IGNORED

Let’s keep our heads

BCFCGav

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

I said it on match thread - the green shoots of recovery are there. Vyner though is a league 1 centre back vs a lower end prem striker. Complete mis match. But we are playing much better and I’m feeling far more confident about games against teams at our level now (ie not Fulham, Bournemouth etc) 

Agreed.  From the starting 11 today we need upgrades on Vyner, COD, King and DaSilva, but the core of competitive `championship team is being to coalesce.

10 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If we survive this season which most agree we will. How we are going to fare next season. Unless we clear  Wells and Palmer and buy really well then it will be another massive struggle. And I don't like to say it but I am not sure if Pearson is up to it. 

I think he is ? 

We’ve just created a huge pile of crap off the pitch thats going to take a while to sort it.

Difficult, I know, but we’ll get there ?

Edited by 054123
  • Like 2
  • Robin 3

The silver lining today was Semenyo bagging a brace. That’ll boost his belief and confidence that he really does belong in the Championship .

I said at the start of the season that he’d get a few goals ( and got laughed at) and I reckon that with regular starts he’ll get well into double figures this campaign.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If we survive this season which most agree we will. How we are going to fare next season. Unless we clear  Wells and Palmer and buy really well then it will be another massive struggle. And I don't like to say it but I am not sure if Pearson is up to it. 

See I don't think it will. The improvements from our young players this season has been great. They will need to continue to progress granted, but that coupled with a couple of decent signings and we will do much better. 

Were a team that failure money clubs eat for breakfast. 

What worries me is that an Eastern European international Defender (Kalas) has been absolutely ruined by an Eastern European International Striker (Mitrovic) 

We don't need forwards, we need competent defenders and we have none. Kalas is proving to be an absolute bust. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

So far he's blooded a lot of youngsters, yes there will be bumps in the road and he will be able to add the odd bit of quality if we sell a player. In my eyes he's doing it right, how many players have we signed in the past which we barely used OR did and they were dreadful?? He doesn't even bother with these signings, which is great!

You can see even today we are doing better so until I'm thinking Pearson's not up to it, why even question it? 

Have we improved? Are we having more chances? Are we in more of these games in general? 

Let's be honest, we are in a bad place financially and I'm sure we all would love to change players etc however I can not see what quality would be added by getting rid of Pearson. He's dealing with a work in progress. If we got rid of him, there's also the issue whoever you replace him with wanting their own players/staff etc. Which we can not afford, I'm happy with Pearson but for anyone saying different well to put it bluntly you are stuck with him. Best to get on board and try and enjoy the ride!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let’s also stop all this “we need a striker” bollocks.

Far rather persevere with Semenyo than sign the likes of Clarke-Harris.

Bigger issues at the other end of the pitch, especially if Baker isn’t going to return.

Been saying the same for a while haven't we!

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The silver lining today was Semenyo bagging a brace. That’ll boost his belief and confidence that he really does belong in the Championship .

I said at the start of the season that he’d get a few goals ( and got laughed at) and I reckon that with regular starts he’ll get well into double figures this campaign.

Power and pace, good pair of feet, physical.  Gives his marker a hard time, creates space for others.  A lot got like.  And a bigger threat centrally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

We have it a go and if we play like that v Cardiff next week will probably get 3 points 

I think we have to get all the points next week dont we, with Luton then Bogey team Preston to follow.

Be sure Cardiff will want all the points as well, it wont be easy.

Saw many posts today looking for other teams results below us, we cant rely on others for much longer and some bit tough Feb matches to follow.

35 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Agreed but still don’t rate Pearson.

If we’re a ‘poor club’ now, as our annual accounts would suggest, I’d much rather have a young, progressive, up and coming head coach who could at least fill me with a bit of excitement for the future.

We had one of those. It didn’t work out particularly well in the end and the consensus was we needed an experienced manager with a proven record in the second tier. Now we have one of those and we want a young coach again!

Plenty of signs recently that we are gradually turning the corner. Today is a bit of an outlier given the quality of the opposition, but performances have been improving. Dispensing with the manager now - a hugely expensive exercise at a time when the last thing the club can afford is another pay-off - would be madness. Whoever is in charge, we are simply not in a position to throw money at it and surge up the league. We have to recognise the improvement is going to be slow in the current climate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Over the games we've played against Fulham this season Atkinson has handled Mitrovic better than anyone

Yes indeed, surprised NP went with Vyner today. 

We have to keep faith with the change of style, passing along the ground, mobile forwards and we will get wins against the other bottom half teams for sure. Must not go  backwards to starting slow coach Martin and hoofing it towards him.

• Like 1

The odds yesterday on us to win today were 11/1, because a) the amount of money going on Fulham, and b) we were never to going to win. 

However, at least we had a good go at them on their own turf. Two quality finishes from a developing Semenyo and plenty to be positive about. UTC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Just gotta suck this one up. Mitrovic is on over 100k a week such is parachute payments. This game doesn’t define us. The aim this season was to shed a tonne of the wage bill and survive. We’ve done one and will do the other.

COYR

2-6 is a thumping at any level of football. Yet I don't think we should flip our brains over this one.

A year ago, it could easily have been a defeat with a rugby score of 10 or 15 to nil.

We took the game to Fulham whenever possible. Semenyo scored two super goals and at 2-3 if Weimann had scored or the ref had given the penalty, we would have been 3-3 instead of two minutes later 2-5.

We have made a great deal of progress this season and must turn it around yet again and win next Saturday to keep us far enough away from the bottom.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, gl2 said:

I think we have to get all the points next week dont we, with Luton then Bogey team Preston to follow.

Be sure Cardiff will want all the points as well, it wont be easy.

Saw many posts today looking for other teams results below us, we cant rely on others for much longer and some bit tough Feb matches to follow.

Of course it won’t be easy.

However Peterborough got hammered at home yet again, Cardiff lost for the 8th time in the last 9 home games (imagine if that was us), Barnsley are both adrift & going to run into a huge fixture backlog (which was what did for Rotherham last year).

Derby have done brilliantly but look like they are heading for financial implosion & I would not put my house on Rooney not being Everton boss before the month is out..

I know some get off on “we’re going to lose our next 15 & everyone else is going to win every week” but it really isn’t happening.

• Like 10

We will stay up this season, WRDC, Posh & Barnsley aren`t going to catch us and we can look back and say that the emergence of Tanner, Atkinson, Pring, Scott, Benarous, Semenyo, even Max along with the improvement in HNM more than outweighs the negatives of getting a few gubbings along the way. All those players will be a year older with valuable championship experience.

Glass more than half full for me.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Power and pace, good pair of feet, physical.  Gives his marker a hard time, creates space for others.  A lot got like.  And a bigger threat centrally.

Both of goals were a combination of power and pace and watching them on Sky reminded me of a young Romelu Lukaku who has the same power and pace but is obviously years ahead of Semenyo in terms of class and experience.

Should Semenyo start banging them in he’ll obviously attract lots of interest from bigger clubs. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Agreed but still don’t rate Pearson.

If we’re a ‘poor club’ now, as our annual accounts would suggest, I’d much rather have a young, progressive, up and coming head coach who could at least fill me with a bit of excitement for the future.

The Problem for me is - as we saw with Holden - inexperienced coach + inexperienced players = recipe for disaster.

Pearson may not prove the long term answer but he is giving our young players experience and chances to play. That could pay dividends in the long run, regardless of if Pearson is ultimately the one to reap the rewards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, Fulham have a much better side than us, however the scoreline was down to our errors rather than their technique.

If we had more mental resilience, the ability to win a header in our own penalty area and the desire to close players down it would’ve been a different game. For want of a better phrase we lack defensive IQ massively, needs addressing before we worry about the midfield or attack.

I’d like to give praise to Max O’Leary, considering he conceded six due to the shambles in front of him he dealt with difficult backpasses really well and got us out of jail a few times with excellent distribution. Quite happy to cash in on Bentley and give him the number one shirt.

• Like 3

I am just wondering if a back 4 has some merits- or am I being reactive?

When fully fit maybe...

O'Leary

Tanner Kalas Baker/Atkinson Pring

Massengo James Williams

Scott

Semenyo Weimann 

I appreciate what O'Dowda does out of possession though and Semenyo, Weimann and O'Dowda gives a natural symmetery- they'd all be in the 18 because...

Bentley, Vyner, Baker/Atkinson, Pring, O'Dowda, Benarous, Martin.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Just gotta suck this one up. Mitrovic is on over 100k a week such is parachute payments. This game doesn’t define us. The aim this season was to shed a tonne of the wage bill and survive. We’ve done one and will do the other.

COYR

Agree. And worth saying, despite scoreline, there were really obvious positives. I hope that first 30 mins does define us. I really enjoyed it.

We were bettered by a striker who has no business being in this division, hence scoring just under half a million goals this season. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yes indeed, surprised NP went with Vyner today. 

We have to keep faith with the change of style, passing along the ground, mobile forwards and we will get wins against the other bottom half teams for sure. Must not go  backwards to starting slow coach Martin and hoofing it towards him.

I agree with a lot of this but Vyner has done okay but still not sure we have the balance right yet- and Martin think you're a bit harsh on, hitting it long to him did him few favours as well as us. Starting him 23 games was it in succession didn't help him either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Lots to be positive about from today Samenyo and all our young guns ?up against a side of mercenaries on massive wages  Fulham are one of the better teams for only one reason parachute ? payments and for no other reason. The cottage has been a good hunting ground for us in previous seasons. Onwards and upwards to Cardiff next week. There is along way to go but I can see promise starting to develop. COYR 

• Like 2

I watched the game on a Fulham thread and apart from their goals (two of which I think VAR would have been very interested in Mitrovic pushing our defenders) - and the penalty decision, which if it had been in our penalty area I bet it would have been given, I thought we did ok and would beat many other Championship sides with that performance. 

That said the mismatch defensive set up was always going to give us problems - either Kalas should have been given Mitrovic to man mark - or we should have played Atkinson from the start. 

I agree with other comments that the team are looking more progressive and exciting, and assuming we stay up then next season starts afresh with Semenyo being our main striker. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slack said:

So far he's blooded a lot of youngsters, yes there will be bumps in the road and he will be able to add the odd bit of quality if we sell a player. In my eyes he's doing it right, how many players have we signed in the past which we barely used OR did and they were dreadful?? He doesn't even bother with these signings, which is great!

You can see even today we are doing better so until I'm thinking Pearson's not up to it, why even question it? 

Have we improved? Are we having more chances? Are we in more of these games in general? 

Let's be honest, we are in a bad place financially and I'm sure we all would love to change players etc however I can not see what quality would be added by getting rid of Pearson. He's dealing with a work in progress. If we got rid of him, there's also the issue whoever you replace him with wanting their own players/staff etc. Which we can not afford, I'm happy with Pearson but for anyone saying different well to put it bluntly you are stuck with him. Best to get on board and try and enjoy the ride!

I am very firmly behind Pearson. He’s building a team from our academy because he has too. He has a three year mandate and as long as we stay up and keep blooding our boys then post (we hope) Covid that puts us well in advance of many other clubs. Many of whom don’t even have academy’s.

However if I were to put that to one side I would agree for anyone saying get rid of him, unless they are a genius coach and motivator yourself willing to work for free then best shut the **** up!  

• Like 1