IGNORED

Semenyo

BCFC Rich

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really sure, I don't like to make assumptions about this sort of thing but I'm with @And Its Smith in that the choice of players you've selected here seems a bit suspect.

Ignoring that though, Kevin Betsy is a really strange choice. His play style was nothing like Semenyo and is really different from Traore.

Then you aren't reading my post properly..! 

I didn't at any point suggest that they any simularities in playing styles or positions - I Said, that they all had the physical attributes to be good players. 

They all had/have good height, athetisism, pace & strength. 

Traore (just a random example, demonstrates the kind of career the As could hope for. 

Betsy, on the other hand, didn't really make the most of his physical attributes and never made a name for himself above the 3rd tier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Then you aren't reading my post properly..! 

I didn't at any point suggest that they any simularities in playing styles or positions - I Said, that they all had the physical attributes to be good players. 

They all had/have good height, athetisism, pace & strength. 

Traore (just a random example, demonstrates the kind of career the As could hope for. 

Betsy, on the other hand, didn't really make the most of his physical attributes and never made a name for himself above the 3rd tier. 

I understood exactly what you meant. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 17:16, Davefevs said:

Otherwise his rate of return is better than Paterson, not quite Eliasson though.

Jesus Christ. We are doomed....

I hope Semenyo scores hatfulls, he needs to to save us, but I won't put my money on it.

As for 22 being young, not in modern football it isn't. 

38 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Jesus Christ. We are doomed....

I hope Semenyo scores hatfulls, he needs to to save us, but I won't put my money on it.

As for 22 being young, not in modern football it isn't. 

Believe it or not, 22 is young in modern football. The age of Players breaking through and becoming regulars has gone up, due to the physical demands of modern day football.  As is the age of players still playing, it’s got older.  In “our day”, 30 was ready for the knacker’s yard, now it’s not.

The likes of Scott are the exception.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Believe it or not, 22 is young in modern football. The age of Players breaking through and becoming regulars has gone up, due to the physical demands of modern day football.  As is the age of players still playing, it’s got older.  In “our day”, 30 was ready for the knacker’s yard, now it’s not.

Would you say that more promising youngsters are now being signed up by the multitude of well-financed academies?  Compared to the days of my youth, when kids who were good at the game signed "schoolboy papers" with clubs, but in practice didn't spend that much time training with the professionals. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funny that because there are dozens of players younger that in both Championship & Premier & 22 is the age City tend to drop the ones fir the future who never were.

Hopefully Semenyo is a late bloomer but his return to date in respect of both goals and assists is exactly why we are where we are.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Funny that because there are dozens of players younger that in both Championship & Premier & 22 is the age City tend to drop the ones fir the future who never were.

Hopefully Semenyo is a late bloomer but his return to date in respect of both goals and assists is exactly why we are where we are.

Just because he isn't Jude Bellingham doesn't mean he doesn't have a high ceiling.

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Would you say that more promising youngsters are now being signed up by the multitude of well-financed academies?  Compared to the days of my youth, when kids who were good at the game signed "schoolboy papers" with clubs, but in practice didn't spend that much time training with the professionals. 

Possibly.  I think the advent of u23 football, the loan system, the demise of Reserve Teams (except the likes of Brentford B and a few others) has had an impact.

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Dozens…yep.

image.thumb.png.8ceda143bfbab1c6d582b69c34901e14.png

A useful graphic to show how few minutes are played by youngsters in the Champ.

All I’m really trying to say is that Semenyo at just turned 22 hasn’t peaked yet…so not the time to form an opinion (yet) that his previous record is an indication of the future.  Not forgetting he’s late to the pro game too.

Edited by Davefevs

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In “our day”, 30 was ready for the knacker’s yard, now it’s not.

Dave, I'm sure that when we signed Joe Royle, Alan Dicks said that a striker hits his prime when 29. 

That means he only had 12 months before the yard!

• Haha 1

Had a slow start to his city career. He must of thought he was on his way to Chelsea but it didn’t materialise. Signed his new contract but didn’t really get going. Plus injuries and his failure to score goals. But since he has come back I have been very impressed with him . His power and directness we have been crying out for. And his 2 goals against Fulham were of very high quality and showed me what he is all about. Starting to flourish under NP along with some other youngsters. No coincidence IMO

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

His shots per game looks like it's gone way up (I haven't checked). I think he's been a little overawed by the Championship and Pearson has told him in no uncertain terms that his job is to get through on goal and shoot. And now we're seeing the benefit.

For want of better phrasing he hit the ball with anger whenever he was in front of goal last Saturday. Instead of rushing the shot or taking too long to pick a spot as he's done previously, when the opportunity for a shot arose he got the ball out of his feet, took a step and just struck the ball cleanly and hard. The way he shrugged off their centre backs and ran half the length of the pitch showed that "**** it, I'll do it myself" mentality that Harry Brooks and other coaches attribute with top players.

Whether that was a flash in the pan or the start of something exciting remains to be seen, but there's promising signs there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Had a slow start to his city career. He must of thought he was on his way to Chelsea but it didn’t materialise. Signed his new contract but didn’t really get going. Plus injuries and his failure to score goals. But since he has come back I have been very impressed with him . His power and directness we have been crying out for. And his 2 goals against Fulham were of very high quality and showed me what he is all about. Starting to flourish under NP along with some other youngsters. No coincidence IMO

I've been critical of Antoine in the past and thought he might be playing in the wrong position, but your penultimate line hits a very good point.  Certain players just "click" with certain managers and certain types of coaching.

Antoine will be still on the curve where experience and maturity is improving him as a player every year. But the Pearson effect on his recent performances shouldn't be underestimated.

Conversely of course, there may be some players who do not like Nige and haven't bought into what he is trying to do. We probably saw most of those depart in the summer, but there may be a few still here.  Football is a game where personalities can clash and affect performance.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly.  I think the advent of u23 football, the loan system, the demise of Reserve Teams (except the likes of Brentford B and a few others) has had an impact.

Dozens…yep.

image.thumb.png.8ceda143bfbab1c6d582b69c34901e14.png

A useful graphic to show how few minutes are played by youngsters in the Champ.

All I’m really trying to say is that Semenyo at just turned 22 hasn’t peaked yet…so not the time to form an opinion (yet) that his previous record is an indication of the future.  Not forgetting he’s late to the pro game too.

I can forgive our previous failings if SL confirms that his number one objective to previous management, was to ensure our age chart resembled a graduation ceremony in a pendulum factory. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Just because he isn't Jude Bellingham doesn't mean he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Until Saturday judgement of height has been one of his main weaknesses, though could be he's watched Weimann to closely in training for whom the crossbar could never be high enough.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Dave, I'm sure that when we signed Joe Royle, Alan Dicks said that a striker hits his prime when 29. 

That means he only had 12 months before the yard!

Well, for the 6 months after he signed he proved to be 'prime' City striker material, never nearer than nodding acquaintance with the Onionbag.....

40 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Until Saturday judgement of height has been one of his main weaknesses, though could be he's watched Weimann to closely in training for whom the crossbar could never be high enough.

Very weird stick to beat our top goal scorer with but each to their own. Yep, Semenyo's been guilty of leaning back as he shoots but that certainly wasn't the case on Saturday. Said my piece on his finishes in another post:

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

For want of better phrasing he hit the ball with anger whenever he was in front of goal last Saturday. Instead of rushing the shot or taking too long to pick a spot as he's done previously, when the opportunity for a shot arose he got the ball out of his feet, took a step and just struck the ball cleanly and hard. The way he shrugged off their centre backs and ran half the length of the pitch showed that "**** it, I'll do it myself" mentality that Harry Brooks and other coaches attribute with top players.

Whether that was a flash in the pan or the start of something exciting remains to be seen, but there's promising signs there.

As you've made extremely clear this doesn't necessarily mean he's turned a corner, but from a purely technical POV his performance on Saturday displayed everything you want from a top forward.

49 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Well, for the 6 months after he signed he proved to be 'prime' City striker material, never nearer than nodding acquaintance with the Onionbag.....

Yep, he scored 4 on debut, a hatrick v Cov on Boxing Day, and another 12 goals in 120-odd games!