay up, and that it's entirely in our hands.
Hopefully we can bounce back for the Cardiff game next weekend.

It shouldn't have felt like that, considering Preston, Derby and Sheff United have all got results against Fulham recently

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

One thing Rooney has proved is that he knows how to organise a defence. Nigel has yet to do the same with ours.

14 minutes ago, eardun said:

Agree. They’ve let in 24. We’ve let in 45. Only Posh have conceded more than us. Needs to be the priority this window. 

Re WRDC, worth bearing in mind that (IIRC) their underlying numbers going forward are some of the worst in the league. Their defensive solidity has come at the expense of attacking threat.

In fact, I think their xGA (expected goals against) is worse than one might expect too. Bit of a statistical miracle that they've not conceded more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Yes, but those were before they had a 2/3 week break due to postponements.  They’ve come back much stronger after their enforced rest.

Yep- good point. Probably the deepest squad in the division, a nice break- they won at us with a fair few changes but calling on some of the cavalry, hit 7 at Reading and then today- they'll hammer better sides than us, already have tbh given the 7-0 at Blackburn!

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

DaSilva is as bad on the right as he is on the left

I spent the first 20 minutes thinking he was playing right back and wondering where he was. 

Neither he nor O’Dowda gave any cover to the back 3. I assumed he was there to track Cabano but we were open down that side the whole first half (as well as through the middle and down the other side a bit too)

Just for once I don’t feel at all critical of Pearson, nor of the team for that matter.  If Fulham aren’t already intimidating enough, we went in with a severely weakened team (Dasilva at left back?) and people should give our players some credit for keeping the margin to only four goals.  And I hate to see any player who’s come up through our academy subject to vitriol and abuse, so give Zak Vyner a break, eh?

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just for once I don’t feel at all critical of Pearson, nor of the team for that matter.  If Fulham aren’t already intimidating enough, we went in with a severely weakened team (Dasilva at left back?) and people should give our players some credit for keeping the margin to only four goals.  And I hate to see any player who’s come up through our academy subject to vitriol and abuse, so give Zak Vyner a break, eh?

?

4 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

Try logging out and back in again. That sorted a similar issue for me the other week 

Thanks, I sorted it out in the end, although, I wish I hadn't after that result. It turned out that as Robins TV was only available for overseas the audio was only the commentary and not as usual the RB one and they did start the audio later than usual. this is the first time I have used the phone app for the commentary and wasn't used to hearing the prattle from the TV boys.

4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Thanks, I sorted it out in the end, although, I wish I hadn't after that result. It turned out that as Robins TV was only available for overseas the audio was only the commentary and not as usual the RB one and they did start the audio later than usual. this is the first time I have used the phone app for the commentary and wasn't used to hearing the prattle from the TV boys.

Its bad enough with a picture to go alongside it. I doubt you had much idea where the ball was for 90% of the game.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

See, I think Nige deserves a bit of stick tonight for exposing Vyner to pick up Mitrovic.  I’m not down about 1 result in a context of 26 league games, I got to shout rather loudly on two occasions today, and again when we should’ve got a penalty at 2-3 down.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agreed.

I hope NP gives Vyner a break.

He had a mare, not for the first time.

Switches off far to often.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeh I saw the xG figures. I think it shows that we matched them for 30 minutes...and then they just went through the gears for 15, and killed the game with some very, very good finishes. And some of those were made easier by our defending.

The 6 goals mostly just gets our GA back in line with our xGA.

This was a far cry from the 6-0 Watford game last season.

2021-02-13-watford-bristol-city.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2