IGNORED

Millwall - Article on their “pathway”

Davefevs

21 minutes ago, redapple said:

I thought McNamara the Right Back looked a brilliant player for them the other week. 

I thought he was relatively quiet in that game, but perhaps I had higher expectations of him from previous viewings.  He’s a v.good RWB.  I used to quite like Mahlon Romeo, but he’s an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he was relatively quiet in that game, but perhaps I had higher expectations of him from previous viewings.  He’s a v.good RWB.  I used to quite like Mahlon Romeo, but he’s an upgrade.

On a random note, is it Romeo that’s Jazzie B of Soul 2 Souls son or did I work event heavily and dream that up?

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did show signs of quality first half when he was right under my nose ( Lansdown Stand) but seemed to fade 2nd half but that could be a combination of my poor eyesight, excitement at the way the game went and astonishment at our new found passing game . 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

7th signing of the summer for Cardiff.

First one they’ve signed that I actually rate. Decent option at RB & on a list that I would have been happy for us to pursue.

Seems like a lot of random ones otherwise, a bloke who was last on loan at Dundee, a keeper from St. Mirren, various non league players, plus the lad at Forest Green & O’Dowda, of course.

This strategy seems to be high risk to me, but maybe they know what they’re doing?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First one they’ve signed that I actually rate. Decent option at RB & on a list that I would have been happy for us to pursue.

Seems like a lot of random ones otherwise, a bloke who was last on loan at Dundee, a keeper from St. Mirren, various non league players, plus the lad at Forest Green & O’Dowda, of course.

This strategy seems to be high risk to me, but maybe they know what they’re doing?

It’s either recruiting to a very tight budget, or it’s saving all the budget for Bale!

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@GrahamC

Wasn't this the guy that you were talking to me about a few months ago?

As for Cardiff. I think a number of clubs are probably trying to recreate the Huddersfield model from last year around better recruitment.

Going to be a lot of unemployed championship footballers next month isn't there.

Certainly interesting times for clubs 're their future planning.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s either recruiting to a very tight budget, or it’s saving all the budget for Bale!

Definitely the former, they have just released 8 players they paid a total of £30m for (Josh Murphy was £11m on his own), & apart from this lad & COD, none of them are experienced Championship players, so they will have drastically reduced their wage bill here.

17 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@GrahamC

Wasn't this the guy that you were talking to me about a few months ago?

As for Cardiff. I think a number of clubs are probably trying to recreate the Huddersfield model from last year around better recruitment.

Going to be a lot of unemployed championship footballers next month isn't there.

Certainly interesting times for clubs 're their future planning.

Yep, if we were going for a proven, low wage RB to play in a 4, I would have been very happy with him.

Would also say though that he spent last season on loan in L1 at Pompey & wasn’t an automatic choice. Fit, hard working, athletic full back & his old man was a writer of some pretty decent tunes in the very late 80s..

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Would also say though that he spent last season on loan in L1 at Pompey & wasn’t an automatic choice. Fit, hard working, athletic full back & his old man was a writer of some pretty decent tunes in the very late 80s..

I have watched Romeo a few times down here going back as far as 2016 when he was linked with Arsenal and have always been impressed, though the time to sign him was back then as he's not kicked on in the Millwall team.

For one thing, in the games I have been at however well he plays he never seems to fully inspire confidence of the home fans in a way other defenders are more immune to. Can't quite put my finger on what made him different....

Speaking of which, what did for him was the taking the knee stuff. Because Millwall don't do it he raised a fist instead in a Black Power gesture and the vast majority of Millwall fans have been hounding him out of the club ever since. 

On that basis he probably represents value for money as Millwall managed to devalue him for non footballing reasons. But he hasn't consistently held down a right back role by making it his own, and at his age he needs to prove he can. 

Edited by Olé
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1