IGNORED

Semenyo

BCFC Rich

13 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Kevin Betsy is a bizarre comparison. Plus Antoine is currently playing as a striker not a winger. It’s clear that he has all the attributes to be a top player at this level. If he can improve his finishing then who knows how far he can go.

Another one who wants to spend a Saturday evening stressing at how Kevin Betsy was a different type of player to AS...!

I didn't say they were similar players. I said that both had all the physical attributes to excel at the required level and KB was one who didn't make the most of that. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Why does Semenyo have to be compared with only black players ?!

OMG! Seriously...?! 

Thankfully, that hadn't even come into my consideration. 

• Like 2

I don't think he will ever have that, cool , calm killer instant in the box. He has strength , power and deceptive pace. I hope he relaxes into the role as he plays more and feels more confident. Being 2 footed is a massive bonus, but in the past he has seemed to get excited which caused his shooting to be less than accurate . That's the difference between training and games, easy to be clm when there's nothing on it , in games that killer instinct is a big plus for strikers. Yesterday would have given him confidence, I hope to see much more now.

On a side note, this is the sort of forward line I have been wanting for some time. Martin has done a job, but having pace and most of all movement up front makes us a better side. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Another one who wants to spend a Saturday evening stressing at how Kevin Betsy was a different type of player to AS...!

I didn't say they were similar players. I said that both had all the physical attributes to excel at the required level and KB was one who didn't make the most of that. 

OMG! Seriously...?! 

Certainly no stressing on my part….generally on a forum these things are said to engage debate, hence why I commented. It was an interesting comparison so I don’t get why you are getting so defensive about it why people respond to it. Relax fella ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

OMG! Seriously...?! 

I see it all the time with black player comparisons.  I think it’s an unconscious thing for most. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Dosent matter to this expert who has written Semenyo off.

A lot could see he's like a firework just needs that spark. BTRFTG thinks he's a cut above with his opinions on,well everything.

Semenyo is young enough to get near the top . IMHO.

For me it is a vivid demonstration of how much high level sports performance is driven by confidence. When we were losing at home, we all expected to lose (so did the players). Opponents would score and the whole team seemed to think “oh well, that’s that then”. You do wonder how much of “x or y player doesn’t even try” is down to this. The flipside is, if you score a couple of crackers against a very good team, you MAY start to believe you are capable of anything. I sure hope so. 

• Like 1

Have always said once he can start scoring he’d be off to the prem and not to a crap team either like a Watford or Burnley. He’s the right build, has great strength, is quick and has power in his shots too. Best of all he’s young and English. If he can get in to double figures this season and Alex Scott can carry on as he is. They could both be the answers to our financial problems. Which had we not been in I’d be praying for us to keep them and build a team around them but with things as they are, we’re desperate for some big fees. These 2 could very well put us back in the clear, or close to it at least. I’m sure lansdown and co are thinking the same. 

42 minutes ago, Negan said:

Have always said once he can start scoring he’d be off to the prem and not to a crap team either like a Watford or Burnley. He’s the right build, has great strength, is quick and has power in his shots too. Best of all he’s young and English. If he can get in to double figures this season and Alex Scott can carry on as he is. They could both be the answers to our financial problems. Which had we not been in I’d be praying for us to keep them and build a team around them but with things as they are, we’re desperate for some big fees. These 2 could very well put us back in the clear, or close to it at least. I’m sure lansdown and co are thinking the same. 

Yes, I'm sure they're thinking the same thing. Trouble is that we'd then be without them. Develop potential and then sell once they get any good ain't going to get is to the Prem anytime soon.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Today is another example of why I advocate playing him centrally.

Boy, this we miss Chris Martin though.....on defensive corners!!

Someone who we most definitely miss on defensive corners is Diedhiou....I appreciate he is long gone       , but he was excellent at defensive headers?

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Glad you’ve written off a player who turned 22 this week, and has for the first time in his career here started more than 2 consecutive games as a centre forward!

How’s “flappy” doing btw? ?

C’mon, give the lad a chance.

Did really well yesterday but as for give him a chance - he's had loads.

As I said I'd love him to prove me wrong but I don't think he ever will.

Remind, what's his stats to date?

18 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Are you not going to give him a childish nickname?

What do you suggest?

18 hours ago, DaveF said:

Christ imagine just turning 22 having scored 2 fantastic goals against the best team in the league and reading this negative crap... We might as well give up completely with this attitude.

What negativity? I said he took his goals really well today. I also reminded the quality of his finishing was wholly uncharacteristic.

For us in the Championship that's 5 goals in 70 appearances. That's partly why, save others points deductions, we'd be looking at Div 1 next year.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

What negativity? I said he took his goals really well today. I also reminded the quality of his finishing was wholly uncharacteristic.

For us in the Championship that's 5 goals in 70 appearances. That's partly why, save others points deductions, we'd be looking at Div 1 next year.

So compare him to Brereton Diaz who managed 10 in his first 90 appearances it’s not so different. Some young players just need time and patience.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

You keep ignoring how many times he’s played as a centre forward, in that set of appearances, his age at the start of those apps, his age now, etc.

image.png.22d96cb86a2bd19e714a00afc62ddc88.png

8 goals and 11 assists in the equivalent of 44.5 games (of 90mins).

19 goal contributions in 44.5 games for a guy who not played much as a centre forward.  About 55% of his minutes are categorised as a forward.  Otherwise his rate of return is better than Paterson, not quite Eliasson though.

Id say the stats are relatively positive, and the trend shows it’s upward.

Why force yourself to declare you view of a player so young?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Calculus said:

Yes, I'm sure they're thinking the same thing. Trouble is that we'd then be without them. Develop potential and then sell once they get any good ain't going to get is to the Prem anytime soon.

But it helps keep our clubs head above water. I know they said they’d rather take a points deduction than sell our best players but if Semenyo and Scott were to go, we wouldn’t be much worse off overall but a lot better off financially. Be a shame to see them go but we’re in serious need of cash coming in. Might be a painful summer window I feel. 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

But it helps keep our clubs head above water. I know they said they’d rather take a points deduction than sell our best players but if Semenyo and Scott were to go, we wouldn’t be much worse off overall but a lot better off financially. Be a shame to see them go but we’re in serious need of cash coming in. Might be a painful summer window I feel. 

Problem is when you take the bright prospects away and lower our potential, you just erode season ticket renewal further. Lop another 1,000 off if those two go ...

I'm one of those that always felt AS would be a front man but one that played off another. He showed what he can do as the centre forward yesterday and he could be an absolute star there, just needs to continue to play there and believe he can do it and we may have something quite special on our hands.

Is he a natural finisher? Maybe not at the present time but he certainly has all the attributes.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 18:24, Bar BS3 said:

What do you think it means..?! 

Will he go on to be a top championship player, makes an impact in the PL, with his pace & power..... Or will he flatter to deceive and fail at the required level and dissappear into oblivion..? 

Not really sure, I don't like to make assumptions about this sort of thing but I'm with @And Its Smith in that the choice of players you've selected here seems a bit suspect.

Ignoring that though, Kevin Betsy is a really strange choice. His play style was nothing like Semenyo and is really different from Traore.

On 15/01/2022 at 21:46, Fordy62 said:

Because they always break our hearts Phil. It’s a way of preparing ourselves. ? 

There is definitely something in that, it's a bit of self preservation I think. Comes across as a small club mentality to me though. 

The "enjoy him whilst he's here" attitude is really defeatist - one of my (many) forum bug-bears. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You keep ignoring how many times he’s played as a centre forward, in that set of appearances, his age at the start of those apps, his age now, etc.

image.png.22d96cb86a2bd19e714a00afc62ddc88.png

8 goals and 11 assists in the equivalent of 44.5 games (of 90mins).

19 goal contributions in 44.5 games for a guy who not played much as a centre forward.  About 55% of his minutes are categorised as a forward.  Otherwise his rate of return is better than Paterson, not quite Eliasson though.

Id say the stats are relatively positive, and the trend shows it’s upward.

Why force yourself to declare you view of a player so young?

Plus just 34 of those were starts, 36 sub.

Some of those probably in the last 10 minutes.

I for one am happy to eat humble pie from seeing him as too raw before, if he ends the season with 7 or 8 goals it will be a good return & indicative of his trajectory.

• Like 3

On 15/01/2022 at 17:29, joe jordans teeth said:

Think we all know he’s a proper handful with his pace and abilities,of course some will slag him off about his finishing sometimes but then it will improve with time,would much rather have him at our club than the likes of Palmer and Wells

Steve L has probably already asked for a valuation

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus just 34 of those were starts, 36 sub.

Some of those probably in the last 10 minutes.

I for one am happy to eat humble pie from seeing him as too raw before, if he ends the season with 7 or 8 goals it will be a good return & indicative of his trajectory.

He still is raw in many respects, but the manager and coaching staff are polishing him gradually.

In time I think he could become a similar player to Michail Antonio. Powerful with very good movement.  He has an exceptionally high ceiling I think.   Where was Antonio at the same age?

If his core CF skills are improved and he becomes a more consistent finisher he will certainly make the Prem at a decent level.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

In time I think he could become a similar player to Michail Antonio. Powerful with very good movement.  He has an exceptionally high ceiling I think.   Where was Antonio at the same age?

If his core CF skills are improved and he becomes a more consistent finisher he will certainly make the Prem at a decent level.

Same level as Semenyo, doing a decent job in the championship for Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 1